Forums Latest Members
  1. master64 May 25, 2019

In 63 the Automobil Club Peruano commissioned 50 speedmasters to be available to its members, the Peruvian auto club is in charge of organizing all the auto racing in the country. My father used to race and purchased one of these. I was also born in 64, and I recall this watch and trying to wear it even at a very young age.

To make a long story short went to the Omega store yesterday to drop it for service and to get a leather strap, as we are going through the watch and chatting with the salesperson about how the watch was in my family all these years and so on he suddenly asked me if I knew what A.C.P. was, I did not have any idea, so I said maybe something like accurate chronometer or something like that, then he got up and said that was coming right back. To my surprise the first thing he said when he came back was if my father had something to do with the Automobil Club Peruano, I was like how the hell you know about that? Well it was in the Omega registry book.

It almost brought tears to my eyes, I felt like the old guy was playing a joke on me. He passed away 15 years ago, but yesterday it was like we were sitting next to each other. I always cherished this piece, now is even more special knowing its history.

0E25E4F1-C6BE-4737-ADAE-A918B5EE8017.jpeg 08C5C1CB-8634-4C30-A2EB-CBC0FF263B7F.jpeg
    Edited May 26, 2019
    td69, bjhove, OmegaFan503 and 32 others like this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 25, 2019

What a wonderful memory to wear on your wrist. Thank you for sharing, and great watch!

3. wagudc May 25, 2019

Wow. Priceless! Thanks for sharing your story.

Ekonomer-Tuomas likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 25, 2019

Please don't let an official Omega store service the watch, they will destroy the vintage qualities that make this watch very valuable.
    They will replace parts and basically, make the watch look like new.

Get it back if you can and take your time to find an independent watchmaker who can perform a sympathetic restoration/service without affecting the originality or value.

NickC, Mark020, rmarks and 8 others like this.
  5. Screwbacks May 25, 2019

50 acp. amazing racing speedy.

6. JwRosenthal May 25, 2019

Welcome to the group, a wonderful story and family keepsake. As @JimInOz said, get it back immediately. Although the clerk may have been very nice, if they send it to omega for service, they will destroy the character of the watch by trying to make it like new-it’s what they do.

I’m sure someone on the forum can recommend a very competent watchmaker near you that will just service it properly and not touch the historic value od the watch

MMariotti likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 25, 2019

DO NOT LET THEM SERVICE IT!!!!

They will swap the dial hand and bezel!!! Ruining the look and value of a very expensive watch.

Get it back and tell us where you live and we can get you a watch maker.

felsby, rmarks, kov and 2 others like this.
  8. master64 May 25, 2019

I got it back already this morning.

ndgal, MikiJ, Archer and 8 others like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 25, 2019

[​IMG]

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 25, 2019

It isn't that Omega wouldn't do a good job.
    But for them to stand behind their warranty they have to ensure that every part meets specifications, quality and appearance.
    Therefore they have to replace parts, including the visible ones like hands, dials and bezels. This is where a huge proportion of the value of your watch lies.

Even if you send it to an Omega service centre with explicit instructions to do x, y and z, there's no certainty that your instructions will be misplaced or misunderstood, so a watchmaker with the knowledge, skills and equipment is preferable for a watch of this caliber.

(Just made a WIS joke. Get it? ;))

Mark020, Omegafanman, flw and 3 others like this.
  11. Gregory891 May 26, 2019

I’ve sent in a vintage Speedmaster Professional (861, pre landing) to Oméga service in Bienne with these instructions and they fully complied, they in fact suggested not to replace specific parts to maintain its value and authenticity.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 26, 2019

And we have 10 times as many stories that show it not happening. Or damage occurred due to not knowing how to remove hands so they can be replaced etc. yes some people have been lucky, but Omega Service is not a restoration/ preservation shop.

Edited May 26, 2019
  13. JwRosenthal May 26, 2019

That’s refreshing news. Maybe the serviced department got hammered by the archives folks. Or maybe they are finally realizing how much money they are losing by not listening to their customers.

MMariotti likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal May 26, 2019

I’ve heard the same issue with Audio Research (stereo equip for those who aren’t into it). I have a vintage SP3 preamp that works flawlessly, and is all original including the power supply-which despite working perfectly is a ticking time bomb (45 year old capacitors).
    ARC is very explicit that they will not “partially” service any of their equipment, they will completely gut it and bring it to current factory spec. It’s awesome that they will continue to support their heritage products, but bringing it to current factory spec kills not only the collector value, but also changes the sonic character-so that a solid not for anyone who owns them.

15. seekingseaquest May 26, 2019

Would you be open to sharing before and after photos? If so, perhaps start a new thread on the topic?

felsby and Als 27 like this.
  16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 26, 2019

That's a very good idea. I know first-hand that's the exception rather than the rule.

17. ajn3323 May 26, 2019

Great story and you got it back in time!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2019

There are quite a few stories like this out there, although I admit them recommending that parts aren't replaced to maintain authenticity is something I haven't heard before. If that is in writing, can you share exactly what they recommended?

The thing people must realize with these stories is that although they may be completely true, people tend to draw the wrong conclusions from them.

If I send in a watch that has a vintage dial and hands that are in perfectly good condition (no flaking on the dial finish, no lume that might fall off, etc.), and the watch comes back with the dial and hands intact, that's exactly what I would expect to happen. Yet when people send a watch in with the same condition hands and dial, and send a letter along with it asking the service center not to change those parts and they don't get changed, suddenly people say "Bienne will not replace these parts if you just ask them not to!"

This is not the case.

The reality is those parts would not be changed even if you didn't send a letter - they change parts only if they determine they need changing. And if they need changing in Omega's eyes, there's no letter that is going to prevent them from either doing what they deem is required, or refusing the service and sending the watch back unserviced.

They will not risk putting parts on the watch that might lead to a warranty claim, and they will not take steps to mitigate the risk by stabilizing the lume or things like that - the only options they have are use the existing parts if they are good, or swap them for modern replacements if they are not acceptable.

So for those who may read the post by our new member Gregory891, his experience may be completely true, but that doesn't mean Omega will bow to your wishes.

Cheers, Al

felsby, Als 27, JwRosenthal and 4 others like this.
  19. MMariotti May 26, 2019

What a sensational story! Enjoy your watch man.