Forums Latest Members

Just bought my first vintage Omega - Thoughts? And any ideas where to go from here?

1. JFWWYaxley Dec 5, 2015

I'm somewhat new to the whole vintage watch collecting thing, with only a few lesser known vintage watches to my name.

I've just stepped up a notch a bought my first Omega - it's a Seamaster from around 1961 judging by the serial, with ref number 14700 4 SC. Gold capped with a cal 552 in good working order; shame about the non-original strap though, and the dial has been professionally refinished. image.png image.png image.png image.png

Thoughts? And any ideas on where to go from here in terms of collecting?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 5, 2015

I would look for an all original version (strap isn't that big a deal, IMHO). Buy what you like. I started with a 1958 Seamaster but thought I needed to have a Speedmaster and Flightmaster in my collection. After I purchased them, I realized they weren't my thing so I sold the Speedy and will be selling the Flightmaster. I am now focusing on 50's and 60's Seamasters and Constellations, with a couple of odds and ends thrown in for good measure. I can go broke playing in this pool a little more slowly than in the Speedmaster's.

JFWWYaxley likes this.
  3. JFWWYaxley Dec 5, 2015

Thanks for the reply, and I see what you mean about all original. In all fairness I got this Seamaster for a very fair price at auction. As for Speedys the only chronos I really like are Daytonas and Eberhards! I'm much more of a plain-dial person.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

I have a thing for dome dial Connies
    Simple and elegant

Good ones come up frequently

And top notch movements

JFWWYaxley likes this.
  5. PatrickJ Dec 5, 2015

No need to go any place else for quite a while. Try to learn more about the movement in your watch, the dial, case etc.. Generally to buy a vintage watch it is better to fully research the model first then ask questions after and post pics. So many things to avoid like redials, over polishing parts missing in the movement etc. Are the fonts correct on the dial for that year and specific model etc. I purchased two vintage watches after doing what I thought was a lot of research, they were original but the condition was not what I thought was appropriate for a collector. I have sold one on in the process shortly of selling the other. I recently purchased my speedy moonwatch brand new from AD (at least I know it is 100%) I want a vintage omega at some point again but it will not be till I settle on a model I like. Then will do research that will enable me to learn all the pitfalls and variations that can occur in that specific model.

JFWWYaxley and Peemacgee like this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

Pic-, courtesy of Mrs Peemacgee IMG-20151205-WA017.jpg

JFWWYaxley and PatrickJ like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

Great advice from Patrick
    Find something you like and study it
    Then most importantly post targets here
    We all started as newbies and have benefited from the very generous advice from the seasoned collectors on this forum

JFWWYaxley and PatrickJ like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 5, 2015

"And any ideas where to go from here?"

Well, it depends.... there are several routes to go from here.

One the many reasons I am attracted to Omega is the wide range of offerings of really cool watches that I happen to like. Of course this forum does quite nice in an enabling kinda of way to support whichever direction you might find yourself heading.

Welcome to the message board.

upload_2015-12-5_11-53-52.png
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 5, 2015

And @gatorcpa is one of the worst enablers here. Of course, it could be that I'm a weak, weak man.

10. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 5, 2015

This forum is full of people that write things on bathroom walls like "For a really good timepiece call @memberX".

abrod520 and efauser like this.