Forums Latest Members

JLC Master Control date sector dial

1. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

Hello all,

At SIHH 2017 Jaeger-LeCoultre announced the new Master Control date with a sector dial. I absolutely love this watch, it comes in at what I think is a reasonable $5700. I love the touch of blue throughout the two tone sector dial. The skeleton, syringe hands, with the date window with blue numerals. It just looks complete! The watch is scheduled to be released in July. I am curious should I wait and try to snag one on the secondhand market or pull the trigger and get it at full retail. Not sure how JLC's do on the secondhand market but from my research they are all over the place and there are no guarantees, thoughts?

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/01/18/a...-launches-three-new-vintage-inspired-watches/

(Pic from Hodinkee)
    [​IMG]

2. ConElPueblo Mar 30, 2017

No lume in the hands = no go. It smacks of contrived nostalgia, just like fake patina.

semper_shells likes this.
  3. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

I never thought of it that way. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to vintage watches and to me it was just different. Obviously the sector dial is a nod to the vintage. Interesting perspective. So I take it you're not a fan of fake patina?

4. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

Well I think the whole sector dial range introduced by JLC was a great move. The new sector dial master control date is certainly a versatile timepiece and an excellent value proposition.

I did like the master control date black dial as well, released in 2016, but this new version has more character...it will not retain value over time and will probably devalue around 30-35% on the pre-owned market...so buying it as an intend keeper would be my recommendation.

Larry S and semper_shells like this.
  5. Rman Mar 30, 2017

I am also of the same opinion. None of these designs or fonts feel harmonious to me. I'm not sure these will hold up on the secondary market as well as, say, the Master Moons and the Reversos.

6. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

This was a purchase that I planned on it being a more permanent choice, if it's one thing I learned from the gang around here is that you buy because you like not as an investment.

Jwit likes this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

Then go for it! Clearly everyone here in this thread is just expressing their valid POV/opinion....there is no deemed authority to dictate what is beautiful or not...and it will not be the size, wealth of a given collection that will make one opinion more valid than another:)

I personally think the skeleton hands give the design some breathing space and do not see it as a vintage "gimmick". You also get a nice gold rotor to look at through the exhibition case back...all for US$5.7K, a great value proposition. The only JLC I own is a DuoFace Ultrathin Reverso...and it brings a smile to my face every time I wear it. I think JLC is a great brand to add to your collection.

Larry S and semper_shells like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

I'd go for the chrono as a keeper.

9. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

@Riviera Paradise my thoughts exactly. I would love a reverso but that might be outta my price range. That was like my first introduction into vintage watches. Alicia Keys wore one in one of her music videos and I was hooked.

10. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

I like the chrono but with me getting a Speedy Tuesday I was trying to keep diversity in my collection. Plus at that price point I might be able to get a nice reverso duoface.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Personally I'd go for the Reverso.

12. Drawarms Mar 30, 2017

date wheel kills it for me

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

I like these but for me the Reverso, Memovox And Master Moon are my faves.

14. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

@Larry S I agree, at around $8k other than the Reverso these caught my attention.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Check out meteor dial Master ... Bit more but worth it. Also Geophysic true seconds. You really can go wrong with this brand as keeper stock. Great value for money. Still a Reverso is a must for a collection.

semper_shells likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Ps @Riviera Paradise I completely agree that the Reverso is a watch that radiates happiness. I said that to tha AD when I bought my grand Reverso Duo. It, my GMT Master 2 and my RG Master Moon will always be core to my collection.

17. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

@Larry S Those three are a complete collection right there! You could stop buying and those 3 would hold their own to anything out there. The RG Master Moon triple date just does it for me. No pics?

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

IMG_4568.JPG IMG_4569.JPG IMG_4547.JPG IMG_4468.JPG