Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2012

..... that I don't think I've ever had as much fun reading posts in a forum about a brand I have no freaking clue about. It's like a laid back class with a platoon of cool teachers. :thumbsup:

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

I'll second that. The Zenith forum has been one of the best editions here. Its seems like the Zenophiles have been flooding out the sew woodwork like happy hamsters. Who would have thought.

konlang.gif

Lou is like a proud papa with a new home for the kits.:thumbsup:

3. wmh Dec 7, 2012

Agree completely, fascinating stuff! There goes the bank account. ::facepalm2::

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Probably will end up going both ways, some Zenith guys are probably going to try the Pie-Pans and Speedmasters out at some point as well, while more than a few of us are now hunting an A386

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 7, 2012

Thanks very much for providing this forum for us Zenithites/Zenitistas/whatever we are. An excellent place to focus on the vintage.

Every time I draw a bead on a nice cal 321 moon watch, the Golden Squirrel of Distraction runs by in the form of an El Primero.:) Someday...

...but I do have this warty little thing, bought on a whim at a pawn shop:

[​IMG]

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 7, 2012

Not probably. Already.:D

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Well,as a Zenith enthusiast, I couldn't be happier with the welcome. The forum is just ideal for discussion of vintage watches, with no restrictions about links, prices, etc. It didn't take watching the vintage Omega forum function for long before it became evident you guys have created a great format and a forum culture that is a perfect blend of expertise, candor, collegiality and wise-assery.

Thanks for making the Zenith forum a reality.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

If the arrowhead markers in your watch are the less common white gold then that is a pretty uncommon constellation.

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 7, 2012

The arrowheads are white. Don't tell me I have a knack for Omegas. Well, this should expose me as a fraud... something's missing:

[​IMG]

How do I get me one of those little gold buttons with the igloo and the stars to pop in here?

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Watch eBay, either for a direct sale or another back that you can remove it from (if different reference)

11. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2012

That little guy lives in my back yard tree.

[​IMG]

He usually plays games with me by tossing an awesome AP or JLC out right after I've bought a nice but less graily piece, causing me to do budget contortions to snag it. Sometimes he even kills my piggy bank altogether by telling the Watch Gods to offer up 2 or 3 of my dream watches nearly simultaneously.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Better idea IMO, give that caseback to a watchmaker and get them to cut out the center and turn it into a sapphire displayback

13. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2012

Get a shot of the inside of the caseback and keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a NOS or nice conditioned replacement. They do pop up now & again for quite a few references.

I like it. :thumbsup:

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

If you're not ruining a good caseback there's no loss, and frankly since every modern watch with a displayback under $5k is an ETA 2892-A2 or a 7750, the Constellation movements by comparison are nothing short of beautiful

15. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2012

I agree that since the caseback is ruined anyway to go for the display back.

I disagree with the blanket statement about all 2892-A2's being less attractive than Connie bumpers though.

[​IMG]

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Is that connie a bumper? Looked like a 2852 with a 501/505 to me :\

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 7, 2012

Yeah, I believe the case back is marked 2852, and it's a 505. Interesting idea, the display back. Very interesting. I've been looking for Connie case backs on eBay, and there have been quite a few NOS ones coming out of Australia, but not the right one yet. Any way to pop out the medallion from another case back and reinsert without ruining everything?

18. Veritas99 Dec 7, 2012

The irony is that I tried to start with Omegas back in 2006, but didn't realize what I was getting myself into. My first automatic watch was a restored Constellation with a 561 and rose gold markers/hands, supposedly from 1968 (anyone remember OmegaLord?). Of course I came to realize that the numbers don't match and this model may never have existed. Clearly OEM parts, just not from the same watch. After that, I gave up for a few years until I started into Zenith in 2009.

[​IMG]

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 8, 2012

This is my smart-arrsery

20. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2012

No, no, no! We don't settle for knock-offs and copies here - we want authentic originals!