Forums Latest Members
  1. wsfarrell Oct 20, 2015

I noticed a JB Champion on eBay where one end link had lost its springiness. Seller said the spring was still there, it just didn't work. I made a low offer and got it.

I first put it through the ultrasonic cleaner, hoping that might fix it. It was the dirtiest band I've ever seen---took four 5-minute cycles to get it clean, the water turning black for the first three. The end link still didn't spring in and out.

So, throwing caution to the winds, I pried open the three tabs holding the end piece together (I hate tabs). The spring was there, but one of the loop ends had broken off. I took a trip to Paul's Watch Repair in Sacramento and they gave me a new spring---slightly shorter, but it looked like it might work.

So I took it home, looped the ends of the spring around the tiny prongs, then bent the tabs back into place. Voila! Then I noticed that there were a couple of pointy things sticking out of the sliding part of the clasp. I discovered this was an 18mm spring pin that someone had sharpened and made to fit. I took it out, whereupon it essentially disintegrated, and replaced it with a proper 16mm pin. Voila!

Here's a pic of what's left of the improper spring pin (on the left) and the broken spring (on the right):

jb2.jpg

And here's the money shot of my new JB Champion bracelet on my straight text '69:

jb3.jpg

I love this bracelet!

Edited Jan 6, 2019
    Dash1, KstateSkier, Giff2577 and 10 others like this.
  2. Cortezthekiller Oct 20, 2015

Nice work! I love my JB bracelet. So comfortable.

3. 88cut Oct 20, 2015

I find them really hard to put on. Anyone else have this problem?

kingsrider, Darlinboy and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 20, 2015

Good job! Bravo!

5. wsfarrell Oct 20, 2015

It was weird the first couple of times, but it got easier, and now I feel like an astronaut.

Leftinthelurch likes this.
  6. base615 Oct 21, 2015

They're a bit difficult at first but you get used to it. I love mine.

I know of some people who try to put it on by lifting the flap and adjusting. If you're doing that it's wrong and could explain why you're finding it so hard.

7. Helbert Oct 21, 2015

Hi, did you put a 19mm JB champion on an omega moon watch supposed to have a 20mm end links band? Does that fit well? it does not move? I would love to get one, but I'm asking myself if it fits and looks good. thanks for your reply!

8. base615 Oct 21, 2015

I have mine on a Speedy Pro. It moves a bit as it doesn't perfectly fit the lugs but I don't care, that somehow makes it feel more authentic to me.

Bad photo but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

9. watchlovr Oct 21, 2015

I must be the only one who does not like these, tried a 20mm one on various Speedies, did not like the look or feel, sold it.
    Looks cool on the old photos but I don't even like them on other peoples watches now.
    Too thin too my eyes.

I'll get my coat!

the future and Hijak like this.
  10. Pahawi Oct 21, 2015

Yes it moves, but only 1 mm. Some puts a small O-ring on each side to avoid the play and avoid scratching the lugs..... Here's mine - dont use it much, so no O-rings.....

IMG_1914.JPG

KstateSkier, TLIGuy and fibonacci086 like this.
  11. fibonacci086 Oct 21, 2015

I have a nice JB Champion strap but it is a bit too long for me.
    I could not find how to reduce its size....
    Any help would be very appreciated ! Is it possible to reduce the length ?
    PS thanks Pahawi for the smart O-ring tip

12. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 21, 2015

Way to go!!
    That's how the astronauts wore them.
    And that's all that really matters with these

TLIGuy likes this.
  13. TLIGuy Oct 21, 2015

I had the same issue as well with my 6.75 wrist. If you take a look at the underside of the end pieces you will notice the two little tabs on each side that are folded over the bottom. If you take a small flat blade and pry up the clips the end piece will open. The end piece opens similar to a clam shell and has pointed teeth on each end that grabs into the mesh when it's closed. It's really obvious how it works once the end piece is open. Once the teeth are opened the mesh will unhook and free itself. The mesh is just links folded together. For my wrist, I marked the end of the mesh about 1/2 down from the end and unhooked the row of links and removed the excess length. If I recall, I took 1/2" from one end and 1/4" from the other. Once you remove the excess length simply hook the mesh onto the teeth on the end piece and squeeze it closed then fold the tabs back down and you are good to go with a shorter bracelet.

I know it sounds difficult but I have minimal skills and it took me about 10 minutes to do the job. Just take a good look at he end piece and you will see how it unfolds and opens.

14. fibonacci086 Oct 21, 2015

Thank you so much TLIGuy, it's a perfect match now.
    I will go for the O-rings tomorrow
    champion.jpg

KstateSkier and TLIGuy like this.
  15. wsfarrell Oct 21, 2015

As others have said, there's a little play. I might pick up a couple of those tiny o-rings myself.

16. Cortezthekiller Oct 23, 2015

It's like a mesh Nato, but lighter to wear. As long as you use the spring loaded clasp, it's easy on and off. I think a 7 inch wrist is the smallest without removing links.

17. imaginager Nov 1, 2015

TLIGuy helped me out with this yesterday, and I thought I'd post a pic for anyone else who wants to attempt. Removing the end pieces is pretty simple, but this pic shows how the mesh bracelet comes apart. You have to pry the links up on each side; so you have to flip the bracelet over and do the same thing on the other side. Also, the teeth on the end pieces are aligned to accept the links a certain way. Make sure you check this before choosing where to detach a row of links. I ended up having to remove an extra row (not a big deal) to get the end piece to align correctly.
    Untitled.png

KstateSkier, Dash1 and TLIGuy like this.
  18. TLIGuy Nov 2, 2015

Excellent...and nice picture to share for anyone else that needs to shorten a bracelet.

Another graduate of the TLIGuy Online JB Champion Training Academy:thumbsup:

I now bestow upon you your professional credentials.

Imaginager
    JBMD

Edited Nov 2, 2015
    imaginager likes this.
  19. blubarb Dec 15, 2015

Curious now. I lift the flap and slide the clasp - it's a bit of a to do, but I can't see another way. How do you put yours on?

J

20. TLIGuy Dec 16, 2015

This might help. It really is easy to put on once you get the hang of it.

IMG_8273_zpsdrpyikcu.JPG

IMG_8274_zpskygvzvjn.JPG

IMG_8275_zpsztkpoehb.JPG

ahsposo, Dash1, fibonacci086 and 2 others like this.