Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo May 9, 2015

Let me start with, yes, this minor research of mine turned into a much more comprehensive and time-consuming project than I ever intended. Like many of you, I’ve been enamored with the silver presentation boxes (called “caskets” by Omega) offered with watches in the Centenary, Constellation De Luxe, and Constellation Grand Luxe product lines. Everyone can agree on the models, but the question and discussion has centered around the application of each box variation. What box is correct for a Centenary? A De Luxe? A Grand Luxe? And when? I thought I’d try to find out. For those new to the discussion, this thread will help get you up to speed:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/boxing-match-at-work-today.6161/

To start, here is a quick summary of each box produced by Jezler (note that other silver boxes have surfaced but appear to be from other manufacturers. My focus is on the Jezler models, the most common and well known):

1) Smooth Box – Box measurement is cm 15.5 x 8.5 x 3.2. Box is smooth on all sides with a raised Omega logo. The silver content is 0.800. A complete set shows that the outer white box is clearly marked “Centenary”. The felt used for the insert is greenish brown. Unlike the other presentation boxes, the Centenary silver box was included with purchase.
    image.jpg
    2) Smooth Box Textured Lid (or Engine Turned Lid) – Box measurement is cm 15.5 x 8.5 x3.2. Box is smooth on all sides with only a textured top. The Omega logo is raised. The silver content is 0.925. The felt for the insert changes to the more traditional Omega red and continues through the other variations.

image.jpg

3). Textured Box – Box measurement is cm 15.5 x 8.5 x3.2. Box is textured on all four sides with a recessed Omega logo. The silver content is 0.925.

image.jpg

4) Square Box – Box measurement is a little bigger at cm 13 x 10 x 4.5. Smooth on three sides but with textured lid. Omega symbol is raised. Silver content is 0.925. Note that there is a lip on the lid of the box which is not seen in the other variations. This lip is important as a distinguishing mark when reviewing advertisements from the era.

image.jpg

For ease of discussion, boxes 1 through 3 can be considered the rectangular box and box 4 is the square box.

Let’s start with number 1, the Smooth Box. I feel safe in concluding that this box is specific to the Centenary model. Complete sets of the Centenary model exist which include the Smooth Box. This ad seems pretty clear in showing the Smooth Box paired with a Centenary.

image.jpg

And by process of elimination, I have not come across any advertisements or catalogs showing a Smooth Box with a Constellation. Most people have reached a similar conclusion: Smooth Box = Centenary. Early Centenary watches included a wooden presentation box so this dates the Smooth Box to around 1948-1949.

Here is a picture and an advertisement. Note the greenish brown felt.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

This brings us to box number two, Smooth Box – Textured Lid. I believe this box was introduced in late 1952, early 1953 with the launch of the gold Constellation De Luxe and Constellation Grand Luxe models. This ad from 1953 has been passed around before and deemed inconclusive but look closely.

image.jpg
    The laws of science are violated but there is a reflection of the lid in the advertisement. The lid is clearly textured. I think this was deliberately added by Omega to highlight the engine turned lid, a feature they call out specifically in catalog listings. And look at the reflection of the felt on the inner lid – it’s red. The Smooth Box for the Centenary included greenish brown felt. I think this is our first sighting of the Smooth Box – Textured Lid.

Take a look at this catalog listing from 1957:
    image.jpg

First of all, this listing ends the “Square Box is for the Grand Luxe” argument. We’ve got a De Luxe paired up with a Square Box, number 4 (note the lip). But let’s look at the pricing. A silver casket purchased with the bracelet is 50 francs more than a box with a strap. Why would someone pay 50% more for the same box? Easy, it’s not the same box. The only justification for a higher price is a bigger box (more silver). Since the listing identifies the box as “engine-turned cover” we know the rest. The box for option number one with the bracelet is the larger Square Box and the box for purchase with a strap leads us to box number 2, Smooth Box – Textured Lid.

This understanding provides the key to the whole puzzle, it’s the brick bracelet. The rectangular boxes are intended to be used for watches on a strap. They include a flap and the watch lays flat on the felt. Like this arrangement:

image.jpg

And an ad from 1957:
    image.jpg

A strap, Milanese bracelet, or a flat link bracelet works for this set up but a brick bracelet does not. The brick bracelet requires a different presentation which is solved by the serving tray and mount available in the Square Box. A complete picture of the Square Box set up looks something like this:

image.jpg

And an ad from 1957/1958:
    image.jpg

So what about box number 3, Textured Box? I believe this box was launched with the introduction of the Constellation Calendar De Luxe and Constellation Calendar Grand Luxe line in 1957. I’m not saying the Textured Box was solely for the Constellation Calendar, only that it was introduced at this time. Like everything else, boxes were mixed and matched based upon what was on hand at time of sale.

Take a look at this ad:

image.jpg

This is clearly a Textured Box. My French is non-existent but I take “entierement guilloche” to mean fully textured. Either way, the picture is clearly box number 3. Note that we have a strap paired with a rectangular box. The model number (OT 2954) is shown helping us date this box to 1957-1958.

Now, review this listing.
    image.jpg
    It’s the same Textured Box attributed to a Grand Luxe. Interesting that Omega has promoted the possibility of tossing the insert and using the box for cigarettes. No wonder all of the inserts are long gone.

And to complete the circle, here is a 1959 German ad showing a Grand Luxe paired up with the Square Box.
    image.jpg
    We see a similar price difference in the box offered for a bracelet on a strap.

With the exception of the Smooth Box, all variations of the Omega Jezler silver boxes have been linked to the Constellation De Luxe and the Constellation Grand Luxe. I believe no differentiation was ever made for the product lines, the separation comes down to the brick bracelet. Further, I think it's relevant that the outer box includes a generic “Constellation” description. Which is seen here:

image.jpg
    This is due to the shared use among the high-end Constellations. The Centenary outer box is clearly stamped “Centenary”.

image.jpg

Finally, out “in the wild”, the Square Box is less common which is consistent with its extra cost at time of purchase and the brick bracelet prerequisite.

To summarize:
    1). Smooth Box (1948-1949) the oldest and associated with the Centenary only.
    2) Smooth Box – Textured Lid (1953-1957) introduced at time of the gold Constellation De Luxe and Constellation Grand Luxe model launch.
    3). Textured Box (1958-1960) introduced with the Constellation Calendar De Luxe and Constellation Grand Luxe launch.
    4). Square Box (1953 – 1960) introduced with the brick bracelet and unchanged through the Constellation Calendar De Luxe and Constellation Grand Luxe model launch.

It’s hard to say how many boxes were produced and sold. I don't see a ton of these boxes up for sale. Many if not most sold boxes were commandeered for other purposes over time and have trickled out of circulation. Given their silver content, they could easily be melted down for resale. The boxes tarnish and scratch easily detracting from their beauty. And they were expensive at the time. The Centenary was marketed and sold to appeal to a collector, the Constellation DeLuxe and Constellation Grand Luxe seemed to be pushed to the successful man who “sought perfection” as the Omega ads read. Maybe a presentation box didn’t appeal to consumers at the time and sales were low. Maybe not all sales channels had the boxes available. Think of your own experience. If you purchase a Speedmaster from an Omega AD today, what do you do with the box? Is it often used? Would you pay extra for your Speedmaster box? I definitely don’t know all the answers but these little silver caskets speak to me for some reason.

I expect someone will step up and shoot holes in my dates and findings which I encourage. My hope is to put together the puzzle and project the intended use and timing of these boxes. I have no doubt that a paying customer could have purchased a Square Box for their Seamaster if desired. Exceptions will exist but I’ve tried to make some sense of what I could find in catalogs and ads. And please do step forward if you have a different variation of an Omega Jezler box. I’d love to see it.

Finally, I’ve stolen photographs and pictures quite liberally from numerous sources. If the mods deem necessary, I can go back and try to add the source but it became too cumbersome to separate all of the material. But I do have to thank Mr. Desmond Guilfoyle. His blog was a crucial resource. No Omega research could be accomplished without the work Mr. Guilfoyle has already performed. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Zapatta, DrSpock, lindo and 37 others like this.
  2. khmt2 May 9, 2015

Excellent writeup, liked the attention to details and effort to backup your conclusions. :thumbsup:

Any leads on where I could find box 1? :p

3. ock2915 May 10, 2015

Fantastic post:thumbsup:, thanks for sharing your work

4. ConElPueblo May 10, 2015

Fantastic write-up. A reference for future generations :)

5. tamura May 10, 2015

+1

6. Selbo May 19, 2015

Well, my Jezler box summary didn’t last long. I found another box. Took a long time to arrive but I present box number five – Square Textured. I did come across a catalog listing for a Constellation Calendar Grand Luxe describing the square casket as “entierment guilloche”. Maybe this is it. I do believe this came after the square box with textured lid only. Anyway, this is the first I’ve seen of this variety. Seems to be uncommon but it’s missing something. Anyone have a Grand Luxe on brick bracelet I can borrow for the next 40 years? I have a nice home for it...

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Zapatta, Francis8chua, GregH and 10 others like this.
  7. Banner Roar Feb 22, 2016

Nice pictures, what did the internal of Box 3 look like. Is it possible to get replacement internals or get them second hand, tks

8. dragoman Feb 22, 2016

The so called type 2 (textured lid, smooth sides) also came in a golden finish, with a disposable red felt insert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Banner Roar Feb 22, 2016

tks for the images, are the felt inserts hard to come by. I have seen a few boxes but usually are empty. M

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

I missed this post entirely last year.

Here is another box.
    31349-f1ac937bb085cb3a90d9699407a8fcc1.jpg 31347-adfa206b614f13219761c5458002f5a1.jpg 31348-4764dfaf8f4856a0c8f21b4082617d0d.jpg 31350-0cb62f92d0076f175b273a1b47057263.jpg 31351-076dbf4a1ee2e6f1005f59b0ae8dd032.jpg 31352-c189f6a3c86d02c5381a4bbaa00459da.jpg 31353-03c1345dd69b0b484249f94d7b7b5e93.jpg 31354-f2521e39ad31c05e02588cf344ea000f.jpg

lennylee, GregH, Toishome and 5 others like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

More of a Type 4

659384102_o.jpg 659384106_o.jpg 659384110_o.jpg 659384113_o.jpg

GregH, Toishome, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

GregH, Toishome, omegastar and 2 others like this.
  13. Banner Roar Feb 22, 2016

I like the patterned versions likely stamped. In addition, I also collect silver so these are a perfect storm for me.

14. dragoman Feb 22, 2016

Toishome likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

16. Banner Roar Feb 22, 2016

No hablo espanol mi amigo. Donde esta la version en ingles

17. cristos71 Feb 22, 2016

18. cristos71 Feb 22, 2016

Here's mine for a 2853

72653-d7a70f8b754113a570c8993a0bd703a0.jpg

I have another one where I created my own insert with card and velvet. It's not perfect but my Centenary hasn't complained yet....pictures to follow :)

GregH, Toishome, ConElPueblo and 5 others like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2016

Yes did the same for mine and Dennis' Centenary (set free) as well.
    unnamed.jpg

20. omegastar Feb 22, 2016

I can't believe my eyes !
    You got them all.
    Could you, please, post some pics in "Lets make the ultimate Omega box thread !" thread so that one day it becomes exhaustive and complete. I have already pmed @Selbo about it, but now there are to many of you owning a Jetzler silver box. I am freaking out.
    Thank you for this wonderful thread.

ahartfie likes this.