Forums Latest Members

Jeweler Finds: Meister Constellation Deluxe and Rolex GMT Master Faded Pepsi

1. AJDay Apr 17, 2018

So I'm on a business trip and, as always when traveling, I stopped by a local jeweler to see if there's anything good.

I immediately notice a Solid 18k Constellation Deluxe in his case; I look closer and see it's marked Meister on the dial (which looks good to me). The back isn't too badly worn, you can see a little bit of the cross-hash behind the stars in person. Some polish and some damage on the back of one lug. The crown looks to be gold plate and has worn down to the base metal. I ask him about it and he says it's on consignment from a woman who recently lost her husband, who was a local insurance executive. He then mentions he also has the solid gold brick bracelet but it needs repairs.

He casually mentions that there's also a Rolex of hers, which her husband wore every day from new, but it's in "rough shape and needs parts replaced, like the bezel", so I asked to see that as well. He brings out a GMT Master with matte dial and very faded Pepsi bezel. I emphatically told him not to replace any parts!

I ultimately made an offer on both, which I thought was fair based on my limited knowledge, but the owner held firm on the Connie and wasn't willing to give a price on the Rolex because she wanted to do more research; can you advise what a reasonable price is for each? It's very safe to assume they both need mechanical service, but they both seem to be very honest watches. If they're out of my price range, I at least want to give him a good idea of value (he was an awesome guy and going strong at 98!!)

It was hard to get good pictures on my phone, and he didn't want to take the case-backs off unless we agreed on a price.

IMG_7294.JPG IMG_7295.JPG IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7301.JPG IMG_7300.JPG IMG_7299.JPG

JohnSteed, Etp095, wwhntr and 3 others like this.
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 17, 2018

The Rolex GMT is probably worth $25k+...I haven't been following prices too closely but that is a very nice gilt 1675 with a closed chapter ring and pcgs.

JimJupiter, wwhntr, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  3. AJDay Apr 17, 2018

Okay, my offer was not fair...

Thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the Connie?

4. BenBagbag Apr 17, 2018

Top right lug in the picture of the back of the Connie looks warped. Was it gouged? Just my eyes?

5. AJDay Apr 17, 2018

I didn't notice it in person and can't go back until possibly tomorrow at lunchtime, but I would assume the picture isn't misleading and there is a gouge. The front looked okay structurally.

6. BenBagbag Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, which is why I'm wondering if my eyes are playing tricks. But especially with gold - damage = a precipitous drop in value. Who wants a knackered up gold watch?

7. AJDay Apr 17, 2018

True, I'll try to stop by tomorrow and get a closer look. I really have no gauge; I seem to remember a similar watch without the bracelet sell for $3k, but not sure on condition. Not sure how much the (broken) bracelet may add)

8. sjg22 Apr 17, 2018

What did you offer on the Rolex?

Very nice patinated dial. This is a valuable watch.

9. 77deluxe Apr 17, 2018

Great bezel fade. Crown guards look crisp.

10. AJDay Apr 17, 2018

I’m embarrassed to say... I don’t know Rolex’s well and just looked up some recent GMT sales and went on the lower end, since my confidence was low... I don’t know if I can afford to pay a reasonable price. If not, I’ll likely be posting the jewelers info here and on the Rolex forum. He was a very nice man and spoke fondly of the widow, so I want to do right by him.

Etp095 and dxholdren like this.
  11. omegastar Apr 18, 2018

marco, Seacow, frederico and 3 others like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 18, 2018

A similar Rolex was on Antiques Roadshow recently.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...ffany-co-gmt-master-rolex-ca-1963--201703A22/

There are many subtle differences with these watches that could mean tens of thousands in value.

Assuming the bezel is original (I have no clue one way or another), that single piece might cost a few grand to replace. Collectors want original parts with these watches.

The Constellation is a beautiful watch with a lot of gold content. Fixing the bracelet will be a fairly expensive proposition. Case has been heavily polished. I’d say it’s worth the gold weight, which I’d estimate at 50% of weight of the watch head, plus 80% of the bracelet (pins that are holding what’s left of the bracelet are not gold) and add $500 to $700 for the movement. I think you’d wind up in the $4,000 range.

A new Omega crown for this watch can be purchased. It would look much better.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Dr No, watchyouwant and Pun like this.
  13. bazderome Apr 18, 2018

The GMT master is pretty amazing... I would be you I would focus on this one

marco likes this.
  14. AJDay Apr 18, 2018

Thanks everyone, I’m going to see if I can make a better offer, but be transparent about value...

bazderome likes this.
  15. t_swiss_t Apr 18, 2018

Totally different watch than the ones from Antiques Roadshow. This is a chapter ring but not a Tiffany nor an underline. The exclamation doesn't actually make too much of a difference in value as a good number of the CR's have these and it's somewhat of a personal preference. Bezel is original (faded but period correct), as are the hands, dial looks to be in good condition but is totally dependent on the condition of the lacquer. Hard to know about the case give the pictures. I agree with the value assessment of over 25k but a lot is dependent on seeing better pictures. The bracelet may need some work though.

Check my site for more specifics on 1675 parts and dials. Hope it helps. www.gmtmaster1675.com

Andrew

16. ostneb Apr 18, 2018

Wow just watching this unfold is awesome

AveConscientia likes this.
  17. mbeast Apr 18, 2018

That GMT looks truly exceptional. I'd say it's a $30k watch at least.

18. bazderome Apr 18, 2018

Pretty amazing website ! Good job. And I love your 105.003-65 btw

19. AJDay Apr 18, 2018

Thanks everyone for your input. I gave the jeweler all of the information I got from here and the Rolex forum. I made an offer that I felt was fair but limited somewhat by my budget, but then told him that he could definitely get more and I would help facilitate sharing his contact information with Rolex collectors online. He consulted with the consignor and gave me a call a little while later - she thought the watch was practically worthless because of the condition (she thought the Omega was worth much more) - she was elated that I had done the research and stopped them from replacing parts, and happily accepted my offer. I'm still in a bit of shock, and lucky to have an understanding wife who trusts me. I will take some time to figure out what to do with the watch; I would love to keep it and enjoy it for a while, but then need to find someone who will service it correctly/sympathetically and figure out what to do with the bracelet (is it worth repairing?). Any guidance would be appreciated. What a business trip it's been...

Castle4444, wristpirate, kkt and 41 others like this.
  20. mbeast Apr 18, 2018

Wow. Congratulations! Shows being helpful can go a long way!

If it’s possible to repair it’s definitely worth getting the bracelet sorted. Early bracelets are very desirable and it’s likely original to the watch.