Forums Latest Members
  1. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

Just bought these 12 vintage Omega Seamasters for $1,900 (seemed like a good deal and couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it was!) but I am new to the Omega world and trying to learn as much as I can. There are 2 De Ville's and 2 Geneve's. Most are in good shape except a few. And I have 3 maybe 4 BOR bracelets. I'm fairly certain 3 of the watches do not have Omega bracelets. I'm looking for advice, feedback...anything! Sorry the pic isn't that great.

image.jpg
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 9, 2013

Hello and welcome to the forum

I need better pictures to tell you what I think.

Did you buy them from a widow? May I ask.

Best

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 9, 2013

I think you did all right, but we'd need better pictures. The bracelets are worth a couple of hundred and have value, especially if the one on the lower right is Omega. Looks like it's from a modern Seamaster or Speedmaster Auto. You also might want to invest in a caseback knife or screwback opener. :thumbsup:

4. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I'm working on taking good pics of all of them but for starters here's one of the De Ville's. I bought them from a gentleman in his 90's who'd been collecting all of his life.

image.jpg
  5. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

thanks Kyle for your advice. Unfortunately the one on the bottom right is one of the three that don't have omega bracelets. All but two are screwbacks. I have gotten the serial numbers and number of the case backs off all of the screwbacks. I did notice on most of the case backs very faint markings?? Perhaps dates?? Are these service records? They are hand made marks inside on the case backs. Thanks.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 9, 2013

Probably watchmaker markings from service. Some of these have to be opened from the front by removing the crystal like the DeVille.

7. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

Any feedback on these? Or help in identifying them. Are they rare? One doesn't have an Omega case back. image.jpg Sorry for posting so many pics bit theres a few more coming.

8. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

Here's two more.

image.jpg image.jpg
  9. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

The top two and lower left do not have Omega bracelets. The top right is in the best shape out of all of them. Would you recommend putting leather bands on these? The bottom two dials are in the worst condition. should I redial these?

image.jpg
  10. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

Last batch. Are there any that are rare or special that I should be aware of? Do you recommend putting any work into the dials or bracelets? All of the watches are functioning and appear to have been serviced regularly. Any advice or info is appreciated!

image.jpg
  11. Adaugaard Jul 9, 2013

And which one should I keep? :)

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 10, 2013

They all look like clunkers.

If I was you I'd cut my losses and put them on eBay.

Er......can you PM just me when you do?

:D

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 10, 2013

Seriously, they all look to be standard Seamastersm aybe a couple of real keepers but it's hard to tell with the fuzzy pics and the sensory overload. I see some with replaced generic hands, some possibly re-dialed.

You should look at them all and decide what you'd like to keep and then post clearer pics so we can advise you.

It's also be helpful if you posted one watch per post with a reference number, e.g. 1 of 12.

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 10, 2013

I agree with Jim - unfortunately none of these are really rare. Many of them have little things wrong with them, but I would personally keep the Seamaster on the lower right (first pic) and that first DeVille you posted. A nice DeVille is pretty in demand and the Seamaster looks original with pink gold markers?

15. Adaugaard Jul 10, 2013

Thanks Jim and Kyle for your thoughts. It is a little overwhelming being a newbie and having so many to work with. My plan is to take them one at a time and learn as much as I can about each one. I'll post better pics as I go along and make it easier for everyone to comment. Thanks again!

16. rick42650 Jul 10, 2013

I am reminded of the difference between a collection and an accumulation.....

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. Adaugaard Jul 10, 2013

I apologize Rick if my "accumulation" offends you. Every collection starts somewhere. Mine just so happens to start with 12. The fact of the matter is I have been researching and looking at Omega Seamasters for a few months now and had been looking to buy my first one. I came across this "collection" and seized the opportunity to turn it into my "accumulation". I plan on keeping a few of these and would like to sell the rest in hopes of perhaps making a profit and adding a more rare or valuable Seamaster to my "collection", because it is indeed a collection. I really do appreciate your hospitality and expert advice.

18. Mothra Jul 11, 2013

I'm happily accumulating, at the moment. I don't have unlimited funds, and picking an inexpensive watch every month or so means i still get the thrill of the hunt and receiving an exciting package from who knows where in the world. I'm sure at some point ill start flipping and upgrading, but for now i need to build my watch fund and I'm wearing every single one of my now 15 watches depending on occasion. You keep accumulating away - you'll make a profit on those 12 and learn a load about them.....

Adaugaard likes this.
  19. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 11, 2013

It's hard to tell the real condition and merits of each watch from your pics but I doubt you will lose on your investment. The Deville on BOR bracelet, the crosshair Seamaster on BOR bracelet and the one on the top right of your 4th set of pics above the Seamaster Geneve look ok to me. The last one I mentioned is probably the oldest of the group and has a nice unpolished case.

It would be a good idea to get good pics of at least those three up so we can have a good look at them including movement pics if you can. My advice to you is to decide which ones you wish to keep and then have the movements serviced before you start wearing them. Then sell a few off and re-coup some funds because you're going to need them if you start hanging out here :D

20. rick42650 Jul 11, 2013

My comment was meant to reflect on the person you got them from-I think you said they had "collected " them over a long period of time.. maybe I confused something....but no reflection on you...I think you made a smart buy....