Forums Latest Members
  1. sba2222 Oct 26, 2015

Hi All, I am on the hunt for a vintage watch for my boyfriend. I have my heart set on starting his collection with an Omega, which has been very difficult to find.

I do however really like this JLC that is posted on this forum for sale.

Can I get people's thoughts? Should I keep looking for the Omega, or is this JLC a special watch that would be nice to receive as a gift?

Thanks!!

Link for JLC: https://omegaforums.net/threads/jaeger-lecoultre-memovox-cal-814.30812/

01_zpsjkrq1vjk.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2015

The LeCoultre alarm you're asking about is a nice watch. However, if you're set on getting an Omega that's okay too and we can help.

3. calalum Oct 26, 2015

That is a nice looking watch but keep in mind that it is a relatively small case, if that is an issue.

4. sba2222 Oct 26, 2015

Do you know of anywhere other than this forum that I could find a nice Omega (somewhere trustworthy)

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2015

That is a good choice for a first vintage watch. The fact that it is serviced is a big plus.

You can get a nice Omega manual wind for less on eBay, but that's always a crapshoot.

One thing that is nice about that particular model is that it is steel rather than gold filled. That means that the case is the Swiss made version with the case locking ring. This means better construction than the US made ones.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    gatorcpa

NT931, Baz9614 and noelekal like this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 26, 2015

Why?
    That may help us understand how to answer.
    Omega is a fine watch and continues to be.
    LeCoultre is arguably higher quality today than it was when this watch was made, but it was still among the better brands in the 50's and 60's.
    This LeCoultre is attractive, and offered at a nice price considering it also features an alarm function. But is is on the smaller side, and will appear even more so because of the width of the bezel (the part that holds the clear plastic lens, not sure how familiar you might be with the watch language).
    For the price, there's not a whole lot of other vintage watches I would rather have, unless a very nice condition Omega or Longines became available.

noelekal and Geo! like this.
  7. Kja Oct 26, 2015

Isnt there like 3 pie pans in the for sale part here for about the same price? Not to mention all the ones on ebay if you know what to look for? I just got mine on original bracelet for $800 off the bay, its not perfect it has wear on the back from him wearing it and spots on the dial but its almost 60 yrs old so i think its charm..

8. sba2222 Oct 26, 2015

I'm worried about purchasing on ebay since everyone has advised that I do not do that. I am definitely no expert and really don't want to risk buying something that might not be authentic.

9. sba2222 Oct 26, 2015

you make interesting points, if the face is on the smaller side I am ok with it as it is a vintage and I understand that larger faces weren't that common, but that being said I don't want it to be on the way smaller side either.

I don't want to get a longines, because he recently purchased a brand new one. He has done a lot of reading on Omega because he wanted to buy a new one, then became intrigued by the vintage market, but has yet to pursue shopping for one. (I'm hoping to beat him to it).

That being said I know he would be thrilled with a JLC or a Rolex as well. The reason I became set on Omega is because I read that they have always been amazing watches (some say better than rolex, and have been amazing for a long time) Which led me to believe that their vintage collections must be better to buy vs. any others.

I could be wrong, but this is what I have found in my research. The only other issue I have with the JLC is the damage on the back, since this is a gift (vintage or not) I would prefer to purchase something that isn't damaged...

Time Exposure likes this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 26, 2015

The watch maker I use to rehab and service my old wheezer watches just had this to say today during an email exchange.

"Myself, I prefer vintage Omegas because they are one of the most accurate watches ever made (the old ones, not the ones from 1980 and beyond ..."

You won't go wrong with a nice vintage Omega. Omega produced a lot of movements and variants and most of them give excellent service if properly tended with no inaccuracy drama.

I do like that LeCoultre alarm and am not concerned with smaller watches. I enjoy wearing 'em all.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 26, 2015

Omega (and Longines) offer some great value considering the quality of their watches from the 50's-60's. I wouldn't mess with the 70's as these began to decline in quality.
    As a side note, my personal favorite "bang for the buck" is IWC (International Watch Co.). Their vintage pieces are very soft at the moment, though a nice one will be twice that LeCoultre (about $1600).
    Your choice to go Omega is a good one, stick with it. And this is a great place to get help with vintage Omega. I wish I had specific examples to suggest, but they will probably materialize over the next few days.
    I admire the "extra mile" you are investing here. Very few of us men are so lucky, though I am one. My wife had my best buddy figure out my dream watch and reported back to her. That was one memorable Christmas... :)

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 26, 2015

There range of styles (and prices) in vintage Omega is very wide. Another good place to review vintage examples is in the Market Place section of this forum. You'll see a wide variety of vintage Omega, and also get a sense of what may fit into your budget.

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 26, 2015

www.watchrecon.com ... there is all you need to know and more ;-)
    cheers, Al

14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 26, 2015

would you really put a IWC over a JLC (say - same range of lines)? ... and if you think so, why?

cheers, Al

15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 26, 2015

true that, but also works in your favor ... if you can "live" with 34-37mm, then you can get really good deals nowadays, as everybody and their dog like watches 44+mm (which is ridiculous, and imho a passing fad)

34-42 is considered classic size ... you'd be hard pressed to find a Patek with 46mm ;-) that's why those huge disks will - again imho - be a "rapper's special"

best

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 26, 2015

From the 50's into the 60's, yes. Based on what I have read over 30 years collecting, I would sooner have an IWC than a LeCoultre. I would rather have an IWC caliber 8541B than an Omega Constellation caliber 564, though I suspect I'm in the minority (especially here on the Omega Forum)!
    If you meant today, no way. JLC over IWC.

George.A, Archer and watchyouwant like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2015

According to the listing, it's 34.5mm diameter, which is average for a 1950's watch. Vintage Omega Constellations are almost exactly the same size. I think that you will have a hard time finding a nicer Omega, fully serviced, without either spending more or going to eBay.

A quick search finds an equivalent watch from TimeZone with a significantly higher price tag:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7027978&rid=0

Jaeger-LeCoultre is kind of the "watchmaker's watchmaker". They made movements for higher-end companies like Cartier and Vacheron & Constantin. I understand the issue with the scratch on the back. A good watchmaker may be able to make it less noticeable, but frankly, I wouldn't recommend it. It's part of the character of the watch.

I did see this Omega on WatchRecon. Not a bad deal. The seller has been trying to move it for awhile. Maybe worth a bit lower offer.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/[fs]-omega-gorgeous-vintage-jumbo-size-2217186.html

However, it's not perfect and hasn't been serviced like the Memovox above.

Just post any potential purchases here. We'll give you our collective opinions.
    gatorcpa

18. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 26, 2015

It's a really nice piece at a great price considering it's serviced already. I'm short on funds though. :(

19. sba2222 Oct 26, 2015

I am actually ok to spend more than the JLC, but I am purchasing in CAD$ which isn't doing too well right now, and I'm trying to stay close to $1000 give or take a couple hundred.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2015

I suspect that you are wrong. However, bear in mind that any non-gold watch with the cal. 8541 is going to sell for about double the equivalent Constellation. So you need to factor that in.

Today IWC and JLC are sister companies in the Richemont portfolio.
    gatorcpa

Time Exposure likes this.