Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Jan 10, 2014

As part of a on-again-off-again search for a JLC dress watch around 37mm (to fit my scrawny wrists), I came across a JLC Master Moon Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkon sale from fabsuisse, one of the sellers that has had good reviews here in the past.

Never thought I'd be very keen on a moonphase but this looked quite attractive! The layout also reminds me of some of the TDMPs discussed before in this forum.

The watch will need a service though. The strap is quite worn but that's OK as I plan to replace it with a short strap.

Since fellow forumers have helped out tremendously in the past I hope you guys don't mind if I solicit your opinions again:
    1. Does the watch look ok?
    2. The watch has curved springbars. Not having dealt with them before, if I were to buy a replacement strap would the JLC curved bars fit? ie. are all curved springbars for a particular length equally curved?
    3. Is the price a little on the high side, considering the watch and the lack of B&P?

As always, thanks!

2. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2014

Warren has the ultra-thin and he likes it. I tried it on and didn't like it on my wrist because it looked very wide at 39 mm and such a flat profile. The watch you're looking at is much thicker and only 37 mm. Width wise it's great, but it does sit tall because of all the complications. You should try one on before deciding to spend that much.

Curved springbars are no issue if you get practically any strap with curved ends.

Gregg is a good seller. The watch looks fine, but it will be expensive to service, possibly needing to go back to LeSentier. I'd say he's asking quite a bit more than market for it. You can shoot him an offer, but IMO that's about $800-ish over where it should be.

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2014

Absolutely. I love the design of these but when I tried it on it just didn't work on me at all. If you really like them, there is an updated version which is a bit bigger that has either just come out or is about to come out.

4. NT931 Jan 10, 2014

Thanks guys. The problem I have with the newer JLCs from the past 3-4 years is that they're all slightly too big for my wrist.

The MUT Moon is heart-stoppingly beautiful indeed (ooooooh!) but as Dennis was saying, it looked too big on my wrist when I tried it. Ditto for the current 39mm RDM, the 40mm MUT Grande, and the 41mm MUT. The only one looking appropriately sized on my wrist was the MUT 38mm, but I found the dial a little plain.

I'll go check out the current Master Calendar like you suggested Warren - if the 10.5mm thickness of the current one sits awkwardly on me, then the 10mm thickness of the older version that fabsuisse is selling probably won't work either. Great suggestion! And thanks guys.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2014

Well it is thinner than AT 38.5 mm. I have 7 inch wrist, I've tried once, it fit nice.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2014

Wow - I only wish I got anywhere near that much when I sold mine - mine went for about $3800 if I recall, and that was only 2 years ago. Either the prices have shot up considerably, or this is way overpriced.

Note that a service on one of these is about $1200, so not cheap at all.

It's a great watch - not sure why people are saying it's thick - I never found it thick to wear.

I probably still have the OEM short croc strap I bought for it - only wore the strap maybe 2 times before I flipped the watch with a new blue croc on it. If you are interested in the strap, shoot me a PM...

Cheers, Al

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2014

Don't you service it yourself, Al?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2014

Richemont has a blanket policy of not selling spare parts to independent watchmakers....parts for Modern JLC's are not available, so they need to go to the factory for service. This is the main reason I sold the watch actually...

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2014

:(........I guess Swatch is more reasonable......or are they heading to same direction?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2014

Right now (no one knows what the future holds) Swatch allows qualified independents* to order parts for everything up to and including Omega.

Anything above Omega is a prestige brand, and parts are not available.

For example I sent my Blancpain Leman for service, and as soon as it returned, it was sold. I still have the GO (currently in Germany for service) and that is a keeper. I also own 2 Richemont watches - JLC Master Compressor Memovox, and Panerai 104. The Panerai uses a modified ETA 7750, so I service it with no issues, and the JLC is a keeper and will go back to them for service when the time comes.

* - You have to have the proper education, experience, Swatch training, and shop equipment

Cheers, Al

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

Maybe a commando raid on Richemont, we've got the trained troops for that

12. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2014

They can go in totally stealth too!

13. Mothra Jan 11, 2014

Stealthy? All you'd be able to hear would be 'Oooh! I want that one', 'Dennis, stop doing wrist shots', 'I used to have the original' and 'Thats never a high class movement, look at that bridge!'. You'd be mobbed by security in seconds....

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

You don't know our troops. ninja_squirrel.jpg

NT931 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

I don't know you guys :confused:

16. NT931 Jan 13, 2014

Anyway, another Master MoonPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network turned up on eBay.

The seller doesn't ship to Singapore, and has only 12 feedback. The BIN price was $3300 and it got sold pretty quick a few hours after I found it.

Out of curiosity (for my own learning) is it legit? It looked like it was... not that I would've made an offer given lack of shipping option and my worries about the seller having only 12 feedback.

17. ulackfocus Jan 13, 2014

Nigel, Nigel, Nigel…… what did I tell you about sellers that don't ship to you? ::facepalm2::

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2014

Watch itself looks perfectly legit.

19. NT931 Jan 13, 2014

Erm, did you once make an offer to help ship 'em to Singapore? My memory's not what it used to be... :( Damn am getting this feeling I missed out on a decent deal... then again I was nervous about the 12 feedback and was planning to email the seller... till the watch got sold!

20. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 13, 2014

Looks legit to me too.

al128 likes this.