Forums Latest Members

Just fished a beat-up Flightmaster 145.026 (911) out of the Bay - advice on rehab?

1. cvalue13 Aug 2, 2013

First off, I love flightmasters, and I especially love ones with browned complication dials -- but have never owned one. So, when this one - all beat up - was floating out there and the only thing between me and it was money, I went for it, knowing it would be a project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-VINTAG...FeM4BPiEncb%2F4jQPAH8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Clearly the crystal is shot, and I don't believe it has the original bracelet (we'll see when it arrives). A cleaning and service is definitely in order.

Now I turn to y'all for any advice on what to do (or not do), and who to (or not to) do it.

2. cvalue13 Aug 2, 2013

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2013

I'd look at sending it up to Al Archer (Archer) he's among the very best with Omega chronographs and should be able to take care of it. I'd consider replacing the hands but keeping the dial. Replace the crystal as well, put it on a NOS Omega vintage style mesh bracelet, and get the case refinished as its likely already bee polished before.

cvalue13 likes this.
  4. cvalue13 Aug 2, 2013

All great advice, thank you. I'll wait to determine the case refinishing, though, as I'm unsure how much polishing it's had based on the photos (particularly given the back of the case), and otherwise I'd like to have one that I'm not terribly concerned about banging up here and there. Maybe someday I'll shell out $6K for a pristine case that I wear on "special" sporting occasions (whatever those are).

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2013

This may be one of those rare occasions that it could make sense to use Omega's vintage restoration services. It's all dependent on what needs to be replaced. Al will do a great job, of that I'm sure. The question is which parts need to be replaced and what is the cost of those parts on a piecemeal basis.

Omega's price generally includes parts. For the Flightmaster, they have lots of NOS stuff including case parts and dials. Unlike Rolex, Omega returns all old parts if you want to keep the originals together. You got a good enough deal on the watch to absorb the extra cost of the Omega refurb and still have a piece with a market value greater than your total outlay.

The downside is that Al would probably finish it in a couple of months, where Omega would likely take the better part of a year if you're lucky.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2013

STS will refurb in about 8 weeks. ...so send it to me & I'll take it down there :D

cvalue13 and Spacefruit like this.
  7. cvalue13 Aug 7, 2013

The Flightmaster arrived today. Pretty happy with it, and now begins the project of getting it fully put together.

First some pictures, and then some thoughts.

First, you have to have some sizable wrists for this chunk of stainless:

Flightmaster Wrist.JPG

Second, as was known, the crystal is toast (I've already ordered a replacement), but there is clearly a gasket associated with the crystal also needing replacement (and finding):

Flightmaster Face.jpg

Even through the haze of the crystal, though, the dial seems to be in pretty good condition. The winder feels right. Pulled out, the main minute and hour hands all float about seemingly properly. Same with the blue second hour winder and hand. The Pushpieces work perfectly, with the center second hand and minute and hour totalisers all starting, stopping, and snapping to the 12 position.

The trouble comes into China with the winder for the movable bezel: the winder does not want to move, and so nor does the bezel, which as you can see is stuck just off of the 12 position. Perhaps the crystal's gasket junk has seized up the bezel? Either way, this will need some form of fixing.

Flightmaster Face Zoom.jpg

The main winder, crown and pushpieces themselves all appear fairly well sorted out, though lacking their color markings. Apologies for the poor depth of field in the shot below, but the mis-focus does however show that the case is unpolished and seems to have fared better than the crystal, in terms of scuffing. (In the picture below, notice also the back side of the bracelet clasp, which I'll come back to, below.)

Flightmaster Pushpiece Side.jpg

The remaining second-hour and bezel winders themselves also seem well sorted, though oddly only the second-hour winder has retained its color markings.

Flightmaster Winder Side.jpg

As for the bracelet, it appears to be entirely a cheap "100% Stainless Steel - Hong Kong" replacement, luggs marked "155." I'd like to get a proper vintage replacement, and would love any advice on the proper bracelet for this particular model.

Also, in the picture below, you'll note that the back case gasket is also toast, and will need to be replaced. Luckily, this thing doesn't appear to have been off of the watch for a very long time, as the movement pictures below may attest.

Flightmaster Bracelet.jpg

The back is in similar shape to the rest of the case, save for the tool marks highlighted below between the 6 and 9 positions. The engraving itself is pretty well together.

Flightmaster Case Back.jpg

Finally, although not the clearest of pictures, the movement -- to my relatively untrained eye -- looks like a very clean 911 numbered 33315206

Flightmaster Movement.jpg

So then, to my untrained eye a crystal (NOS ordered), a few gaskets (need to identify), a bracelet (need to identify), and a cleaning/service of the movement seem no-brainers, while the stuck bezel and bezel winder are a looming question-mark. From there, perhaps an extremely respectful cleaning and buff of the case?

I've been told above that ( @Archer) may be a good man for the job, and I'd certainly be happy to discuss with him. If anyone knows of alternatives nearer to Houston, I'd love to know.

Any other observations/nits/concerns?

Cordially,
    Coleson

cozzani1978 likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 7, 2013

That is actually a correct bracelet, only the hinge has been replaced.

cvalue13 likes this.
  9. cvalue13 Aug 7, 2013

I had wondered/hoped so!

10. cvalue13 Aug 7, 2013

(Any advice on why it rotated all of my pictures onto their side?)

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 8, 2013

Superb dial

cvalue13 likes this.
  12. marturx Aug 8, 2013

Give that Flightmaster a good cleaning and a new crystal, and you´ll see it´ll make a big difference! Same for the bracelet which is the original one. Try to find a correct hinge/ clasp stamped 1162. I wouldn´t polish the case to begin with. Looks to have sharp edges, so I doubt that it has been polished before. The plane on the back is amazingly crisp.

Wonderful aging in the dial and hands!

Instruct your watchmaker to be very careful when exchanging the crystal. The gasket underneath has blead, and has smeared the inner rotating bezel. If he doesn´t look up, he will ruin the printing on the bezel, when cleaning it from the smeared gasket, which is very sticky. That is also why it won´t move. Those bezel can be hard to find, so if you can use the old one, the better. Will save you a lot of time and money.

Congrats to a good find! :thumbsup:

cvalue13 likes this.
  13. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2013

Is the correct clasp/hinge the 1162-A, or is it instead the 1193-A?

I see either clasp on various flightmasters, but would like to know exactly which one came with a 145.026 ca. 911 - 3331526. I've done some looking around, but have yet to find any considerable focus on the answer.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

I just took a look at the Omega site for repair. They'll charge you 890 francs (~US$1,000) for a full service, which should include the case refurb, gaskets, hands and bracelet work. Possibly a dial replacement, too. Given what needs to be done and the value of the watch post-service, that's not too bad.

The question is whether Al Archer can do a better job for less. He may be able to. You'll need to talk to him.
    gatorcpa

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2013

I'll definitely be contacting Mr. Archer.

Also, does anyone know, in broad strokes, what STS asks for their full servicing?

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

STS charge approx £375 & Vat for vintage service, so £450 in total. It should cover all mechanical parts, crown and pushers & refresh of the case finish. Not sure what else it includes. You can opt to exclude any of the bits, but the price won't drop !

If you don't need the movement serviced they'll quote you parts and labour for the restoration work.

17. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2013

My understanding is that Omega can take up to a year to return a watch in for the full kit; surely, STS, in th the timing respect, is a bit more 'fighter jet' than 'battle ship' in this respect? I've also heard there are some differences regarding the level of vintage-respect either outfit demonstrates with respect to the watch?

I saw your pictures you posted from the STS lobby the other day - their flightmasters were incredible (though I do adore my watch's chocolate sub-dials).

18. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

They are doing a full service on a cal 321 for me and quoted four weeks turnaround time. It depends how much they have on. The longest they have taken with any of mine has been 8 weeks.

Before starting any service they send you the estimate specifying what they will do & do not proceed until you agree. I usually tell them not to do lots of the things they automatically list, like case restoration and crown replacement.