Forums Latest Members
  1. ext1 Apr 3, 2019

I have not tried, but I have found that getting the dirt and stuff out makes the spring work to a proficient level. Be prepared for lots of sneezes though.

2. Britinus Apr 3, 2019

Thanks. Decided to leave well alone. The springs aren’t being used on a speedy anyway. Just a little OCD afflicted!

3. TLIGuy Apr 3, 2019

I encountered something similar.

I would wash the end pieces with a mild soap and water solution cleaning with a small toothbrush. Blow out the end pieces and dry with a hair dryer and then let sit over night to fully dry. I dropped in a bit of powdered graphite from each side and blew out the excess. I then pressed the expandable pieces in and out to work the powder in. That cleaned and lubricated the inside enough the allow the end links to fully expand with no issues.

I would avoid any type of liquid lubricant because you are correct it would attract dirt and skin inviting the end pieces to become clogged again.

SpeedyPhill and ext1 like this.
  4. Britinus Apr 3, 2019

Sensible. Thanks.

5. TimtimeIntl Apr 3, 2019

Great posts and pics!

6. Swissmister May 16, 2019

Another common problem with these bands is damaged links/sections. I have had success in removing damaged links if anyone needs some help with that repair. The bands were long enough that in many cases, one could remove a dozen or more sections without making it too short. Generally there are only 1 or 2 damaged links. These must have fit up to a 9 or 10 inch wrist.

7. whyboddau May 21, 2019

This is great info! Thanks so much! Was considering something similar on a forstner komfit mesh. I know it’s not for the purists but can’t argue with the value!

8. omegaman May 21, 2019

Excellent write up! :thumbsup:

9. SurvivingJoe Apr 2, 2020

Great work, looks the end link is adaptable to different lug width?

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 2, 2020

I guess the newer ForstnerBands could be used as a source for spare parts to repair the old ones... or am I wrong ?
    ( just practical, no philosophical reverie if this is the right thing to do )