Forums Latest Members

Just bought this WW1 US Navy Chelsea Deck Clock No.2

1. river rat Feb 18, 2018

Just picked this up should get it next week. A WW1 US Navy Chelsea Deck Clock No.2 been wanting one but these they don't sell cheap since there not a lot of them like the ones from WW2 and later. This is the oldest Deck clock in the collection made in 1918. My Grandfather was in the US Navy in WW1 and was on the USS West Virginia and the USS New Mexico both battle ships and the USS Lexington CV-2 the second US carrier made. So this clock was around when he was in the Navy who knows mite of been on one of his ships. Chelsea sells archive letters on there history for 35 bucks will order on next week. It was completely serviced and the most I ever paid for a Chelsea but it a rarer model the hands are different than the newer ones with second bit and the adjustment for fast and slow different also. The movement serial numbers match the ones on the brass case so all original. I will post some more photo's when I get it these are the sellers photos. It's in great shape for being 100 years old. There also issue numbers on the dial the US Naval Observatory after testing it put those on before issuing them to a ship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alam, omegasaso12, Mad Dog and 12 others like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Feb 18, 2018

That's really nice @river rat, congrats on the pickup.

Would be interested to learn where it's been... do you think the archive letter will reveal much? Is there any way to get more information from the Navy?

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 18, 2018

Drawarms and watchcollect like this.
  4. river rat Feb 18, 2018

Are forum members in England are lucky most of the record from the royal observatory are still around but all the post I read on the net the US Naval observatory most likely destroyed them no one was thinking of the history they destroyed. Would be cool if that was wrong.

noelekal and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. SuperHero Feb 18, 2018

That’s beautiful. I am also liking the black military plane clocks often seen on eBay.

6. tyrantlizardrex Feb 18, 2018

I think you're right - was lucky enough to spend Friday afternoon at the Royal Observatory hanging out with Rory and Anna in the workshop... so much cool stuff... and they have an awful lot of records from the Admiralty from the sound of it.

Would be great if the US archives are hidden away somewhere! :)

neilfrancis likes this.
  7. river rat Feb 18, 2018

Why I wanted one from this era WW1 was my Grandfather was in around WW1 and into WW2 he made Chief then became a mustang that's were enlisted become a Officer a few photo's he was in early Naval aviation would not surprise me if he was the crew that took care of aircraft on battleships were they used a catapult to get them in the air and a crane to pick the floatplanes out of the water to get put back aboard ship.
    [​IMG]
    When he was a ACMM (chief) around 1925 in Hawaii
    [​IMG]
    Miami Florida Christmas day 1917
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He got on the ground floor the beginning of Naval aviation Deering Island Florida don't think this is around any more think it got filled in with dirt.
    [​IMG]
    Now this is a cool photo out of granddads album
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The USS New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    Now this was when going across the equator were it was brutal you got beat bad and I thought I got it bad. Look at that cricket bat that had to hurt. And the suitcase no justice no mercy. I am from 3-4 generation who joined the US Navy and the last most likely. I just wanted a Naval clock from my Grandfathers time.

Edited Feb 18, 2018
    Vitezi, Waltesefalcon, nixf6 and 4 others like this.
  8. 77deluxe Feb 18, 2018

Great clock and super photos. Great thread.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 18, 2018

I have lived in Miami most of my life and had never heard of Deering Island until today. Deering is a very important name in Miami history. James Deering was the head of the Deering Harvester Company, which later became known as International Harvester. He built a huge estate a couple of miles southeast of Miami called Viscaya. This is not where I think Deering Island was located.

James Deering's half-brother, Charles, had an even larger estate about 12 miles south of Viscaya. This was well beyond the end of the offshore barrier island we now call Miami Beach. There was direct ocean access and many small islands nearby. The largest of these islands, now called Chicken Key, looks like a good candidate for the mysterious "Deering Island."

I was able to find another picture of Deering Island at the San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive. They identify this image as being from the Miami Naval Air Station ca. 1918-19. However, the Miami Naval Air Station had moved by 1918 to a location far to the north of the Deering Estate, to an area called Opa Locka.

I think your Grandfather's pictures were taken at Dinner Key Marina. That area has been host to aviation activity since the invention of the seaplane in 1912. After WWI, Dinner Key was decommissioned and became Miami's first general aviation airport. Today, the Miami City Hall is on the original site, as well as marinas, parks, several restaurants and a church school.

You had posted an inquiry on a U.S. Militaria Forum some time ago with the same question. The moderator there answered you with a short story about Dinner Key and the later movement of the bombing activity to Deering Island. This actually fits with what I believe, which is that the naval airport itself was on Dinner Key and the bombing practice was held on what is now Chicken Key on the Deering Estate several miles to the south. The moderator also mentioned that the US Government bought land "west of the Miami Canal and south of the present 36th Street." That land eventually became Miami International Airport in the 1940's.

BTW, I happen to work just across the street from Dinner Key and I can see the original airport and marina from my office window.

Hope this helps a little,
    gatorcpa

Vitezi, CdnWatchDoc, R3D9 and 4 others like this.
  10. river rat Feb 19, 2018

gatorcpa
    Thanks for the info here is another site on the net I found we only had one NAS Navy base at the start of WW1 so Deering Island was one of the many the Navy quickly made to get training for the Navy to fly.
    https://www.bluejacket.com/usn-usmc_avi_ww1_air_fields.html
    Miami, Florida Seaplane training and patrol station began in October 1917. The commissioning date is unknown. A Marine Flying Field was established at Miami on an adjacent tract to the NAS in March 1918.
    This is all they have for the Miami area
    http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/memories_aviation_opalocka
    The airport property was bought by Glenn and Lena Curtiss in 1918 and the US Navy did buy Curtiss aircraft.

CdnWatchDoc and Larry S like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 19, 2018

Threads like this are why logging into OF is still rewarding. Great story and pics and that clock is beautiful.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. river rat Feb 19, 2018

You were right Dinner Key I guess the Miami city hall right on top of it.
    http://www.airfields-freeman.com/FL/Airfields_FL_Miami_C.htm#dinnerkey

Edited Feb 19, 2018
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2018

Just to clarify, the Curtiss family owned a lot of land all over S. Florida. It is entirely possible that prior to 1918, they owned both tracts of land that eventually became Opa-locka Airport and Miami International.

The place referred to in the US Militaria forum is now Miami International Airport, where you land today when you fly into Miami. The Curtiss family also developed the city of Miami Springs, just across NW 36th Street from the airport. The main street in that city is called Curtiss Parkway.

The place referred to in both your website and otherwise referred to as Miami Naval Air Station after 1918, is Opa-locka Airport. This is about 10 miles due north of MIA, straight up LeJeune Road (NW 42nd Avenue). Opa-locka was used for military purposes until the 1970’s and today is a general aviation facility, but not really an airport as we think of them today.

Hamilton made a watch named after Glenn Curtiss:

28067CC3-B10D-4378-BA5C-BF233BD04CE4.jpeg

http://www.hamiltonwristwatch.info/Detail - Glenn Curtiss - Yellow.htm

Very expensive then in 1930, and the sky’s the limit if you can find one today, because not many people had $150 in 1930.

Glad to help,
    gatorcpa

river rat likes this.
  14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2018

Hi @river rat

Mike ( seller ) is a good guy . You should like the piece and h is in th Pacific Northwest ! Just a stone throw away.
    Chelsea company has limited records with respect to military clocks. Early clocks like from pre 1900 some clocks order by the ship and sent directly from factory to ship or ship Wright...... But later purchases were "centralized " by like US Naval Observatory or a regional Naval Depo......

Please let us know what you find out !

Good Hunting
    Bill

15. Mr Blond Feb 20, 2018

I really like that, good but if history

16. Waltesefalcon Feb 20, 2018

RR, that is a great clock and amazing collection of photos.

17. CdnWatchDoc Feb 20, 2018

Thanks for the history lesson. This is the type of thread that makes OF such a pleasure!

18. river rat Feb 22, 2018

Here is another ship my Grandfather was on the USS Saratoga CV-3 my Dad use to have a large photo of it hanging in the house when he passed away my Step mom ether kept it or gave it to one of here chicken sons who never served in the military. I got this photo off the net you will see it has a strip on the island that way you could tell the USS Lexington CV-2 and the USS Saratoga CV-3 apart they were sister ships my Dad told me that the other one the USS Langely CV-1 Americas first carrier we have went a long way since. The Saratoga was first ordered as a battle cruiser then later turned into a carrier instead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wished I had that large photo my Dad had also a WW1 Navy recruiting poster who knows were there at now dam it. When they did a atom bomb test on a bunch of Navy ships after WW2 this ship survived the test still afloat they had to use conventional ammo to finish the job to sink it I guess divers can dive and see the shipwreck of it today.

Vitezi and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. river rat Feb 26, 2018

Well it got delivered today mounted it on a wooden plaque and put her on the wall.
    [​IMG]

alam, tyrantlizardrex, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  20. river rat Mar 1, 2018

Here are a few more photo's of my Grandfather Navy Service.
    [​IMG]
    This photo is interesting taken in 1918 same year my clock was manufactured and issued. And on the back of photo was he made chief in less than 5 years what was called a slit chief for making rate that fast never heard of the slang for making rate fast (slit chief) also he is the chief next to the officers think the spot mark on the arm was to ID him in the photo and check out the officers boots.
    [​IMG]
    This one was around 1913 he was in long before WW1.
    [​IMG]
    In the 1920's he is holding my Dad
    [​IMG]
    This was around WW2 he was a mustang were a enlisted becomes a Officer he retired at a LT he was once my Dads and my Dads Brother Div. officer he was tough to work for he once put my Dad in the Brig most likely for mouthing off after coming back to the ship drunk. Maybe if parents were tough like that today we would have less craziness in the USA maybe bring back the draft and teach them discipline like I was taught. Ad this was the good old days when the Military had no high year tenure to boot you out you could stay longer than just 20 years.

Edited Mar 1, 2018
    alam, JimInOz, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.