Forums Latest Members
  1. sofi1990 Apr 11, 2015

Thanks for this forum. I found it when I was looking to see what the status was of a Omega Seamaster 300 That I bought in either Japan or Hong Kong when I was a fresh Ensign in the US Navy on my first Western Pacfic cruise in the early 60's. I wore the watch for several years then I forgot about it and thought I had lost it, but it showed up a couple of days ago in a box that I hadn't seen for several years. It looks to be in fairly good condition with wear. No watch band, but I know it had a stainless steel one originally. It doesn't run now, and I plan on taking it to a watch repair shop here in San Diego, that appears to be very reputable, for a check up and determine what the problem is. I haven't had it opened and don't know how to do that. I don't recall that it had ever been serviced. Any suggestions? I think it is probably a 165.024 but am not sure. And the strap was 1039. Is there a replacement ban that will fit? Don't know if I should try to open it myself as I don't know how or if I need a special tool.

semper_shells and Etp095 like this.
  2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Apr 11, 2015

Very cool to hear about an original owner Seamaster 300! Please post some photos.

3. Eric_navi Apr 11, 2015

+1 on the photos

4. Eric_navi Apr 11, 2015

Depending on how stuck it is you should be able to open it with a traction ball. Then you'll be able to get the reference # off the caseback. If it's stuck really tight like some old watches are, you're better off having a watchmaker open it. But someone here should be able to tell you which reference it is once you post the pictures

Edited Apr 12, 2015
  5. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

Pics!

6. the future Apr 12, 2015

In answer to the bracelet question, you'll want to look for a 1171 with 633 end links. Please post pictures!

7. Dash1 Apr 12, 2015

I wouldn't attempt to open it, unless you have a lot of experience. You'll most likely damage it unless you use a ball but I doubt one would open a back that hasn't been un done in years as the seal turns to a black glue.
    1039 bracelets are sold regularly in eBay for a price, a 1171/633 will also fit, you could use a shark mesh steel bracelet too or a NATO fabric band, but if you use the nato use it in conjunction with a case back sticker protector as these leave a mark.
    Might be worth getting a recommendation for a service agent near you from the forum.
    Great to hear from an original owner.

Eric_navi likes this.
  8. sofi1990 Apr 12, 2015

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I'm having trouble getting any good pictures with good quality, but here is on of the face. Does anyone know or recommend a watch repair person in San Diego? I know of one that was recommended that is in Nieman Marcus in Fashion Valley Mall. But is on a holiday now. Anxious to see what the condition is inside the case.
    CIMG4878.JPG

Sanmilc, KstateSkier, lando and 13 others like this.
  9. marturx Apr 12, 2015

Awesome SM 300! :thumbsup:

One of the nicest I've seen

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2015

Judging by the dial I think you can be confident the movement is in good shape, that's a beautiful watch and has the less common candlestick hands. Great piece. Definitely don't risk opening it as you could mark up the caseback if you use the wrong tools.

PatrickJ likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2015

The nicest to wear Omega bracelet that fits it is the vintage Omega mesh, there's a 1171 bracelet too that's a link style and its also very comfortable but the mesh both looks good and feels great. There are many 1039 bracelets for sale all the time so if you wanted to you could track one down but to wear it I wouldn't bother, they're not as strong as the later bracelets.

PatrickJ likes this.
  12. calalum Apr 12, 2015

I would find a watchmaker that specializes in vintage watches, and Omegas in particular. Ask around to find someone local, or if that doesn't pan out let me know and I can recommend one here inn LA.

Northernman likes this.
  13. Civic4982 Apr 12, 2015

Those hands!!!!!!!! Love it.

Hey I'm in SoCal as well. North of you though in OC.

I have a personal watchmaker I use locally who does side work.

For getting the caseback off mine (since my watchmaker was hard to get a hold of) I went to the boutique and they used the larger caseback opener with that steering wheel to get the torque needed as my case ball didn't get enough grip

They were great and really nice over at the South Coast mall boutique.

Ask for Edward the technician.

14. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 12, 2015

No suggestions on a watchmaker but, oh, that is lovely
    Thanks for sharing :)

15. sofi1990 Dec 25, 2015

Finally had my seamaster 300 serviced and it now is ready to wear, but I need a bracelet and am thinking that I would like a metal link similar to the original. But I see that those, the 1171-633 are super expensive. Any suggestions? I have the serial number and have ordered an abstract from the archives from Omega to confirm all the background on the watch. I've noticed other watches from that time frame to have the second hand point in orange. Anyone know the story behind that? There is one similar to mine with a serial number only about 150 different. It has an orange tip. That watch was listed on vintage-watches-collection.com. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but having difficulty taking pictures. Still working on that.

16. sofi1990 Dec 25, 2015

17. the future Dec 25, 2015

You should be able to find a used 1171 for about $200 usd. I don't know of any bracelets that are cheaper, look as good on the watch, and are nice to wear.

I don't believe that any Seamaster 300s left the factory with orange tipped second hands. I'm pretty sure that is something that would have been painted on later.

sofi1990 likes this.
  18. watchlovr Dec 26, 2015

Lovely piece and a pretty rare variant with those hands.
    It was fashionable to change these to "sword" hands until fairly recently.
    Case, hands, dial and bezel all look in great shape.
    Just don't go diving with it, it is worth a few $$ and is going up in price every day!

sofi1990 likes this.
  19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 26, 2015

slap on a black nato for the time being and call it a day... this watch will shine on all types of straps

sofi1990 and marturx like this.
  20. marturx Dec 27, 2015

What have happened, is that the second hand on yours lost the tritium (once illuminous) filling in the tip. A watchmaker used to vintage watches can pretty easily replace that lost fill, with a mass that matches the markers on the dial.

Whatever you do, NEVER have the case polished. If you do, you will see a substantial drop in value of that fine vintage diver that you now have!

sofi1990 likes this.