Forums Latest Members
  1. Kpasco Dec 23, 2014

Hello,

I recently found an old Omega Constellation that my Grandfather owned. I've attached some pictures (they're rather poorly shot, sorry about that) and was wondering if someone could identify it for me. It appears to be gold plated and says "Omega, Automatic, Chronometer, Officially Certified, and Constellation with a Star. On the case back there is a picture of an observatory and the number 518 on the strap (where it is attached to the case back). It also says "Swiss Made" on the bottom of the dial with what appear to be two small "T"s bookending the phrase. It's probably not worth much but the sentimental value is what's far more important.

Could someone help me identify the reference/calibre? I haven't been able to open the back, which would probably make it much easier...

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0921.jpg IMG_0922.jpg
  2. Sherbie Dec 23, 2014

It looks like a nice example of what we call a C cased constellation from something like 1966 to early 70s.

The gold plate is still quite thick - just turn the watch over and i think i can see a thick layer surrounding the stainless steel undercase. This is good, as a lot of these gp layers wear away.

I,d remove the bracelet and put a really nice brown or black leather strap on it

And yes, take this to a decent watchmaker, ask him nicely to remove the case back, take photos of the movement and the inside case back, and note down all the numbers ( calibre number, watch reference number ( model number) and its unique serial number ( whereby we can date teh watch more precisely).

I think this is a 168.017 with a calibre 561 movement, but someone with more expertise will chime in soon enough

Nice piece, please get it serviced - but no case polish by the way - by a good watchmaker, and it will service you another 50 years, cheers, paul

Kpasco likes this.
  3. Sherbie Dec 23, 2014

Forgot to add. The best worldwide depository of all things Omega Constellations is a fantastic site by Desmond ( who is on this forum)

If you search "The C-Shape Constellation: Omega’s Child of the Sixties ", you will find his article on your watch style, plus his fantastic web site

Happy reading

Kpasco likes this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 23, 2014

5. ConElPueblo Dec 23, 2014

That looks great, no doubt it'll turn out looking even better after a bit of TLC :)

Kpasco likes this.
  6. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 23, 2014

Grandpa is smiling:)

Kpasco likes this.
  7. Kpasco Dec 23, 2014

Thank you for all your advice, that's really helpful to know. I appreciate you taking a bit of time to help me out! Hopefully someone will confirm the reference, but you're right about going to a watchmaker, I'll go right when I get the chance!

8. Mothra Dec 23, 2014

Tricky to tell from the photos, but I think a good clean and the crystal and the bracelet would be good to go. I'd wear this proudly. Get it serviced!

Kpasco likes this.
  9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 24, 2014

^^+1. Very nice watch on an (imho) very nice bracelet.

Kpasco likes this.