Forums Latest Members
  1. hanky6 Jun 26, 2018

I just got myself a JB Champion mesh bracelet and I have noticed that almost everyone thinks/believes it is really fragile.
    Its thin and very flexible but feels alright in use, not a lot of use for me so far though.
    I would like to enjoy my watch and bracelet without fear of losing them both, so thats why I ask for real world opinions and experiences from people that had their JB bracelets in actual use, daily or occasionally.
    Astronauts are most welcome with their view on the matter as well.
    EDC335CE-143B-49D2-982C-42EBE9E8A422.jpeg

Davide likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Jun 26, 2018

I'm not sure who thinks that bracelet is fragile. It's a narrow bracelet and can look sort of small on a Speedmaster, but it's quite sturdy.

WhatYourWatchSay, hanky6 and Dan S like this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 26, 2018

I very much enjoy the JB Champion. One of the most comfortable bracelets I have worn, and as far as durability/fragility, I have had no issues and it certainly seems as tough as the 1035 bracelet I also periodically use. Frankly, I just as well sell the 1035 and use the funds to buy the gold bracelet I need for my skeleton.

upload_2018-6-26_18-37-9.png

Davide and hanky6 like this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 27, 2018

Worn one for years, but keep these JB Champion steel bracelets on static display to play save ;)
    Here's an example on a Bulova Accutron " Astronaut " wrist watch as worn on the last Mercury mission (May 1963 - Gordon Cooper) and the first Gemini mission (March 1965 - Gus Grissom)
    JBchampion_Accutron.jpg

Davide and hanky6 like this.
  5. hanky6 Jun 29, 2018

Thank you gentlemen, @Taddyangle, @wsfarrell and @SpeedyPhill, because of your input I feel comfortable wearing my watch with the JB bracelet whenever I wear a watch normally.

6. Reborn Jun 30, 2018

I am just curious why there are quite a few NOS ones in the market. Were they not made long ago?

7. tyrantlizardrex Jun 30, 2018

Jim Regan said that he chose them because they can be broken easily... they didn’t want astronauts getting snagged and s
    At the Speedy Tuesday event in Bienne, Jim Regan mentioned that they were sourced as an "easy to break" option if the astronaut got caught on something.

Could be that's interpreted by some as "will fall apart when you look at them". ::facepalm1::

8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 30, 2018

All good & well, but we know these steel mesh bracelets were only worn on merely half a dozen of spaceflight missions !
    (Gemini 3, Apollo 10, 12, 14, 17, STS-1)

9. hanky6 Jun 30, 2018

I wonder if they were also chosen because they could easily be adjusted for a wide range in size? I have no idea if the astronauts wore the same watch daily during ”normal” life and then had the watch put on the sleeve of their spacesuit.
    Otherwise they had to have two watches or change the strap pre-flight.

10. tyrantlizardrex Jun 30, 2018

The Astronaut office issued watches to Astronauts when they came into rotation/were training for an umpcoming mission from what I understand.

Jim mentioned a few are at the bottom of the keys around cape canaveral after various water skiing incidents. ::facepalm1::

hanky6 likes this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 30, 2018

hanky6 likes this.