Forums Latest Members

JLC Futurematic P 837 Movement 1 Of 500 "Timepiece Homicide"

1. watchthirst Apr 29, 2016

A couple of years ago I had witnessed what I call a "timepiece homicide".

A client of mine had proudly worn a JLC futurematic for years. He wasn't much of a watch enthusiast, nor did he really know what was so special about what was on his wrist, but he wore his watch proudly because it was gold, and all his life a gold watch was what he wanted.

On one very sad day, my client had committed a "timepiece homicide". He was short of some cash, and removed the movement and parts from his futurematic and sold the gold case for its value. I was devastated, and he left the movement and parts with me as a gift.

Initially I intended to find the original case for this movement and restore the watch, however I lost interest and earlier this week decided it is time to sell it. After conducting some research I have discovered that this very movement I was gifted is the super rare JLC P 837 movement that is 1 of 500, along with its original dial and hands.

After such discovery I'm puzzled as to what it's true value really is. I have listed it for sale on the bay but am not sure if I'm asking too much or too little at about $2500 USD. I heard the complete watch sold for $7,500 Euro's within the past year in France.

What would you do? Seek the original case for restoration, or sell and invest in another timepiece?

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 29, 2016

Man, that is a crying shame! This is the only time that I have actually seen a cal. 837 movement. I own an 817 LeCoultre porthole model for the US market.

I think you'll have a very hard time finding a buyer for the dial and movement at the $2,500 level, even given its rarity. Understand that the only parts that are unique to this movement are the black porthole disk, the rotor and main plate. None of which are items that are often replaced. Almost all the other parts are common to the cals. 497, 817 and 827.

So I don't see any great demand for the parts other than the normal hard-to-get items like the hacking lever and setting gears.

My suggestion is to see if you can list it for sale over at the PuristS site for JLC:

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf&q=forum&fi=2&ti=&pi=

I don't know their policy on new member sale listing over there, but there are several huge JLC collectors there and if anyone would know the best way to dispose of this, they would.
    gatorcpa

watchthirst and SpikiSpikester like this.
  3. watchthirst Apr 30, 2016

Thank you Gator. That was very informing.

4. NT931 May 1, 2016

Oh man! Those porthole Futurematics aren't that common, what a shame it's gone by now.

I loved the typeface of ''Futurematic" in those models, the typeface was just so super cool.

5. rolokr Mar 23, 2017

Next to impossible to find the right case in steel or gold. Gold filled cases for this movement are less desirable, I have one in steel with the 817 !

6. swissdonald Jun 23, 2023

Hello. Sorry for digging up this thread after so much time.
    At least the dial is not original to the 837 movement. The original dial for the p837 had small radium dots which where light emitting at night.
    But now that I digged up this thread: What did you do with the parts? Sell them? And at what price? Or do you still have them?