Forums Latest Members

JLC Authorized Service Centers?

1. Interstellar Nov 28, 2017

Hi guys,

Is there any STS UK equivalent for JLC watches?

I read a lot of horror stories/bad experiences from people who have sent their watches to JLC Boutiques to be sent to JLC service centers so trying to avoid sending there if possible.

What about access to original parts? That is also a concern of mine. Watch I have for service is a JLC Reverso Gran Sport Duo. If anyone has any JLC service experiences or can recommend a place with access to original JLC parts, please share as well.

Thanks

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 28, 2017

People sometimes complain about the spare parts policies of various Swatch group brands, but Richemont takes their restrictions much further than say Omega does. Richemont simply don't sell parts to independent watchmakers, so your service options are far more limited.

I've repaired watches that have been messed up by our local Richemont service center, so I understand your concern, but I don't know that there is a good answer...

Cheers, Al

Interstellar likes this.
  3. Interstellar Nov 28, 2017

Thanks Al. That's the thing, it ties back to Richemont Service center complaints i've read online, hence my apprehension on sending the watch there.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 28, 2017

Unfortunately the service center is unavoidable. Also had a bad experience with my MB Timewalker. My JLC ‘s will need to go in eventually.

Interstellar likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

As a JLC owner myself, I won't be able to get parts to service my own watch...that's like a mechanic not being able to perform basic service on his own car. Frustrating and it doesn't sit well with me clearly - that's one reason I have one JLC instead of two that I used to own.

But when I send mine in, I will be asking specifically for it to go back to Switzerland, because I don't want the goofballs at the local service center who could not properly service an ETA 6497 (the most common movement used for teaching in watchmaking schools!) in a Panerai or a basic 2892 in an IWC. Maybe you can do the same when you send yours in, and ask specifically for it to be sent to Switzerland rather than being done at a local service center. I figure the odds are better of a good job if the work is done closer to the factory...

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers, Al

watch3s likes this.
  6. watch3s Nov 29, 2017

Also as a JLC owner, I have concerns, does that cost extra? to have it sent to Switzerland I mean. If it would it is going to bring my desire for a another reverso way down in the future.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 29, 2017

I'm not sure if you are based in the UK, but STS has a division called Swisstec that appears to service a wide range of makes. I don't know if they will touch your JLC, but it couldn't hurt to ask

FourthWheel likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

Having no idea where you are located and what Richemont's policies are with regards to this question in your country, I can't answer your question. Here, in Canada, the answer is no.

Ask them if they can get parts - that's the key issue.

9. Interstellar Nov 29, 2017

Hmm, good idea. Thanks guys. Might consider that.

10. watch3s Nov 29, 2017

oop sorry about that, nyc for me. looks like we actually have a boutique here, thought i was stuck with tourneau and wempe

11. bigdubnick Dec 20, 2017

I sent my Reverso through the NYC boutique and the JLC team in Switzerland did a great job...wasn't quick but I have come to understand that high quality and speed are opposing forces in watch repair.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2017

Did you need to insist on Swiss work vs Dallas? Good to know.

13. bigdubnick Dec 20, 2017

I didn’t specify but did ask where it would be sent.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2017

Mine are not yet at the age where they need servicing but I don’t want them going to Dallas. Perhaps the policy has changed. Thanks.

bigdubnick likes this.
  15. Interstellar Dec 22, 2017

How long did it take from the day you dropped it off till the time you collected it back?

16. bigdubnick Dec 22, 2017

Took a total of 7 months.

17. sjg22 Dec 22, 2017

7 months?? Wow.... as a JLC owner this thread is giving me some pause.

Taddyangle likes this.
  18. bigdubnick Dec 22, 2017

It does seem a bit ridiculous but I've had a vintage piece take over a year in an independent shop. I tend not to get upset - just gives me plenty more time with other watches :)

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 22, 2017

Not surprised ... servicing a Reverso has to be a tricky thing. I’d rather the factory do it. I don’t however think service on my master moon should take that long.

bigdubnick likes this.