Forums Latest Members

Just a little advice if you please....

1. alshilly May 4, 2017

Hey Guys n Girls,

Looking for a little advice on a problem which seems to have developed with my watch...

The watch in question is an Omega Seamaster Chronograph with the 3330 movement.

I hadn't worn it for about a week or so, and when winding it I thought that it felt a little "sticky" for want of a better word.

I changed the date as per Omega's instructions as i always do (winding the watch time to half past six).

I then set the time and screwed the crown down.

As i was concerned about the crown feeling "sticky" when i was winding i then tried the chronograph

Upon pressing the start button, instead of the chrono starting, the chrono second hand didn't move and the second hand stopped, in effect completely stopping the watch.

I pressed it again and the chrono started as normal. I stopped and reset it about five or six times, letting the chrono run for approximately fifteen seconds per time, and it worked normally then stopped the complete watch again after about the seventh time.

This has never happened before. The watch has even been running about +1 second per day, and this has suddenly happened.

The watch is still within the 4 year warranty, but i am somewhat gutted to say the least that my favourite watch has developed a problem and i may have to part company with it for months.

The questions i would like to ask are...

1. Does this sound like a familiar problem with this movement?

2. Assuming the problem can be fixed, does anyone have any idea how long I will be Omega free?

3. Is it a sign of further problems in the future?

Thanks for reading, and i appreciate anyone's comments,

All the best,
    Allan

2. ras47 May 4, 2017

The 3330 movement is an automatic movement so you wind it by the motion of the watch on your wrist. Are you winding it by spinning the crown? Try gently moving the watch from side to side so you hear the winding weights inside spinning. Sounds like it's just not wound.

alshilly likes this.
  3. alshilly May 4, 2017

As I am an engineer I primarily wear a g-shock to work, so there are regular periods of more than a week or so that the Omega won't be worn for fear of damage due to risk of impact etc.

I am aware that it's a self winding movement, but as there are regular periods of more than 48 hours without wear, the power reserve has regularly been allowed to wind down and stop, therefore it has been necessary to wind the crown, as per Omega instructions.

It states in the instructions to wind the crown approximately 50 times to wind the watch from zero power. It normally takes around this amount before a small ratcheting sound occurs, which I assume to be the anti-overwind mechanism kicking in.

I have always wound it like this after periods of not wearing the watch with no issues, but this is the first time this problem has occurred.

Thanks for your reply,
    Allan

lando and Foo2rama like this.
  4. ICONO May 4, 2017

If the watch is still within the warranty period

Take it in to an Omega AD, & have it checked

It is far better that you are re assured in your own mind, that either is all is well… or that remedial action is being taken preserve the watch's integrity

alshilly and Jwit like this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF May 4, 2017

+1 for taking it in under warranty. Always better safe than sorry.

While your beloved SM is away you can take the time to pleasure yourself with another watch to fill the void. Plenty of sub $500 watches out there that hit way over their weight class ;)

Omega1, Foo2rama and alshilly like this.
  6. ras47 May 4, 2017

I've owned Seamasters for a decade or more and have been unaware of winding automatic movements via the crown! I always just gave them a little jostle to use the internal winding mechanism and never had a problem. Huh. Ya learn something every day! So much for the old adage about old dogs and new tricks. :)

alshilly likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2017

1 - not that I am aware of.

2 - depends on your country and service center, but likely 6 weeks or so.

3 - no.

Cheers, Al

Larry S, lando, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2017

It is good to learn :)
    There is nothing wrong with fully winding an automatic watch in most cases. There are autos that can not be hand wound, but this is not one of them. Most people will fully manually wind an auto that has not been worn for a while in order to fully charge the power reserve. This helps out a lot during periods that the watch may be worn for only a few hours a day (such as removal during work processes to ensure no damage to the watch.)

Larry S, lando and alshilly like this.
  9. ras47 May 5, 2017

Good to know. I never even considered it a possibility. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

alshilly likes this.
  10. alshilly May 5, 2017

Thanks for taking the time out to reply guys

It's going in to the AD tomorrow. I may as well take advantage of the warranty while it's still valid.

Cheers,
    Allan

watch3s likes this.
  11. watch3s May 5, 2017

take advantage of that warranty!

alshilly likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 5, 2017

How many autos outside of Seiko can't be hand wound?

watch3s likes this.
  13. jimmyd13 May 5, 2017

Off the top of my head, I can think of the LWO 282 (Lemania) and ETA 2892 ... I'm sure there are more.

watch3s likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 5, 2017

15. jimmyd13 May 5, 2017

Hmmm .... will try to wind that watch later ...

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2017

2892 can certainly be wound by hand - you may not hear it because it's very quiet, but it's winding...

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 5, 2017

18. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE May 6, 2017

My old Chrono did exactly this after being in for a service/refurb. I can't remember the exact cause but apparently it went back to Switzerland to be fixed, worded fine afterwards and they added an additional years warranty on the work for the hassle

19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 6, 2017

Orient Blue Mako
    Orient Beater.jpg

20. alshilly May 7, 2017

Another years warranty would be ideal, I'm only a year into the 4 year warranty.

I definitely wasn't expecting problems with a watch that is only a year old

Thanks,
    Allan