Forums Latest Members

Just purchased this vintage omega auto, now I'm wondering what I got...

1. Matt B Feb 17, 2014

Hi Everyone,

This is my first Vintage Omega so please be gentle! So, I was wondering if I could get some idea from the experts on what I have here.

I was going to wait to post once I actually got my hands on this thing, but the seller is taking his time sending it, so I figured I'd post sooner than later. These are the only photos I have (I can post better ones once I get it in my hands and can open up the back) but does anyone have a ball park of what I'm getting here?

As I mentioned, I'm new to vintage Omegas but based on my research I'm having a hard time nailing this one down because I don't see this one marked Seamaster, DeVille or Geneve. The only info I have are the photos, and he mentioned it's marked "T SWISS T" which means it's from the mid-60s at the earliest right?

It's from an estate sale re-seller who wasn't interested in getting a case back opener to inspect it for me, but the price I paid for it reflects the risk (Paid very little for it). He also says it runs well and keeps time well which is always a good start with any watch right?

I also can't seem to find any other matching faces to this one, so I wonder if it was a re-dial? In any case I guess I'd be OK with that either way as I plan on just putting on a fresh crystal and a decent strap and using it as a casual watch in the rotation. I like the simple looks of it, original or not.

So based on the seller's photos, does anyone have an idea of what I have here?

$_3-1.JPG $_3-2.JPG $_3-3.JPG $_3.JPG $_3.JPG

2. Matt B Feb 19, 2014

Ok, so I'm doing even more research and it appears that some watches were not branded as Seamaster, Deville, Geneve, etc. and were just plain Omega with either "Automatic" on the dial or given no other designation other than the Omega logo and name if it was a manual wind. How common was this? And does this mean that the watch is one of the lowest grade ones they produced, as in below a Geneve?

3. fjf Feb 19, 2014

Whatever it is, that watch is in desperate need of a cleanup!.

4. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Feb 19, 2014

Non-expert noob here. I don't have any answers but I will suggest waiting until you have the watch in hand and can submit some high-resolution (!) in-focus (!!) photos, including inside the watch and inside the back case. If there are numbers visible anywhere make sure all digits are visible. Some of them may appear to be impossibly small... take a BUNCH of pictures with different lightning and just submit the best ones. You'll probably get some replies then.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 19, 2014

I think the "grades" or models are more or less based on features, and should not be misconstrued as indicators of quality. Sure, some models were priced higher than others, but that had more to do with features (auto, date, water resistance). But any Omega caliber into the early 70's is a very good quality movement, no matter what model you find holding it.
    I'm guessing yours will have a caliber 550, 17 jewel movement, judging by the style. And if so, you're very lucky as these were part of a series of movements many consider to be Omega's finest.

6. fjf Feb 19, 2014

7. fjf Feb 19, 2014

I have a seamaster with the same case (I think). These are very nice watches, once you clean them and take them to the watchmaker to clean and oil the movement. I use mine a lot:

1.jpg 6.JPG 7.jpg P1010670.JPG
  8. Matt B Feb 19, 2014

Beautiful watch fjf! I hope mine turns out as well as yours.

9. Hijak Feb 19, 2014

+1 on that, very sharp fjf!:thumbsup:

10. Matt B Feb 22, 2014

So the watch finally arrived today! Much better condition than I expected! I did just a little clean up and put a band on it, and other than needing a new crystal, it's very nice! The seller just never bothered to clean it at all. Then I opened it up to find a pristine looking 550 movement in there just like Time Exposure said. The movement looks amazingly clean, at least to my untrained eye. Watch seems to be keeping excellent time as well, at least in the past 24 hours.

Then I checked the back cover for the model number and I have the same number as fjf does on his Seamaster: 165.002. However, my watch isn't marked Seamaster and my hour markers are slightly different? Does this mean I have a redial? Or were there just several variations to the 165.002 model?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. fjf Feb 23, 2014

I'll let the experts here give their opinion about the dial, but looks good to me; the fonts appear correct, although they seem a bit too thick. It may be a model not in the database (frequent). In any case, congrats!. A very nice watch to wear!. Those humble omega automatics from the sixties are amazing, and working fine after so many years!. Take it to a watchmaker to clean and oil the movement and enjoy!!.[​IMG]

12. Georgieboy58 Feb 23, 2014

-T Swiss T- is definitely not correct, so dial is repainted.
    I also see a gap between dial and case, missing rehaut, wrong dial diameter?

13. fjf Feb 23, 2014

You are right, should read -T SWISS MADE T-. In any case, if it was cheap, you got a nice wearer.

14. Matt B Feb 23, 2014

Well, that's a bummer about the dial, but I figured something was up since I did get it at a great price. I was feeling optimistic since it looked pretty close to real to me, and the movement appears to be in great shape. The crystal is even an OEM Omega with the logo in the center, but you're right, the "T Swiss T" should have alerted me. Oh well. At least the repaint job on the dial isn't horrible. I guess I'll just wear it and enjoy it… seems to be keeping great time and after cleaning it up and putting a new band on it, I think it looks pretty handsome!

Thanks for your help everyone on figuring out what I had. This is an excellent resource here. Now on to the hunt for my next (this time original) Omega!