Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyAV Dec 13, 2016

In my search for vintage "serviced" omegas, I have come across a '75 moon watch that has had a full service. According to seller parts replaced: Mainspring, Chrono Switch, Setting Lever, Full Service, Two Crown Pushers, Crown and Crystal. I asked if the original parts will come with the watch and seller responded that watchmaker probably threw them in the garbage and that he never asked him for them. There is a receipt for all of the services performed, but I thought having the original parts would be an added bonus for selling purposes. Do you folks keep or throw away original parts after service? Is there any value in keeping the original parts?

2. abrod520 Dec 13, 2016

Always keep original parts after service. I also recommend instructing the watchmaker to leave all cosmetic parts original if possible. Certainly the original crown, pushers and crystal would have added value to this particular watch, though perhaps not as much as an older-logo crown and crystal.

3. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Dec 13, 2016

Keep!!!

4. wristpirate Dec 13, 2016

Keep for sure

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 13, 2016

It makes sense to keep some, but not all, parts replaced in service.

What are you going to do with a broken mainspring, worn-out movement lever, or cracked crystal?

voere, wsfarrell and Larry S like this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 13, 2016

Why would you throw away? More is always better

OMGRLX and JohnSteed like this.
  7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 13, 2016

I like to keep the parts that have been replaced following servicing. I like to study the replaced parts under magnification in hopes of gaining knowledge as to how things mechanically fit together and operate.

Willem023, SpeedyAV and OMGRLX like this.
  8. alam Dec 13, 2016

bring them to my basement, plenty storage space remaining.... :)

SpeedyAV likes this.
  9. richardew Dec 14, 2016

The used crown and pushers are just about worthless. They have seals. They are meant to be used only once. After service you want/need your watch to be water/air tight. Using the old crown and or pushers won't facilitate this. Letting the elements into your movement isn't a good way to roll. One way to preserve the original crown and pushers is to not remove them when the watch is serviced and pressure test it.