Forums Latest Members

Just purchased this Constellation and looking for affirmation...

1. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

Hello, I'm new to this site and to Omega. After scouring the interwebs for a simple, black-dialed gold-cased dress watch, I fell in love with the vintage Seamaster and Constellation. After looking over a number of watches I landed on this one: http://bit.ly/1eRKT5O

I made an eBay offer for $800 and didn't realize if the seller accepted it, it meant the item was mine to pay for. Can't say that I'm upset. Long story short, it's on its way.

I thought I'd check in here to see what y'all think, regarding:
    1) does it appear genuine?
    2) about what year it's from?
    3) in good shape considering question 2)?
    4) what it's worth depending on the above (got it for $800)?
    5) any other pertinent info you might have. I've read up on the history of the Constellation line and am excited and hopeful this was a solid purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

TexasKevin likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

Oh no. :confused: It's a redial - says so right in the listing. ::facepalm2:: [​IMG]

More than 30% of the value of a vintage Constellation is in having an original and good condition dial. Also, it's been polished too much. Plus that the movement might have been cobbled together judging by the difference in the color of the plating of the various parts. It all adds up to a watch worth maybe half of what you paid. :(

To answer your other question, the serial number dates it to 1966.

3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 30, 2013

I'm certainly no expert, however there are plenty here that are most generous with their knowledge. That being said: I believe "Professionally Refinished Black Dial" will not review very well with the more discerning members. Best to ask first then purchase! Just my 2C's,. Miki

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2013

It is genuine.
    Shape, not the best, very over polished. The dial is refinished, as stated by the seller (not an asset).
    Movement is certainly not in sparkle new condition, looks iffy, oscillating weight (rotor) has wear issues.
    The buckle is counterfeit, but that is not a big issue.
    Hands missing lume.
    Value $500-600,maybe, but most collectors would not want it.

5. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

Thanks for the responses! And all understood.

Definitely understand how these issues may decrease the value of the watch. What exactly is a "refinished" dial? Does that mean they just take it apart and clean it? Or is it a replacement from a different watch?

What effect does over-polishing have? What should it look like?

If this is the watch, or type of watch, I want to purchase, do you have an idea of what it should cost, and even better, a more reputable online source to look for one to buy?

And I guess last question is obviously a matter of opinion and preference over such details, but, should I return to sender and ask for a refund?

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 30, 2013

I think you're in luck there, as the seller offers a return policy. Just be sure to request a return quickly.

You could even ask if he would accept an item cancellation, as both you and the seller would waste money shipping it to each other. He might get pissy, though, if you ask him that.

Up to you.

7. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

I'd return it. A refinished dial means the original paint was stripped off and it was repainted. Not anything a collector would want unless it's very accurate and appropriately priced.

8. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

9. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

Yet ANOTHER redial. This seller is famous for not stating whether or not the dial is refinished, but if they get an original one they'll boast about that in the description.

ps - that price is also twice what it should be or more.

10. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

LAME. Are there any sellers or vendors you do trust?

11. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

Even good sellers offer redials, but at least they'll say so. You'll eventually develop an eye for what is and isn't correct. Try going through the WRUW thread:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/

Lots to absorb there!

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2013

The WRUW thread is a rather handy showroom of sorts, once you figure out what you like then you can start looking for a nice example of it.

13. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

Great, thanks everyone!

14. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

15. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

16. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

17. Lashford82 Dec 30, 2013

18. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 30, 2013

That's an incredible amount of money. :p I'd keep looking.

I advise, if you want to learn values of vintage pieces, to take a good long look at past auctions on Ebay. Although it might be hard for you to distinguish fully original pieces from redials, etc., it's a good place to start. You can look at the last two weeks of ended auctions via their search bar.

19. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2013

HOLY S::censored:: !!! I could see an asking price of $2200 even.

Much too high a price for a gold capped (thick plating) watch with a refinished case back. Nice dial and correct crown, but it's more of an $800-ish watch.

20. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 30, 2013

I agree with Dennis, plus there is a case clamp and there is the wrong crown on the Date at 6. Really nice dial though.