Forums Latest Members
  1. dvancleve May 15, 2018

Howdy folks, was just approved to post here! I just got this Seamaster from my dad the day before yesterday. He said I could have it now, or wait until he died. Obviously, I said “I’ll take it!”

The story, as I know it, is that it was a HS graduation gift in 1961. It was purchased in Pennsylvania from a store (?) called ESDA that was associated with the Seventh Day Adventist church. I know this is not the original band. My dad doesn’t think the original strap was leather, but he didn’t seem to remember any details about it. This Speidel band has been on it for as long as I can remember (I’m 49), but it’s too tight for me. To the best of my knowledge, this watch is completely unmolested. My dad said he had it serviced before he stashed away, potentially quite a few years ago. It looks to me like the back is on upside down. There’s a slightly flattened spot that seems like it should go next to the crown, but is opposite it now. I can just make it out “Seamaster” at what seems like the top and I think I see “100M” at the bottom but I’m not sure.

This one is a keeper for me. I gather the model number etc. are on the movement and/or the inside of the back. I would like to have the back on right side up, so I’ll probably take it to a watc repair guy and have that flipped if nothing else. What kind of strap/band is appropriate for this? Is it a 1961 model, or would better pictures be required to figure that out? Also, why did omega call an ordinary watch Seamaster?

Thanks, Doug

F2C4199E-B388-4FDF-AB52-09D6F59D141D.jpeg 0F2C916C-495A-4595-B2F9-632082DF02F3.jpeg

Edited May 15, 2018
    Starman71 and SuperHero like this.
  2. Dan S May 15, 2018

It's fantastic to have this heirloom passed down within the family.

Generally people don't worry too much about the orientation of the case-back, but if it has been sitting for a long time, the lubricants have all dried up, so you should have it serviced before using it to avoid damaging the movement.

dvancleve likes this.
  3. dvancleve May 15, 2018

Thanks Dan. I don’t think it’s been a decade or anything since it was serviced, but I bet it’s been five years... It seems to be running fine. I have a very detail oriented job, and to me it’s crazy talk that someone would think it’s OK to put the back on upside down

4. MikeMan2727 May 15, 2018

Are we sure the dial hasn't been refinished at some point in the past? It's a bit odd that the black hour dashes are not aligned with the gold markers:

Right side:
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 9.19.31 PM.png

Left side:
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 9.19.37 PM.png

dvancleve likes this.
  5. Buck2466 May 15, 2018

Definitely a redial, but it is an heirloom!

ConElPueblo, dvancleve and Dan S like this.
  6. Dan S May 15, 2018

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't going to go there, actually.

dvancleve likes this.
  7. BenBagbag May 15, 2018

Caseback orientation can matter depending on snap-back cases. If it isn't lined up properly it will clamp on the stem, grinding it, and making it hard to wind.

dvancleve likes this.
  8. MikeMan2727 May 15, 2018

Case might be 18k though, which is uncommon for these.

dvancleve likes this.
  9. Dan S May 15, 2018

True, I wasn't thinking about the type of case-back with a clearance slot for the stem.

dvancleve likes this.
  10. dvancleve May 15, 2018

I will have to ask my dad what has been done to it over the years, and I bet he won’t really know. Bummer that it isn’t that original after all. He and I are a lot different, I would never have anything done that wasn’t necessary for good function. Oh well, the price was right and the value (or lack thereof) is irrelevant. So it is probable that the back is upside down and I should get it sorted ASAP? Do any of you know what it says on the bottom? Not sure if it is worn or my vision/prescription is just not good enough... Also, the case is chrome or SS, definitely not any form of gold.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 15, 2018

WATERPROOF

Which was allowed at the time, now the same watch would have to be termed "Water Resistant", and unless your watch has been recently serviced and had the correct seals fitted and tested, it will probably not even be water resistant, so be cautious around water (hand washing etc).

dvancleve likes this.
  12. Dan S May 15, 2018

No, we were talking theoretically about case-back orientation. I'm sure yours is fine.

dvancleve likes this.
  13. dvancleve May 15, 2018

Is this something that could be “fixed”? Would it be dumb and/or expensive? Were the original indices placed poorly on a new or redone dial, or are they not original and just poorly placed? I gather of the images you cropped are to show that they line up correctly on the left side but not on the right?

Thanks, Doug

Edited May 19, 2018
  14. Dan S May 15, 2018

You could probably improve things marginally by re-aligning the applied markers, but it won't change the fact that the dial has been refinished. The dial was re-painted, and there are various imperfections, including with the font and lettering. But I suspect that the issues are really only noticeable under high magnification, so maybe this is just something to accept as part of the watch you received from your father. Incidentally, I know how you feel, because I inherited an IWC from my father that I later discovered was re-dialed. I was disappointed at first, but now I just accept that it was his watch, for better or worse.

dvancleve likes this.
  15. dvancleve May 15, 2018

Thanks Dan. I suppose for me, making the best of a “bad” situation would feel like an improvement if it isn’t too expensive. OTOH, it is what it is and the watch isn’t going anywhere...

So what bands or straps are appropriate? This vintage Speidel has to go, too snug for my taste.

16. Dan S May 15, 2018

This watch will look great on various types of leather strap, it's really a matter of your taste. If you want something authentic, Google "vintage omega seamaster advertising" and go to Google images. You will find some old ads that show the type of leather strap that was originally supplied with similar watches. I'll warn you in advance that the original straps were pretty ordinary.

dvancleve likes this.
  17. dialstatic May 15, 2018

While I can imagine some disappointment, perhaps you can turn it around and re-think it as something really rather nice. For one thing, as you’re keeping this heirloom, the price impact of a redial is irrelevant. But more importantly, it immediately made you think of a key way in which your father is different from you. It’s good for the soul to reflect on such matters. So here you have a beautiful watch that acts as a reminder of (part of) who your father is instead of merely what he wore.

Starman71 and dvancleve like this.
  18. dvancleve May 19, 2018

Are there any affordable metal bracelets that look appropriate for this vintage Seamaster? Haven’t tried one recently, but I don’t think I’m a leather strap guy. I live in AZ and it’s hot and sweaty here for a good chunk of the year.

So the dial should also say “Swiss Made” at the very bottom, no? Is it feasible (or crazy expensive and dumb) to get the dial redone correctly or to get a proper one?

Thanks again, Doug

19. Dan S May 19, 2018

Yes, you can have the dial refinished again and I'm sure there are threads that discuss this and perhaps make recommendations. I don't have personal experience with it.

"Beads of Rice" (aka BoR) bracelets are popular and would look good on this watch. Authentic Omega BoR bracelets are expensive, and it can be tricky to find curved end-links that are a good fit for a particular watch, but you can get a generic (vintage or modern) BoR bracelet with straight ends, and that would look ok. Milanese mesh bracelets are also popular for vintage watches, and modern versions are very inexpensive.

connieseamaster and dvancleve like this.
  20. Bazza86 May 21, 2018

Hi All,
    Seamaster-face.jpg Seamaster-back.jpg Seamaster-clasp.jpg
    About 20 years ago I inherited this Seamaster from my uncle - I'll admit to neglecting it by leaving it hidden in my drawer and about 10+ years it stopped.
    Going to get it overhauled now - what I know about Omega watches you could fit on the back of a postage stamp. Any ideas on this watch, age etc? - Thanks, Bazza

Etp095 likes this.