Forums Latest Members
  1. Tripitz Sep 29, 2015

I recently bought an old master control,and when it arrived i was rather happy,but
    it was described as "the seconds hand doesn't move,so i am selling it"
    I wanted this watch for a long time and thought i finally can get it,and I was ready to pay for the repair
    I contacted the seller and everything was going quite smooth,and today it arrived.
    The seller seemed pretty serious and the package was of best quality
    But then i took out the watch and my dreams were crushed as i saw that somebody had removed the serial number.
    My first thought was that this dream of a watch had been unrightful taken from its original owner.
    So i went to the police and asked about it,and they said that they couldn't do anything about it,because the number is missing and told me to go to my local watchmaker to check for some markings on the movement .
    To my disappointment the watchmaker was only able to tell me the watch has a water-damage and can only be repaired directly from JLC and that JLC wouldn't touch it if it has no Case-Nummber.
    So I m stuck with an irreparable possibly stolen watch and have no idea what to do now.
    I hope somebody can help me with that

IMG_6474.JPG IMG_6475.JPG IMG_6477.JPG
  2. cristos71 Sep 29, 2015

The only thing to do is return the watch.

If the watch was not described as water damaged and missing the serial number and the seller is an honest person then he will take surely take it back.

Thw question is how did you pay and was it a local or international transaction?

3. Tripitz Sep 29, 2015

Thanks for the fast reply,it was an international transaction and I used paypal...I am not sure if i can get my money back because he sold it as "not working"
    another question,is there any way to fix the watch?

4. ConElPueblo Sep 29, 2015

Probably by sending it to an independent watch maker? I'd try to get it returned though. Have you contacted the seller? "Not working" is not the same as "Unfixable". Also, I'd say the missing serial number should be enough to warrant a return.

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 29, 2015

Immediately ask the seller for a return and refund. If refused, open a case with PayPal and explain it fully. If you paid though PaylPal using a credit card, dispute the charge there as well.

Good luck!

6. cristos71 Sep 29, 2015

The fact that the serial number is missing is reason enough for a return. I would persue this avenue.

Fixing the watch is of course possible, with a JLC the question is only how deep are your pockets?

Tripitz likes this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 29, 2015

Return it. If you didn't pay as paypal "gift" and you where invoiced then you should be OK. I you used CC on top of that then you'll be OK.

"not working" because of a second hand issue is a far cry from water damage...but a serial filed is never acceptable. there is only one reason to file a serial off, and it is not a good one.

8. abrod520 Sep 29, 2015

This is one reason to always ask to see serial numbers when buying secondhand - I agree it's not a good idea to keep this given that situation.

Tripitz likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2015

I agree he should return it, but (I'm making an assumption here about your "one reason" to remove a serial number), IMO this doesn't mean it's stolen. Often watches that went through grey dealers would have the external serial numbers removed so the brand would not be able to easily trace them and find out they were being sold on to a grey dealer by an AD.

To the OP - if you don't return it, I would contact JLC directly and ask about repairs. I would be surprised if JLC would refuse to service this watch simply because the serial number on the case had been removed. Most definitely a claim for warranty service would be refused, but if you are paying for the work I'm almost certain they would service it. They may charge you extra to put the number back on the case, but my feeling is they will service it for you. If the serial number was removed from both the case and the movement, then that is a different story, but most companies will still service a watch when the case serial number has been removed.

Cheers, Al

Nobel Prize and Tripitz like this.
  10. Tripitz Sep 29, 2015

Thank you all for the answers
    I don't really like the idea of giving it back, because I waited long to get one for a good price.
    I read up about the grey market and i think that might be possible...but my biggest fear is that I send it in and it gets confiscated,leaving me empty handed.
    Also,it looks like the watch IS actualy working,but the second hand always stops at 40 and moves only if i give it a swing
    That gives me hope that the watch is not "broken beyond repair"

11. calalum Sep 29, 2015

If you are willing to keep the watch notwithstanding the serial no. issue, then presumably there are plenty of good watchmakers around who can service it.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2015

That watch is far from being "broken beyond repair" in my view. It takes a lot more than what I see there to call it a write off...example of one I've brought back that looked much worse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Certainly took some work and a bunch of new parts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you can bring back watches that have a lot more damage than what I can see there...

[​IMG]

The problem here will be access to parts. Richemont makes the Swatch Group look downright generous when it comes to spare parts distribution policies...this will need to go to JLC to be repaired I suspect.

Again, the OP should contact JLC directly and ask about both the serial number issue, and about getting it serviced.

Cheers, Al

Fer Seamaster and PHPHD like this.
  13. Tripitz Sep 29, 2015

Wow,that's some really nice work you've done there
    I called the nearest JLC dealer that was listed on their Website,and as soon as i mentioned that i bought it from the internet,he became totally rude, and when i mentioned the serial he told me blantly it was stolen and that it will be confiscated if I should show it to him.

14. Tripitz Sep 29, 2015

Reminds me of that thread about "Is the Speedmaster Waterproof?"

15. abrod520 Sep 29, 2015

Yikes. This was a dealer, you say? Maybe try your nearest JLC boutique. They may take a different tone - I have never had a good experience at a dealer (which is not to say all of my experiences were bad, just not good either)

Tripitz likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2015

Okay the dealer is clearly an arsehole - if I were in your situation I would take it in, see if he "confiscates it" and if he does tell him I'm going to call the police for theft...but anyway...

I agree if you have a boutique close by that is company owned, talk to them instead, or call the actual company directly, not a dealer...

Mothra and Tripitz like this.
  17. Rman Sep 29, 2015

Open a case with PayPal and return the watch. You are creating a bigger problem by keeping it.

18. Mothra Sep 29, 2015

It never occurred to me that 'arsehole' would be part of the Canadian vernacular as opposed to the nearer North American 'asshole'. That made my day...

Tripitz likes this.
  19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 29, 2015

If you keep it, be sure you are willing to swallow a very large repair bill. A guess of course, but $2k+ would not shock me with the condition as you have described.

Archer likes this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 29, 2015

If the fact that the obliterated number was not disclosed OR evident in the photographs then return it as non-compliant. ASAP!

If the number issue was evident in some way, suck it up and begin your project.

Good luck either way.

Edit: Don't JLC have serial numbers on their movements?