Forums Latest Members

Just got my first Omega! Questions about service and cleaning

1. IAm_KY Feb 3, 2017

Hello everyone! New member here from Toronto. My interest for watches started at the end of last year when I decided the Apple Watch was no longer my thing. I started with a Seiko Presage 60th Anniversary SSA309J1 and then picked up the Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial in December! The AT is a beautiful timepiece and I can't stop looking at it :) Since I am new to watches, I have two questions.

Is there any special cloth I should use to clean the watch and sapphire crystal? I know the anti-reflection coating could scratch and my friend's Rolex Milgauss has a few scratches on the coating so I want to make sure I clean it properly to avoid that. So far, the coating seems quite good since I've scratched the sapphire crystal on a few occasions and no damage is visible.

Also, I know Omega recommends taking your watch in for service every 4-5 years. I have friends that never take their watches in for service and have not had issues or lose accuracy. What is common practice for most people? I wear the watch about 3 days a week so it's not constantly in use. How often should I service the 8500 movement to ensure optimal condition? I know there are a few very experienced watchmakers and collectors here and would love your feedback. Thanks!

IMG_1230.JPG

2. Pun Feb 3, 2017

Congratulations for joining the forum and having a good quality watch.
    You can clean it with any soft damp cloth IMHO. This watch is considered a tool watch therefore doesn't need any special care. There are people who like to baby their watches but I don't agree with that approach. Your watch will last few generations, to expect the least, with only reasonable care and timely service. The service interval for this movement is ideally 5-7 years if you use it regularly or daily. It's a great watch and wear it in good health.

IAm_KY, jedical and Larry S like this.
  3. jedical Feb 4, 2017

I had to take my Seamaster 300m for service once (I've owned it since 2010). I took it in because there was something wrong with the manual winding. I was told by the OB associate that I should not play golf in my SM 300m because it is not designed to take the sudden acceleration of the downswing. I thought this kinda odd since they had a photo of Rory hanging right behind the associate. hahaha.

But basically I don't take any of my watches for their "recommended" services...

IAm_KY likes this.
  4. Canuck Feb 4, 2017

You took the watch in for service because you sensed a problem with the manual winding. Did you leave it for service, or did you take it with you after you talked to the associate? Have you had a report from a technician?Certainly, wearing the watch while you played golf would not have caused a problem with the manual winding. OR the automatic winding, for that matter. Was the watch new when you acquired it in 2010? If it wasn't new when you acquired it, what do you know about the service history? How often had you worn it while playing golf? Was an irregularity in the manual winding the only symptom that there might be something wrong? Can you describe the symptom that tells you something is wrong with the manual winding? If the watch has had no service in the 7 years you've owned it, and since you sense a problem, it might be a good idea to talk to an actual professional watch repair technician about it.