Forums Latest Members

Just Found Omega Seamaster 1000m Pro - Where To Send For Service?

1. NationsAttic May 4, 2015

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for all your expertise and experience!

I was lucky enough to just find what I believe is an untouched original Omega Seamaster 1000m Professional. At first I didn't realize the unique qualities of this model until finding this wonderful forum.

My question is, where is the best place to send this watch for servicing? It sounds like keeping these types of watches original is the best bet? I really would like to enjoy and wear the watch on occasion but I don't want to ruin original qualities, if it appears to be original to everyone from the photos attached.

My company deals in vintage diving helmets and on occasion a dive watch will accompany a helmet, which how I found this one stored away since being given to the diver as a gift in the 1970's

Once again, thank you everyone for any help!

Don

seamaster-grand-1.jpg seamaster-grand-2.jpg seamaster-grand-3.jpg
  2. peatnick May 4, 2015

Nice find, if you are on the west coast contact Nesbits in Seattle, they are members here and I understand from others they can handle "sympathetic" service of a vintage diver like yours

3. NationsAttic May 4, 2015

I'm smack in the middle of the US, Kansas so I'm really not close to anything, haha. I will look Nesbits up tomorrow, thank you!

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 4, 2015

Also do a search on this form, there is a really good thread on the Grand.

In that thread there are a few members that have this watch and can help with service options.

5. TheCaptainOfTech May 4, 2015

Nesbit's is very good I just got back my seamster 300 from them. Very kind people and they update you with the service (whats going on etc.) You can also ship your watch to them & have it serviced and shipped back. Overall I have nothing bad to say about them

6. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 5, 2015

Nice catch! Revise mechanically, but do not touch it esthetically if possible. Do NOT change the dial.

7. NationsAttic May 5, 2015

Got it, it will stress that it's mechanically fixed up only. Would polishing the crystal hurt the value?

8. peatnick May 5, 2015

Polishing or replacing with an OEM crystal will not hurt value

9. NationsAttic May 5, 2015

Just contacted Nesbits, they seem like great people! Will update everyone on the results and post some photos!

10. michaelmc May 5, 2015

Nice find, should come back very wearable. m

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 5, 2015

Must be hundreds of deep sea diving items in Kansas!

:D

Good luck with the restoration. All it needs is a good movement service, ever so light puff of air on the dial and hands, a new crystal, case ultrasonic cleaned, new seals and you'l have a stunner.

Pics must follow!

12. NationsAttic May 5, 2015

Thank you - I will make sure its given the proper internal service and every so slight work on the outside. I can't wait to get it back and post some photos. This dive watch will certainly stand out here in Kansas!

13. sulaco May 11, 2015

Very nice specimen, hope Nesbits can handle a one Piece case

14. NationsAttic May 12, 2015

Hopefully, I will post updates as the process unfolds.

15. NationsAttic May 13, 2015

Looks like they are strongly recommending that the dial, crystal and hands be replaced with new duplicates. They sent me a photo of the dial and it does look rough. In this condition would it still be best to keep it as is or simply keep the dial and hands with the watch and have replacements put on now? omega-dial.jpg

16. peatnick May 13, 2015

Rust never sleeps, that's a tough choice, even if you have them clean the dial now it may continue.

You are correct the original dial should be retained if a replacement is installed.

The hands might be salvageable and could retain a bit of character for you

As mentioned earlier crystal can be replaced with OEM without impacting value

Good luck, let us know what you decide and post pics when you get it back !

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2015

Eeeew! That dial's crusty.

If it was me, change the hands/dial/crystal for service replacements and keep the original parts safely stored.

That way, if you ever decide to sell, the new owner has the option and you have a nice watch to gaze upon.

Nesbitts may not be keen on warranting work when re-using such flaky parts, I don't blame them.

Cheers

Jim

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2015

Dial is dead not worth even thinking about anymore, hands worth selling to some one that needs hands (spread the karma) do what Repairer recommends and enjoy the new clean look.

19. NationsAttic May 14, 2015

Thank you for the advice - I will be taking it and having them put on a new dial and hands but keep the originals. Will post photos when it comes back. Thank you again everyone for the help!

20. NationsAttic Jul 10, 2015

Got the watch back, it sure looks a lot better now! They did send back all the original parts they replaced, such as the dial, hands, etc. This watch sure is a heavy one but can't wait to wear it. Is there is a unique type of box Omega originally sold these watches in?

seamaster-grand-1b.jpg seamaster-grand-2b.jpg seamaster-grand-3b.jpg
    Dogmann, pascs, rogart and 1 other person like this.