Forums Latest Members

Justifications for a new watch?

1. Zygmont Feb 3, 2019

Hello all,

This is the first post from a long-time lurking Noob. I hope you might forgive this note, and do know I would be delighted at any help you might provide me. I have a question, but it requires a bit of backstory. So here goes.

In the summer of 2004—I was set to begin my fourth year as a PhD student—I purchased a Tag Heuer watch through a grey market dealer (although to be fair, I have no idea what grey market meant back then). The watch has served me wonderfully well. Back seven years ago or so, when I had a new battery installed, I asked the jeweler who was putting it in how long the watch might last.

“You’re going to give that watch to your son, sir,” responded.

I did not have any sons at that point.

Since I purchased that watch 14.5 years ago, I’ve finished my degree, become an Assistant Professor, got tenure and was promoted to Associate Professor, and then in 2017 was promoted to Full. I took another that job that year and became as Associate Dean. And in the summer in 2018 having completed my first year in my new job, I took six students to France for a month. And while there, I walked by—daily—a jewelry store where I gazed at a Heuer Monaco.

And so as a way of celebrating the end of my first year on the new job (and because I really wanted the damn watch), I bought it.

I’ve had it since August. And I still love the watch.

And I want another. I’m leaning towards a Speedmaster ’57. But that’s a post for another day.

Today, I want to inquire about how we collectively justify having more than one watch when generally we wear no more than one at a time. I mentioned my desire at another watch my my wife and she looked at me as if I had gone bananas.

{Full disclosure: My wife and I both take a ‘do—whatever-you-want-with-it cut from each paycheck, so I would be using ‘my’ cash for this purchase, not ‘ours.’]

I’ve tried the, “we have two sons, so I need to get a great watch for each of them” approach. And I’ve also tried the, “Hey…I’m an art historian; I have a particular affinity for beautiful things” approach, too. Neither have particular washed with her.

And I’m not sure how to explain this desire. I want a Speedy because I really want a Speedy. I’m not sure I need to have a more nuanced answer than this, but figure many of you might have a better answer.

And I would be delighted to read what those might be, for I bet many (many!) might have a far bigger ‘problem’ than I have. So I’d be delighted at any brilliance you might all be willing to share.

Yours in time,
    Bryan Zygmont

2. Folgono Feb 3, 2019

Well I think that you just don't. At one point you just can't rationalize buying several watches costing that much. So you say "screw it" and proceed to frenetically purchase then sell watches when you realize you have too many. Then you'll realize it's meaningless and you'll proceed to "rationalize" your collection to keep only 3 watches. Then you'll start again to buy more and welcome to the never ending loop. :D

3. Muddlerminnow Feb 3, 2019

As someone who climbed the tenure ladder, I know the feeling that you have 'earned' it. But this is not about you--it's about her. Talk to her about diversification of assets--quality watches as a small part of your portfolio. Ask her what she'd want too. Investing in your future is not just about money, it's about being happy and enjoying life, and feeling good about both yourselves and each other--and trust.

Good luck--if you get the Speedy, post pictures!

KingCrouchy and Chaz Goldenrod like this.
  4. kkt Feb 3, 2019

If it's your money, you don't need to justify it to anyone.

Matty01 likes this.
  5. Vitezi Feb 3, 2019

I'm confused...you're on a collectors forum to ask about justifying a watch purchase? ::confused2::

Shabbaz, Matty01, KingCrouchy and 5 others like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 3, 2019

6CB96A99-F71D-4671-9A67-AEEDF2442058.gif

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2019

Justifications for a new watch?

We would like to help, but what is this "justifications" word in English ??

KingCrouchy, OHS and Vitezi like this.
  8. Chaz Goldenrod Feb 4, 2019

The enjoyment of collecting as a hobby can be a justification in itself. Collecting is a very mainstream activity, why not collect watches? There is a social benefit to collecting too as demonstrated by this fine community.

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Feb 4, 2019

Which is sort of like [but not exactly the same as] asking about justifying a Metallica t-shirt and/or Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner purchase if those items are collected. :thumbsup:

FEB4C362-3870-431D-B786-45DE902442AB.jpeg

Dan S, kkt, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2019

it’s the 50th anniversary of the moon landing so I am buying a moon watch.

Nothing more nothing less.

Pictures of your Monaco ( here is mine )
    C7B1FD33-8B58-408E-854B-950F750818CB.jpeg

Vitezi likes this.
  11. SeanO Feb 4, 2019

it's your money.

if you want to piss it up against the wall so what?

we all have our jewellery/shoes/handbags/guns/stamps/vinyl/stereo habits.

no biggie.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2019

Justification?

If you really need it, look no further for an exemplar than Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus, one of the world's greatest scholars (28 October 1466 – 12 July 1536).

While his fondness, or indeed his passion, was for books, and not watches, he set the rule for us all to follow, i.e.:

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”

MMMD, KingCrouchy, OHS and 2 others like this.
  13. MrJKLFoams Feb 4, 2019

Just buy what you like and enjoy it. Life is complicated if you make it to be and welcome to hororlogical loop ;)

14. gostang9 Feb 4, 2019

I do go through a sort of ‘justification’ or rather ‘rationalization’ for buying more than 1:

- do I have cash-in-hand not needed for anything else (bills, upcoming expenses, investments)
    - do I want the watch more than anything else

If answer is “yes” to both points, then I feel ‘justified’ that at least it’s as good a thing to do with my money as anything else might be.

Zygmont and Chaz Goldenrod like this.
  15. Zygmont Feb 4, 2019

26EBA0DD-8EF4-4811-8B82-064AC88D9046.jpeg
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 4, 2019

"Justifications" I have used:

1. It's Monday
    2. It's Tuesday
    3. It's Wednesday
    4. It's Thursday
    5. It's Friday
    6. It's Saturday
    7. It's Sunday

Shabbaz, smitty190373 and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  17. bardamu Feb 4, 2019

Life is too short to not buy another watch.

Woops likes this.
  18. Zygmont Feb 4, 2019

Well golly; this really helps me reframe my justification...:)

Vitezi likes this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 4, 2019

Ha ha, yes. Kind of like walking into a bar and asking all the people who have been camped out drinking since 11:00 am to convince you not to order a drink :D

Shabbaz, Mad Dog and OHS like this.
  20. stevec14 Feb 4, 2019

Does your wife have more than one pair of nice shoes/handbag? This is your do what you want with money?

Question answered :thumbsup:

Ps - I think the speedy will go very nicely with the lovely Monaco you have!

Dan S likes this.