Forums Latest Members

Just given vintage Omega, help identifying would be appreciated

1. markluk Jun 22, 2014

Was given this today, it belonged to my great grand father.

Needs a good clean up but has been running all day after a wind. Will replace non-original strap and have it as an occasional wearer, although is small at 33mm

Any ideas on model, possibly year from the pics attached?

Thank you in advance!

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG
  2. John R Smith Jun 22, 2014

If you are based in the UK . . . then this looks like a 9 karat Dennison cased Omega 30mm calibre (266, 267) from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

3. markluk Jun 22, 2014

Yes, UK based! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll need to get the back off to find out exact model reference/year

Also the glass/crystal is cracked, am guessing it would be uneconomical/hard to replace?

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

The crystal is a really cheap thing to replace. A generic one will cost about £2.50 plus labour (about 5 minutes to remove the old one, measure it and fit a new one) The advantage of old watches is that they, mostly, have acrylic crystals.

5. John R Smith Jun 22, 2014

The crystal should be an easy fix for any independent watchmaker - would be around £10 for a generic crystal plus fitting. Yes, you need to have the back removed and then photograph the movement and all the numbers inside the caseback. Then post the pictures here.

P.S. Those old Spiedel bracelets are horrible and chew the lugs up. Would be good to get that changed for a leather strap.

6. markluk Jun 22, 2014

Great, sounds very reasonable.

I'll post up some pics of the movement/numbers in case back once I have the back off (tools ordered!)

7. markluk Jun 26, 2014

By way of an update I've now put this on a nice quality brown leather strap - looks great!

Still waiting for the tool to take the back off to arrive, will then post up pics of case back and movement.

Re. the new crystal are there any recommendations for somewhere that could do this in London? What am I looking at for installation cost inc. labour? Ive noticed it steams up a bit in hot weather so need to get this sorted urgently photo.JPG

John R Smith likes this.