Forums Latest Members

Just got dodgy watch in. Not sure what to do with it

1. DManzaluni Apr 24, 2019

I just got in this gigantic and curiously attractive watch, marked Justa. Meaning I suppose unknown. It has a beautiful case and an ok dial, needing hands

20190424_120100.jpg

Unfortunately, closer inspection shows a 15 rubis, never a good sign. The movement has enough jewels but is as undistinguished as those 15 rubis movements often are. It seems to identify as an Arogno 26x series?
    20190424_115816.jpg

There is something extremely fishy going on with the balance bridge and I am wondering if anyone has seen the symptom before and knows what causes it please? The bridge seems to be sunken??

20190424_115852.jpg 20190424_115512.jpg

Needless to say the staff shows as broken but does anyone have any idea how the bridge can have sunk like this or if it can be repaired?

One other point that may be relevant. The stem doesn't seem to control the hands or the winding. And the crown doesn't actually fit the stem. Meaning either the watch needs a new stem and crown at reasonable expense.(or I just need to fiddle with it a bit more) Or this watch is a totally cobbled together piece of not worth discussing junk?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2019

I believe that model is called "Nother watch"...

Anyway, the sunken balance cock is a bit unusual, but not completely unheard of. So this could be perfectly normal, or it could be machined down, or it could be from a completely different watch...

3. DManzaluni Apr 24, 2019

I had never seen it, even on a pin pallet, much less a watch with (at least some) jewels.

I suppose it is possible that the watch came from some market where these curious movements are common. Possibly I shouldn't be too surprised if someone did that Bridge somewhere.

Maybe I should spring ten bucks for a balance and then see if I can get hands somewhere.

4. boraxman Apr 28, 2019

Cool - So what are you gonna do with it?...Guessing a restoration would be some $$$

89-0 likes this.
  5. 89-0 Apr 28, 2019

That'sa justa what I wasa thinkinga! You sure you want to throw money at this baby?

6. DManzaluni Apr 28, 2019

You guys are absolutely right. A staff is $10 at Ofrei, stem is similar, hands are for a watchmaker to fit: I will photo it and put it on ebay immediately until someone sees it.
    The case is huge at 39mm and beautiful. Shark edge, contrasting beaded bezel, great condition. Someone must have a movement ready to go into it