Forums Latest Members
  1. Zawaia Apr 10, 2015

Hello there!

My name is João Nunes and I'm from Portugal.

I just got my first Omega and I don't know what model is, I think it's from the 50's.

It was from my grandfather I want to restore it.

Can someone help me?

IMG_3844.JPG
    RLC likes this.
  2. PatrickJ Apr 10, 2015

Leave it alone, never ever restore a dial on a vintage or polish the case. Especially the dial, the watch can lose its identity. It loses its collectable value, not that you would want to sell it. It needs a mechanical service though. Did your grandfather buy it new? Any idea when?

3. Zawaia Apr 10, 2015

The glass is in really bad shape but It's working good.

He bought it new in the 50's or 60's, he past away 12 years ago and today my grandmother gave it to me.

Would like to restore the glass and the leather so I could use it.

IMG_3846.JPG
    RLC likes this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 10, 2015

Love to see Omegas featuring Arabic numerals. Thanks for posting your new vintage Omega!

5. PatrickJ Apr 10, 2015

No worries on changing the crystal that is ok, just ment the dial itself must never be restored. Always check with a watchmaker first as changing the glass is normally ok but depending on the state of the dial if exposured to air at it may effect it.

Good watchmakers here on the forum @stefan and Al Archer.

6. PatrickJ Apr 10, 2015

That glass is bad take advice from them two guys

7. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

As others stated, leave the dial and case. Looks good! Acrylic crystals can be buffed/polished even. How's it running? What size is it?

8. Zawaia Apr 11, 2015

Yes I only want to change the glass and leather.

I think the glass is broken because de number are a little bit rusty.

I think is a 34mm and it's running good.

9. Zawaia Apr 11, 2015

Can someone tell me where can I confirm what model is?

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 11, 2015

There is a number in the case back that can tell you. The strap your grandfather put on is likely not original, but if you want to keep that same style, Hirsh has just released their 2015 collection, and those "rally" straps were a part of it.

It's ok to change the crystal, in fact, you likely should just to get whatever water resistance was specified when the watch was new. I agree with leaving the dial alone; slightly disagree about polishing the case. A very good watchmaker can refinish the case as new... while a crap watchmaker just buffs it until it's shiny. There is a difference, and worth asking the watchmaker to show you an example.

Approach this as "archival restoration" versus "restoration as new" and I think you will be happy.

Tom

Zawaia and PatrickJ like this.
  11. Zawaia Apr 11, 2015

VetPsychWars likes this.
  12. RLC Apr 11, 2015

Subúrbio tesouro, treat it gently and enjoy. It's great to have the Family history.

Nós amamos o Fado....Mariza

Bob

Edited Apr 11, 2015
    Zawaia likes this.