Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Aug 5, 2015

Following a long and circuitous path, this piece has finally arrived. [Pix from the seller.] It is a really special example of a great watch and the wait and angst now seem like distant memories. The pursuit was unlike any other that I have experienced in that it involved a fabulous and maybe unique example of an iconic and storied watch, one that was not on the market but with some cajoling, discussion, soul searching and analysis (along with a lot of input from a few of you) ultimately landed on my desk. Along the way I made a good "friend," learned some things about import and customs issues, and generally reassessed some of my collecting goals. One conclusion that I reached again is that it really makes sense to try to find the best piece that you can get your hands on within budgetary constraints (which many here have done for a long time), both from an enjoyment and appreciation aspect, and presumably a financial aspect (not my primary concern but still a background issue). Another is that patience and diligence can pay off in a big way, particularly where an uncommon reference is involved. And of course, the reminder that we can always make a few extra bucks to support a purchase but can't always find the watch that we are seeking.

When I can I will try to take and post more pix. Zenith Cairelli 2d.jpg

Anyway, sorry for the blabbering, but I wanted to reiterate my earlier thanks to the members here for guidance and encouragement, and a sincere apology for not sharing the details of the pursuit earlier (there were just too many ways that the deal could have been sidetracked).

Best.

Nick

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 5, 2015

WOW!

3. E-diddy Aug 5, 2015

the zenith cairelli cp-2 is a great watch! glad you got one that was issued and has a history.

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 5, 2015

I'm just beginning to appreciate the significance of Zenith watches, so I'll take everyone's word that this particular watch is special. From where I'm sitting, this is a very attractive-looking watch. Congratulations!

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 5, 2015

Great looking watch.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 5, 2015

Fantastic example of an iconic watch! Congrats.:thumbsup:

Let me be the first to say.... DIBS!:D

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 5, 2015

Very nice piece

8. marturx Aug 6, 2015

Magnificent! :coffee:

That is a truly fantastic watch, and truly fantastic looking too!

Much more collectible than a BC Sub IMO ;)

A really huge congrats on a great, great find, and very dedicated work to get it.

Luck had nothing to do with this acquisition, just good honest hard work and a lot of transpiration :)

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2015

Very pretty mate :)

10. Geo! Aug 6, 2015

11. Wongo Aug 6, 2015

yummy watch, pop corn or nuts ::popcorn::::popcorn::

12. BadAndy Aug 6, 2015

Wow. Congratulations.

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 6, 2015

A reveal well worth the wait. Congratulations on an incredible piece. Clearly an example to pursue at the premium discussed in your first post!

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 6, 2015

Condition, Condition, Condition!

blubarb likes this.
  15. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Aug 6, 2015

Very nice Zenith congratulations:thumbsup:

Mmmmmhhhhh condition is the A and O of every watch i fully agree except military watches because good condition means it was never really used.....

But that's just my 2 cents

I hope you use it and maybe you are a pilot;)

16. blubarb Aug 6, 2015

"...One conclusion that I reached again is that it really makes sense to try to find the best piece that you can get your hands on within budgetary constraints (which many here have done for a long time), both from an enjoyment and appreciation aspect, and presumably a financial aspect (not my primary concern but still a background issue)."

Couldn't agree more with your comments. To acquire a Grail of this proportion is a massive coup and a tribute to your patience and commitment. No doubt your story only adds to the ongoing provinance of this rare timepiece. Well landed. Congratulations!

17. gee_cee Aug 6, 2015

43mm?!! That would have been a monster back in the day. Looks lovely, good catch.

18. Severin Aug 6, 2015

A beautiful piece - congratulations! Despite the recent stress, I hope you will come to view the long walk as having been part of the gift. All the best.

19. JohnSteed Aug 6, 2015

Nice watch!

20. calalum Aug 6, 2015

And more pix from the seller. Guys-thanks for the kind comments. I looked at that little article and while the issued number is consistent with what I have heard before from various sources, the asserted number for surviving pieces sounds very questionable. It won't impact my enjoyment either way.

HAGWE all. Zenith Cairelli 2d.2.jpg

Unluckyfred, jsaen, Veritas99 and 5 others like this.