Forums Latest Members
  1. effovex Mar 9, 2016

Hello Guys,

I don't post much, but frequently browse lol.

I know JB champion bracelets on Speedys are a polarizing topic but I had a question to ask some of you who own them.

This bracelet type in particular was not used by NASA, however its price is much lower than the classic one 104988423_nos-34-jb-champion-speedmaster-60s-vintage-watch-band-.jpg !B6-edOQ!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEyVN)tq8oBMy3+-jBOQ~~-1_1.JPG $_35.JPG .
    Also, there seems to be a variation of a mesh inside and one with bars on the inside.

Can anyone comment on these bracelets (pro con, durability, etc.) (Not my photos, found on web)

Also, what do you think about modern speedys on jb champions compared to vintage speedys?

Thanks!

Rui Ornelas, Hans the Wolf and TLIGuy like this.
  2. richardew Mar 9, 2016

I have the NASA JB Champion on one of my 105.012-66s. It is one of my daily watches and I wear it about half the time. I love the strap. It can be adjusted just right without any tools or links to remove. I'm glad I got it when I did. I have 3 of them. Today's prices are ridiculous for what was once an inexpensive band. It looks like all 3 of the ones you posted have the same adjustment and would be just as comfortable. The vintage look is back. The Apple Watch has a 60s looking mesh band option.
    6.24.13_7105.012 story.jpg

3. effovex Mar 9, 2016

Hi richard, thanks for your reply! The 105.012 is a real looker!! Ha, forget about gold, I need a time machine to buy up those bracelets from the '60s!!

4. richardew Mar 9, 2016

The gold ones are "cheap". They are not NASA. I also don't know what watch I would use it with. My plan was to make the gold one stainless steel again. LOL Just took a quick look at ebay and they want crazy money for all of the 19mM ones. $300 for the gold ones! Guess I might not try to un gold plate it. LOL

5. LawBrk Mar 10, 2016

Be forewarned @effovex , with the prices of the mesh climbing every day I am constantly thinking, "they want the price of a nice Connie or Seamaster!?!" ::confused2::

6. effovex Mar 10, 2016

Right, it's difficult to see what was once a 6.95 $ bracelet reach the prices of a nice vintage omega AND a fresh service!

7. jayrock26 Mar 10, 2016

what version was famous for being worn on premoons? (astronauts wrists)

8. LawBrk Mar 10, 2016

9. effovex Mar 10, 2016

gminnj likes this.
  10. gminnj Mar 28, 2016

After months of looking for the 'real' NASA-style Champion, I caved in and picked up an NOS JB-7 version on eBay for not a lot of money.

Would still love to have the true NASA version someday, but I think this looks pretty nice on my Ed White. Thanks to the great people here, there were some good threads about how to size it.

Very comfortable, and with summer coming, will be much cooler than my suede GLC. What do folks think of it?

image.jpeg
  11. effovex Mar 28, 2016

Looks nice gminnj! The 19mm end link size is a perfect fit! Your bracelet has the mesh inside right? Also, how polished is the outer bracelet?

gminnj likes this.
  12. LawBrk Mar 28, 2016

Dibs on Uncle Ed should he every get too grumpy at your house!

gminnj likes this.
  13. gminnj Mar 28, 2016

Thanks, guys, I'm pretty happy with it. Yes, effovex, as in the pic below, it has mesh inside and the outer bracelet is fairly polished (but then again, so is my watch - try to find one these days that isn't...).

Don't see any reason not to share the auction where I won it. Came in original packaging, and seller shipped quickly, so no regrets.
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231887094623Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks for the comments. LawBrk, I was lucky enough to get the watch last summer, before the market really went nuts, so I'm going to hang on to it...

image.jpeg
  14. milwatch126 Mar 29, 2016

Very cool watch and very cool bracelets. I guess this won't be the normal flow on the forum but I think the curved end JB models just don't look cool and the straight version just looks better IMO.The straight end version just don't pretend not to fit they don't.
    But I also guess it's the famous Buzz photograph that makes the curve versions so desired and not their looks.
    Get them now (JB 19mm) as they are only going one way, all versions.

M

gminnj likes this.
  15. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2016

I use mine on the FOIS.

Speedy.jpg IMG_6147.jpg
  16. TLIGuy Mar 30, 2016

Nice addition to your Ed White. While not the popular NASA style this one is a close second from the other JB Champion selections out there. This style JB does have a bit of astronaut provenance however albeit via Hollywood.

Here is a lousy screenshot but if you watch the Right Stuff you will see Denis Quaid rocking this style bracelet on his Speedmaster.

RightStuff_Quaid2.jpg

smitty190373 and gminnj like this.
  17. gminnj Mar 30, 2016

Thanks, one of my favorite movies. Saw it in the theatre as a kid - remember it was so long, there was an intermission.

Haven't seen it for a few years, but would love to watch it again to see if the astronauts are all wearing Speedys...

18. vintagestuff Feb 7, 2018

C2249147-33FE-4F1E-823F-81E5DA845713.jpeg I didn’t want to start a new thread for this but am wondering if anyone has found a way to make these 16 mm ends work on a 19 or 20 mm lug. I have a few of the correct versions, and most of you know they expand to 19 ish. I got these two cheap years ago and set about trying to make them work, but it was tougher than I’d expected. Anyone?

Edited Feb 7, 2018
  19. vintagestuff Feb 7, 2018

Sorry. I thought for sure I had inserted a photo. There they are. I think photos are just loading slowly. Disregard this one.

20. effovex Feb 7, 2018

Yeah I found an older 16mm Forstner Komfit. In my box of watch parts I had some c shaped spring bar covers that, in effect, were able to snap on the 16mm end. The spring bar covers are 20mm so it fits modern speedys. Overall, I don’t really like the aesthetic, hence I would want to buy a cheap expandable jb champion that does have expanding ends and swap the ends.

B50F7614-BE67-4E8E-838E-2B6FF0FE65AD.jpeg