Forums Latest Members
  1. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 16, 2014

Chaps

Been looking for a nice dress watch to wear with a suit for the more classic 50's look (even I will admit that most of my 70's Omega don't really scream understated)

Anyway, this popped up tonight so I snagged it, price was good and hopefully I have bagged a good un, any thoughts on the dial etc would be most welcome

Please be nice, I accept the Connie's are not 'my thing'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planning on sending it to Swiss Tec in the UK (sister company to STS) for a sympathetic service and overhaul and then wearing it on a nice 50's/ 60's DSS Omega mesh or leather

Thanks Tom

2. sohail Jul 16, 2014

Looks really good .....

3. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2014

Aside from a replacement crown, it looks like a solid 14.381 with a caliber 551 inside. Bet it cleans up nice. How's the medallion?

4. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 16, 2014

Thanks chaps

The case back and medallion look pretty good to me

[​IMG]

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2014

Looks good. It's OK to clean them :D .

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. drillzzz Jul 16, 2014

Where was this purchased from? I’m looking for one as well

7. Dablitzer Jul 17, 2014

Very nice pick up! Those Arabic markers are more uncommon than you might think. Especially in steel and wg !! :)

8. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 17, 2014

Thanks all

It was a fleabay grab, going to take it down to STS in Essex whilst I am in sunny Southend for a fortnight next weekend so I am sure the chaps at Swiss Tec will be able to do a sterling job on it, I have put 200+ watches through them over the years and the quality of their work (IMHO) is equal to Bienne. Thankfully because I'm such a difficult customer their Service Manager handles all my work personally and we've already had a conversation about a 'sympathetic' restoration

Cheers Tom

9. GMB Jul 17, 2014

Great looking piece. Enjoy!

10. Mothra Jul 17, 2014

Is there a gouge out of the bezel at 7? Aside from that, really classy dress watch...

11. alvaropinto Jul 18, 2014

Looks great and even the alignment of the vertical line with the logo seems almost perfect (this is a controversial issue). You should be able to get the right crown.
    Cheers!

12. Dablitzer Jul 18, 2014

Business or pleasure? That's my neck of the woods.. How would you rate Swiss Tec then? Cheers

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 18, 2014

Has anybody ever seen a SS medallion case back on this case ref?

14. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 20, 2014

Dablitzer

I lived in Southend/ Westcliff for seven years and got to know the guys at STS well, their work is very good. With the changes at Omega recently I don't believe they can cater for some of the older vintage pieces through STS anymore and as such their sister company Swiss Tec now do some of this work, I've got a Marine Chronometer in with them at the moment so fingers crossed but I have seen the facilities and they are very impressive.

Anyway, down for pleasure, some friends have a place on the seafront near Ocean Beach so we are house sitting for a forthnight
    Best wishes Tom

15. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 16, 2014

Hi chaps, well after what has been an absolute journey on this one I have an update:

When I bought the watch it never arrived, seller had great feedback and said it must have been lost in the post so refunded me, I was gutted but at least I go my money back!

Then out of the blue mid august I got a mail to say it had been returned to her and was I still interested, so I snapped it up again and it finally arrived and was promptly sent to Swiss Time Services vintage restoration department, today I got an update

They say a picture says 1000 words (or something like that)

Note the NOS replacement crown ;-)

[​IMG]

Movement is a beauty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the money shot

[​IMG]

Proper new post to follow when the watch arrives back with me but needless to say STS have done another fine job for me

citizenrich, JimInOz, lando and 6 others like this.
  16. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 18, 2014

Today really didn't get off to good start (I won't go in to details but I wasn't a happy bunny this AM) and it continued to go down hill rapidly with one thing after another throughout the course of the morning, the promise of it finishing with a 3 hours (daily) round trip to visit my dad in the stroke unit at Scunthorpe hospital nigh on finished me off!

I popped home to swap car a couple of hours ago and my day instantly brighten when I opened the post and found this

[​IMG]

Darlinboy and Pahawi like this.
  17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 18, 2014

Prayers for your dad.

citizenrich likes this.
  18. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 18, 2014

Thanks for the kind words, it's slow going at the moment but he's in the right place

19. alvaropinto Sep 18, 2014

I wish a quick recover to your dad.
    As for the
    watch it's a total joy!

20. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 18, 2014

Thanks chaps, I am not normally a lover of Omegas earlier than 1970, I know this goes against the grain but I just love the 70's stuff, this little gem dates to 1961 and is simply a stunner, its a treat