Forums Latest Members

Jupiter's Moon Europa May Have Water Plumes That Rise Up About 125 Miles

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

Ever since I was a kid I've had a fascination with Europa and the vast oceans beneath its crust, the Gungan city in Star Wars Episode I could be partly responsible for that, but the possibility of life existing in those oceans and what form that life might take is something I hope I see in my lifetime.

http://slashdot.org/story/316741

Jwit, novina and RegF like this.
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 27, 2016

I agree and find a lot of comfort in the fact that life may not be so unique to our planet, which we are on a solid path to fuck up for future generations. Overall we behave like teenagers home alone in the house throwing a massive party without any intension to clear up afterwards.

There is a decent little sci-fi movie called Europa Report from 2013. Nothing special but worth watching.

akshayluc420 and RegF like this.
  3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

I watched this movie with pretty low expectations, but ended up really enjoying it.

flw and dialstatic like this.
  4. novina Sep 27, 2016

It's real cool that science fiction is proving more correct than science some times. I vaguely recall a small film, 2001 A Space Odyssey, that mentioned Europa. Ok, guess I have to see that film again. But other wise, this is very cool stuff. I firmly believe that we are an arrogant species for not believing in life beyond or planet. Considering we are still a young world, it goes to reason that there are other older civilizations of some sort else where in this vast universe. Perhaps Europa will one day become a weigh station on our eventual journey into space.

5. RegF Sep 27, 2016

The other news that keeps my hopes up are:-

1.)Rocky exe-planets being discovered elsewhere in the galaxy keeps growing exponentially,giving rise to the hypothesis that planets are pretty much the norm around stars and many have been found in the so-called goldilocks zone allowing liquid water on the surface ( altghough Europa and Ganymede may re-write the extent of that zone)

2.)While the speed of light in the vacuum of space cannot be exceeded ( its been stopped dead solid in a few labs in special circumstances recently - so technically walking past is exceeding the speed of light) the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, such that the fabric of space is moving faster than than light. Some guys in a lab have already been able to create a tiny warp in this stuff- space-time,

So a ship that surfs the crest of this warp at faster than light speed is merely a problem in engineering and scale and hey-presto we'll be having 5 year missions to boldy go and seek out new planets with new civilisations.

I enjoy reading the science news way more than the rest of the dreary stuff about politicians, paedophiles and terrorists

And yes, Europa Report was middling okay and 2001 is a classic of the genre.

ahartfie, Jwit and novina like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

Group flight purchase??

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. RegF Sep 27, 2016

As long as I don't get the red shirt, I'm in :thumbsup::D

ahartfie, Vitezi, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  8. novina Sep 27, 2016

But maybe you are the plucky comic relief in the crew. They don't follow the path of a normal red shirt.

RegF likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2016

Part was meant for you;

RegF and Darlinboy like this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 27, 2016

When does the From Moon to Jupiter Speedmaster LE come out?

11. cottonlume Sep 27, 2016

That's a lot of water! Good thing I've got my seamaster

12. meganfox17 Sep 27, 2016

I'm sending my moonwatch subdial blueprints to Omega's Big Kahuna for a thousand bucks a piece

From Moon to Jupiter

[​IMG]

From Moon to Europa. Say.. it looks a lot like Mars so i guess it can support life once Earth is Screwed Up Royally

[​IMG]

If Omega gives me the boot then i'll sell 'em to Tianjin Seagull watch company of [emoji630] [emoji14]

**Mod edited so it looks tidy**

Edited by a mod Sep 27, 2016
    Jones in LA, RegF, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  13. RegF Sep 27, 2016

Wow, he's totally redefined the "Red Shirt" role in nerd-dom [​IMG]

I'm honoured that you think I'm worthy of this mantle in this context.

I had previously only thought John Scalzi's novel "Red Shirts" was the only redemption of this coloured apparel. :D

I was also interested to hear today that Mr Musk will have us "affordable"* space flight and a colony on Mars real soon.

* affordable = $100,000 so I guess that means flipping a couple of Lange's or a PP or two

14. Lapanouse Sep 28, 2016

Rumor has it that Elon Musk is planning a passenger flight to Europa for 2030. All the talk of life or the possibility of life on other heavenly bodies is interesting, but the larger concern is if there are Speedmasters.

RegF likes this.
  15. kurtj29 Sep 28, 2016

Good movie (Europa Report). Worth watching.

16. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Sep 28, 2016

Ah, science fiction becomes truth. Happens more often than you think. How about Dick Tracy. But, back in college, when Star Trek first came out, many of the girls I dated called me Jim, Capt. Kirk or My Captain. Why, because I was going where no man had gone before!!!!!

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 28, 2016

"All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there" ....." 2010 " AC Clark.

Looking fwd to a probe flying through and looking for life signs. Better than crashing and drilling

RegF likes this.
  18. RegF Sep 28, 2016

Well Meganfox17 has shown that such variants are theoretically possible, so in an infinte number of planets, there's bound to be an example.

Will it clash with a red shirt is the next question.

meganfox17 likes this.