Forums Latest Members

Jean Rousseau Coated Nato strap

1. b-16707 Apr 7, 2017

In case anyone is in the market for these types of straps. I Bought a "light blue" and black version of these straps. Apparently Jean Rousseau sells them, you just have to email them directly as its not on their website. The process was smooth and fast. They are very responsive.

Ill probably be selling off the light blue one because its too similar to the phenomenato nato strap color. Not as "light blue" as JR claims.

I love the look of these coated natos and no one else seems to make anything close. I heard that JR is the oem for omega straps? Quality and build are excellent. I would have expected no less from a company like this especially one chosen by omega to brand their straps and also for a strap this expensive. Strap is leather backed on one side and cloth/nylon material on the other. I like the look of the type of texture used on the cloth which is why I opted for a strap like this. The strap does feel like it needs some break-in time. I had a slight pressure point going on where the single cloth loop was. The overall material combo makes this strap way thicker than a regular nato and adds to the break-in time needed. It also has a nice sliding keeper like the regular omega natos. My watch does sit higher on my wrist than compared to a regular nato. I can see this strap as being very durable and lasting for a long time. It's been my daily strap now on my speedy for a week, not a single fray or hint of wanting to break down.

Really digging the overall look. I wish other manufacturers would do this type of strap.
    [​IMG]

I dont mind where the buckle sits on my straps but I know some like it to sit in the middle of the wrist. Nice branded JR buckle. If you obtain an omega one you can swap this out easily as its only held in by the typical spring bar.
    [​IMG]

Very slight pressure point.
    [​IMG]

The double back area is thick due to the thickness of the strap.
    [​IMG]

sits much higher on the wrist as compared to a regular nato.
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 7, 2017
    Maganator and abrod520 like this.
  2. abrod520 Apr 7, 2017

Jean Rousseau are indeed Omega's supplier for these straps, and they're fantastic. You can custom-order them without the extra keeper flap, to reduce the height on the wrist.

Photos of the light blue?

3. yinzerniner Apr 7, 2017

Yup, they are the OEM manufacturer for a lot of the Omega straps, and do all sorts of custom orders. But just to note - if you order a "Zulu" style of the coated nato, in which the pass-through flap is deleted, it actually will be $30 more than their regular coated natos since it's a custom order. You're actually better off just DIYing it and cutting off the extra flap.

To the OP @b-16707 - unfortunate that the pressure point happens because of your smaller wrists, but what could also alleviate it is if you move the watch head further down the strap towards the pressure point, that way the bunching up of material will be nearer the naturals space 5 and 7 lugs.

Extraneous pic of my custom "Zulu" Jean Rousseau nato on the LLD -
    33856649066_f294f92c56_z.jpg

Freeman, Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  4. b-16707 Apr 7, 2017

Ill post some pics of the blue one compared to the PN nato sometime later.

@abrod520 darn didnt know you can customize their offerings!

@yinzerniner what does that zulu you have look like on the underside?

5. b-16707 Apr 7, 2017

Blue comparison:

JR makes a really nice blue. I almost prefer it over the PN but alas its still too similar to justify keeping it. Wishing it was an even lighter type of blue.

Also, the leather on the back of the blue vs the leather on the back of the black are different. The blue has a smooth look while the black has a more croc-look. Both are pretty smooth to the touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. yinzerniner Apr 7, 2017

No problem. For the back of the Zulu I opted for the, as you said, "croc" looking leather. I actually chose it as the smoother leather, while more padded and spongy, is also a bit thicker overall and I wanted the strap to be as thin as possible but with both leather liner and coated nylon exterior. Time will tell if going for thinness over comfort was the wise choice, but in the 18 months or so I've owned the strap it's none the worse for wear.

File Apr 07, 7 33 25 PM.jpeg

Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  7. b-16707 Apr 7, 2017

Looks pretty neat. If only I had known! JR should really put these up on their site lol.

8. timjohn Apr 7, 2017

Love the blue. What do they charge for these?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 7, 2017

I wouldn't call that a Zulu... Zulu is normally defined by the hardware with the larger rings and double ring for the keeper in the case of 5 rings, and normally comes in 3 or 5 ring versions. I'd call that a 3 ring NATO. NATO have cloth or smaller keepers and come in 3 or 4 ring variants.

3 ring NATO/Zulu do not have the keeper strap.

image.jpg
    NATO
    3 ring Zulu
    4 ring Zulu
    5 ring Zulu

10. ac921ol Apr 10, 2017

This what do they usually go for? What's the range.

11. Poppydog Apr 11, 2017

So you emailed them to order this online? Are you in the UK?

12. mikesspeedy Apr 21, 2017

I just ordered an Omega NATO Rio blue. its on a 3 week back order. I am kinda trusting it will look the part with a blue Seamaster. I just cant get over how cheep this strap is. £125 and I will have an official Omega strap for my seamaster. As it is a couple of £K to purchase a used watch 3k for new, its seems a drop in the ocean (pun intended) for a second strap. I plan to wear this strap on informal use of the watch. I would think if I'm going to dive in it I would put the stainless strap on. I also have a new Speedy which came with a Stainless strap, black/chrome NATO and VELCRO, its this NATO that sold me so soft to wear, looks so classy compared to other NATOs I`ve seen. the Black NATO is so nice I am thinking it may save me getting the alligator strap for formal wear.

13. Df13 May 11, 2017

Three ring NATOs are generally referred to as RAF straps.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. ketturepolainen Jul 14, 2017

Have you got any photos about the strap? Where did you order it from? Omega or JR?

15. mikesspeedy Jul 14, 2017

Omega seamaster on rio buckle.JPG omega close up on rio.JPG I got it from my local OB it was in their Omega catalogue its a commemorative strap for the Rio Olympics. as an add to other Omega NATOs it has the white lines running the length, these are to show the 8 track lanes and these are numbered on the polished stainless band. Nice Omega logo on the buckle too. View attachment 415546 View attachment 415547 View attachment 415548

Edited Jul 15, 2017
    ketturepolainen likes this.
  16. ketturepolainen Jul 15, 2017

I have got one of those too but unfortunately the blue of the strap end the blue of the watch don't match. It's very hard to find the right blue which fits to SMP. But I really like the Omega leather NATO as well and of course the PhenomeNATO straps (blue and grey).

WP_20161107_001.jpg 17124901_10212229780889648_565665390_n.jpg 18110612_10212736301392344_168729741_n.jpg
  17. mikesspeedy Jul 15, 2017

I know what your saying, I was kinda hoping that when the NATO gets dirty and or faded (after a few dips in the ocean that it will get between now and October) that it may just settle in. Like you I have tried a black and it didn't work, the brown leather Ok I get that, but it looks like I want the new SMP 300 retro ...which I deffo do....so I'm going to give the RIO this full summer season to see if I can get it to look lived in. I will post phots later in Oct to see if I have had any luck. I'm even Thinking of leaving it in a huge vat of seawater I test my outboard motors in, but that is all oily and stuff so I'm holding out for a natural worn look. LOL

18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 15, 2017

Aha, I've seen a few pics of these and couldn't for the life of me think what those numbers were all about. All makes perfect sense now, quite fun too, thank you.

19. mikesspeedy Jul 15, 2017

The RIO NATO has a strap that is a bit rougher than the seatbelt quality of the black and polished stainless Omega NATO but its still comfortable. Its quite a thick strap so much so the it is not very pliable again I am hoping that it will soften a little as it ages. It reminds me of a crane Lifting strop, thinner and not so wide but the same kind of thing and equally as strong. This strap will survive anything. I do enjoy it though.

Its the same with the omega things I own the Speedy Pro I alternate between the Omega black & polished stainless NATO, the Stainless steel bracelet the NASA Velcro and the black leather strap, One watch 4 different looks, 3 different uses, NATO = casual meal out, Stainless every day winter wear Velcro allows me to wear out side of coat in winter when I'm working in the forest and I did wear it the other day double wrapped on my wrist at an air show...got quite a few comments of approval. then the black leather for more formal meals.

I do have my eye on either a Seamaster 300 retro 57 or the planet ocean to replace my aging SMP pictured above. But that's a year or two away yet.

20. blubarb Jul 15, 2017

I do like NATO style straps, but don't you worry about them polishing out your case back?