Forums Latest Members

JE: s watch chronicle 2015

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 24, 2015

JE: s watch chronicle 2015

It is the third year in a row for my annual watch chronicle here on OF.

For those who want the big picture here are the earlier ones:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/je-s-watch-chronicle-2014-update.19903/#post-215718

https://omegaforums.net/threads/je-s-watch-chronicle-2013.8907/

And for those who understand Swedish or just want to look at the pictures and guess what I was writing in 2012:

http://www.timetotalk.se/post13196.html?hilit

This year I got a new and challenging job as MD/CEO in my line of work. This had me moving to new town and that is an interesting experience after 50 years in Stockholm. Then I got sick with a mysterious illness that bothered me a bit but now it is under control. The doctors say I am allergic – they just do not know to what - yet. During this autumn my very old and much beloved father got really ill and just some time ago he passed away. He had a wonderful life and was the perfect father – loved by us all, family and friends. An all round good guy and we miss him a lot.

The above events have, of course, occupied my mind to a large extent. What I wrote last year is still true and maybe even more this year – the watch hobby has been there all the time to help me get my mind off the more serious things in life and it has helped me to relax and restore batteries.

The watch year 2015 kicked off in January as I was awarded an internet byline for the first time ever. I believe it was a result of these two threads;

https://omegaforums.net/threads/australia-day.20943/#post-227434

https://omegaforums.net/threads/freeee-free-at-last.20658/

- together with a comment in another thread where I think I “killed” a thread by commenting somewhat bluntly...

First blood watch-wise was a “new” Seamaster 300. Put together from new parts, except from the movement, assembled by a good watch-friend of mine. I had tried to get one for a while and he took pity on me and sold me this one. I am grateful. This is a very nice user friendly “vintage” diver. I have had it pressure tested and I use it for what it was intended originally. Well... not really diving with it but snorkelling and such. It came on a NATO strap but soon I switched to a replica Tropic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second watch was bought in the beginning of March. A well worn Eterna-matic KonTiki Super. Bought from its original owner. He had used in his work as a Swedish navy officer and later in his own diving/boat service business. Really glad I got hold of this one. It is still waiting for a service and a new crystal. It will also get some new lume material for the hands - in a colour more fitting to its age and the overall condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third watch that came in this year, also in March, was a very special Universal Polarouter De Luxe. I had been on the hunt for a long time, given up a lot of times, and/but when it came to me it was by a total coincidence. I just happened to meet a guy wearing it and immediately started to harass him to sell it. In the end we settled for a trade. He was not a collector of watches – he just thought it to be a nice watch. He got my Rolex Datejust 16013 instead and we were both happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trade

[​IMG]

March was extra rewarding as this one came in the last days of that month. It was up at auction and looked a mess with a lot of dirt, paint stains and corroded hands. It turned out really well after some care from my watchmaker and me. This watch has become a favourite and I use it often. A Seamaster Calendar, ref 2627. Somewhat unusual as there is no lume at all – not at indexes or on hands.

First picture is from the auction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In March I got the Enicar Sherpa OPS home from a well deserved service. I originally intended getting a Tropic strap for it but when I found this black mesh that was soon forgotten.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As one of my wishes for 2015 (see last year’s chronicle) was to find a steel Constellation 168.005 donor watch for my NOS black dial it was a happy event when I finally got hold of one in May. It has just the right amount of patina to be a guilt free project watch. I was hoping to be able to present the finished project here and now but it is still at my watchmaker. I will get it in early January.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In June I passed a milestone by posting my post number 1000 here on OF and I wrote a rambling tribute to this place and its founders and moderators. https://omegaforums.net/threads/post-number-1000.26877/#post-298679

July came and with that another donor watch. I have had some struggle with a ref 2577 Seamaster Chronometre since 2013. A wonderful watch with a very nice dial and a pristine movement but with a case that just did not match. Found a suitable donor at auction. Not in any way perfect but matching the rest. More about the finished project later.

Donor

[​IMG]

In September I went on a divers watch buying spree… I just could not help myself when a good watch buddy wanted to lighten his divers watch collection. I just wanted them all… in this bunch there are some really unusual watches and some of them might not be to everyone’s taste – but they are hard core diving equipment, with the exception of the Lemania Regatta which of course is more of a sailors watch.

Jenny – one of the earliest 1000m rated watches

[​IMG]

The French connection

[​IMG]

Some more French connection

[​IMG]

And their wimpy 100m sailor buddy

[​IMG]

Suddenly I realized I was collecting divers watches. The above watches joined this little group - sorry for the really bad picture – but I think you get the picture anyway ;-) And I thought I was a dress-watch guy…

[​IMG]

And now for something completely different. I also have a craving for vintage high quality Japanese watches. And I have a pusher situated in the midst of the eastern heaven for such. I had been in need of a fix for quite a while when he suddenly showed up with this gem in the last days of September. These are relatively difficult to find in good condition and when I got the chance thru him I took it. Mmmmm… Chrono Master chronometer day-date from 1969. It joins my vintage Grand Seiko Special and the Seiko Superior in waiting for the ultimate Seiko VFA to surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

October – oh yes! Zenith De Luca time! I love my Lemania Viggen and I use it frequently. For a long time I have had the notion that an early De Luca would be a nice complement to the Viggen. A pair that I would like to breed and get offspring from. I thought finding an early De Luca, with the plain pushers, plexi crystal and with the non-mercedes hands, here in Sweden would be impossible. It was not. The De Luca and the Viggen are now kept together and I hope to see the result in a short while. Last time I looked they were cuddling – and more… I do not want to disturb them – hence only showing the De Luca here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also in October I got my trusted Flightmaster back from service. As it is of the absolutely first generation, with all yellow chrono pushers, non dot dial, etc. the orders to my watchmaker was to just service the movement and leave everything else be just as it was. It has been serviced many times during its life and it is a wonder the unique parts are still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last days of October also saw the Seamaster 2577 project watch (mentioned above) finished. At last I had the dial and movement mated to the donor case. This is a really nice watch and I use it as much as I can. I do like chronometers and this chronometre is no exception…

[​IMG]

The above picture is a little cold in the colours – this one is closer to reality. Or maybe the truth is somewhere in between.

[​IMG]

Just a couple of days ago I got this gold cap 168.005 from my watchmaker. He had replaced the crown with a more fitting one. I just could not stand the generic replacement one that we had to fit at an earlier service – not having the proper one at hand. Now I can sleep better…

[​IMG]

That was it. Not the busiest year but still some nice action. Well last year I wrote that my collection had stabilized around 50-55 watches. I, shamelessly, have to admit them now being 65…

Wishes, watch wise, for 2016 – still longing for that first execution Polerouter Sub with a shot dial and bezel – making it affordable – and at last getting use of my NOS dial and bezel.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Edited Dec 25, 2015
  2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 24, 2015

Thanks for sharing. My favourite has got to be the UG. I bet it's going to be an exciting 2016 for you.

3. khmt2 Dec 24, 2015

It's becoming a Xmas tradition, these annual exposes of yours and me looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Take care and looking forward to more of your posts!

Edited Dec 24, 2015
  4. marturx Dec 24, 2015

Great write-up JE! :thumbsup:

Now, let's keep our thumbs that you haven't grown allergic to watches! ::confused2::

Merry Xmas

5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 24, 2015

Thank you @styggpyggeno1 for sharing some details of your year with us! I was saddened to learn of your father's passing, and I do hope you get past your mystery illness as soon as possible. I wish you a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year :)

Garv likes this.
  6. JohnSteed Dec 24, 2015

A year of highs and lows. Still standing triumphantly, still watch-ing :D
    Well done, JE !! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 24, 2015

Intentional pun?

8. Rman Dec 25, 2015

You got a lot of style brother. I lost my father this year too and the timepieces just kept tickin on like they do. Very fragile and dependable.
    Thank you for your words.

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 25, 2015

Nope - and I am a big fan of vintage HAQ watches. But I understand your thinking. ;)

cicindela likes this.
  10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 27, 2015

cicindela and Hijak like this.
  11. alam Dec 27, 2015

great recap and awesome year for you! I'm taking a dibs number on the Enicar! :)