Forums Latest Members
  1. Egatdagi Apr 27, 2016

Hi guys. I thought you might be interested in this. I got it off the 'bay for less than $300 CAD
    It has a nasty dial and it's 14k gold filled but I like the 33mm on my skinny wrists.
    I'll be digging in to find out more about it but I'm sure you would like crack at it too. It's going into my regular wear rotation after a quick service. [emoji4][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregH likes this.
  2. cimo Apr 27, 2016

Congrats! I hope to own a bumper some day. Neat bit of tech. Dial doesn't look so bad to me. Enjoy!

3. Egatdagi Apr 27, 2016

Thanks. Judging from the gloss and the raised ink on the "Omega Automatic" it looks original to me. I'm in the process of researching the movement right now. It looks like a cal 354 from the early '50s. (1953)

Edited Apr 27, 2016
  4. ViaAppia Apr 27, 2016

Damn pretty, looks great with the strap as well

5. Just Livin Apr 27, 2016

Congrats! Enjoy:) Lovin the hands!

6. Egatdagi Apr 27, 2016

I think I may have reached the end of my meager vintage watch research skills. The numbers on the caseback don't conform to the numbering system that is available on the net. I suspect that this watch was cased by someone other than Omega or it's old enough that the numbers on the caseback predate the graphs available online. The serial number on the movement puts the watch at 1953 but I believe Omega was using their standard caseback reference numbers by then.
    I've seen several examples of the exact same dial and numbers in google image search but they all link to "ended" ebay auctions which I don't really trust for accurate information. If any of the more experienced members recognize the caseback style, I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
    Thanks so much

grizzlycanuck likes this.
  7. ncstate1201 Apr 28, 2016

Nice find enjoy it...

8. Egatdagi Apr 28, 2016

Well, I dropped the little guy off at the watchmaker for a service. They are good at servicing but they're spotty when it comes to knowing everything about vintage Omegas. I have bought a few nice vintage pieces from them in the past and I trust them to do a good service but they are, by no means, an authority on vintage and they won't attempt restorations. Anyway, my little "Bumper" was feeling a bit like a little "clunker" so it will probably need the springs replaced on the bumper mechanism.

While I was at the watchmaker I saw a 1940ish Omega that had the words "non-magnetic" under the Omega. I was tempted but I seem to remember someone mentioning that the words antimagnetic would never be on the dial of an original Omega dial. It was really pretty though :) I have no will power but I held off until I could do more research.

I could still use some advice on that bumper caseback reference if anyone can think of anything.
    Thanks for all of the interest

9. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 28, 2016

'Non-magnetic' is acceptible, 'Antimagnetic' is not. Will dig up a photo of my 1940s 26.5SC.

Edit - Here you go:

WP_20160212_17_51_37_Pro.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  10. Egatdagi Apr 28, 2016

That would be awesome, thanks. This one had a dial that was clean it looked brand new.

11. Egatdagi Apr 28, 2016

Wow. I need to go back and get it then. :)

12. Egatdagi Apr 29, 2016

So a little more searching the web and I've discovered that the numbers on the dial are called Breguet numerals and the case is an american made case by a company named Wadsworth. How am I doing so far?

13. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 29, 2016

14. Egatdagi Apr 29, 2016

Thanks for the link. That's actually where I got some of my information from :)
    Sorry if I caused some confusion. The Breguet Numerals and Wadsworth case are for the watch in this thread which I already own. The "non magnetic" watch is another one I found when dropping this one off at the watchmaker. Unfortunately, the "non magnetic one is 30 to 31 mm wide so I may pass on it. It's in such perfect condition that I really want it though.