Forums Latest Members

JLC Master Chronograph thoughts/feedback?? Any alternatives?

1. hrobi Oct 5, 2016

Hi all,

I've always really admired JLC, and always loved the dress-chronograph look, particularly with the rectangular pushers (ALS Datograph, zenith equivalents, Patek, etc.)

In terms of mid-term grail goals, I was looking at JLC recently, and looking at the usual suspects... UT moon, geophysic, etc., but was surprised to see the affordability of the JLC Master Chronograph on the second hand market! many examples could be found at around $5.5k USD for a decent example with full set!

So now a mid-term grail could be very much more short term.... I've had my eye on a Rolex Datejust 116200 36mm smooth bezel, but for just a little bit more I could have this watch so that throws a spanner in the works...
    40mm, ~12mm thick, outstanding heritage and movement, versatility (could be dress or casual, although leans more towards dress)... I very much like the pulsograph too and the heritage behind that (used to check heart bpm by doctors back in the day), a little bit more unique than the standard tachometer that I would never ever use in practice.

While I try to find an AD in Sydney or Melbourne to try one on, any thoughts from current owners/others considering this watch?

I'm torn also over whether I would prefer the silver or white dials... I think in the end, the silver is more versatile and would look better on a multitude of straps.. the black however looks so so so cool on the black alligator strap! the silver (white gold maybe?) indices and hands really pop on the black dial - but the blue hands on the silver version also are nice.

Also - any alternative options around this pricepoint second hand that people can suggest? the zenith el primero classic is an obvious one, however the simplicity of the dial doesn't really do it for me... also there are Glashutte Original options out there that I haven't investigated in depth! 21988-1.jpg 230880_458_ktiith.jpg 292660d87b865bab1a3f86823e73b89b.jpg 4646098f_xxl.jpg maxresdefault (2).jpg Q1538420_model.jpg

Riviera Paradise and Nobel Prize like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 5, 2016

They are a very good value. You really can't go wrong.

hrobi likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Oct 5, 2016

Better value than the datejust. More Original, better brand....get the JLC

And i love Rolex.

Syrte likes this.
  4. hrobi Oct 6, 2016

Agreed! There have been sales of this watch as low as $4500usd in decent condition full set, which is cheaper than new gen datejusts second hand lol...

Would you go the silver or black dial? Having not tried either on IRL yet, I'm leaning slightly towards the silver... more understated and versatile than the black perhaps. The black on the black leather tho is pretty amazing in photos.

5. hrobi Oct 6, 2016

And in general, I'm shocked at how much some JLC's depreciate! For a watch brand that is universally lauded, losing 40% or more value for a mint/excellent condition second hand piece seems odd. While at the same time, people pay bucket loads for Rolex. I also love Rolex, but the value is only found in the older 90-00's pieces it seems, and the clasps are terrible for a $5k watch

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 6, 2016

Personallly I like the black. JLC is the real deal. Real heritage, innovation, in house movements, above average finishing. I think their marketing sucks on these chronos and that is why it's better to buy used. Also to be honest the date window is off putting. These were value priced to begin with though.

Edited Oct 6, 2016
  7. SeanO Oct 6, 2016

Monards in Melbourne and Sydney as well I believe.

8. NT931 Oct 6, 2016

Yes, I confess to liking dress chronographs too. Haven't quite been able to afford a Dato yet, but I'm working on it! :whistling:

The Master Chronograph is a watch I've admired for some time, though I've never pulled the trigger despite fairly compelling prices, as you've noticed. I'm a big JLC fan, and the reasons why I like this watch are similar to what you've elucidated - 40mm size, vintage feel, rectangular pushers, in house movement.

A few observations though:
    1. There are 4 dial variants - 2 black, 2 white. Of the 4, I prefer the black Aston Martin version best cos of the black date window, and the splashes of red on the dial
    2. Some might find date windows annoying on chronos, so the regular black version with the white date window can be rather noticeable
    3. It wears bigger than the 40mm, feels more like a 41mm watch, esp for the white dial versions (i've tried it)
    4. As for alternatives, the recent Seiko 60th Anniversary chronograph with the urushi dial is pretty cool. Much cheaper, in-house movt, and it wears well, though much thicker at 15mm, and slightly bigger at 42mm.

hrobi and Larry S like this.
  9. abrod520 Oct 6, 2016

Jaeger-LeCoultre makes an immensely attractive, satisfying watch. I doubt you'll regret it if you were to buy it.

hrobi likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 6, 2016

Personally I think the Seiko is a completely different price and quality proposition. Still a fantastic watch but not of the caliber of JLC.

hrobi and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. meganfox17 Oct 12, 2016

Hi @hrobi[emoji137]

Plan a trip to Malaysia coz it's cheaper here in the Swiss Watch Gallery ( SWG ) since the Ringgit is weak against the greenback & the fall in Oil prices. The Immigration Officers are seriously quite lenient with foreign tourists coz it's Visit Malaysia Yr( every Yr) with the Tourism industry the 6th largest contributor to the economy / GDP

Hey [emoji3] i know this one[​IMG]
    That costs ~US 6200

The other JLC is[emoji41] Paul Walker's Deep Sea Diver the alternative to Moonwatch & retails for~ US7400[​IMG]

Edited Oct 12, 2016
  12. Scepticalist Oct 12, 2016

One thing to bear in mind is service costs. It'll run you a bit more than a Rolex.

zrleopold likes this.
  13. zrleopold Oct 12, 2016

How much are JLC service costs generally?

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 12, 2016

I don't see them as any more expensive than Rolex.

15. Scepticalist Oct 13, 2016

Roughly £650 for a basic movement - the chrono will probably run to £800. I suppose yes, when you look at Daytona servicing it's a little more but not that different.

Edited Oct 13, 2016
  16. jfwoodman Oct 15, 2016

I like the JLC. I'm much prefer vintage pieces, but I think JLC is making some really good looking watches. Classic looks.

17. peire06 Oct 21, 2016

My take is the following: with JLC, you can't go wrong!

Larry S likes this.