Forums Latest Members
  1. nicklashark Jan 29, 2015

I just bought a 60's JB Champion NASA bracelet on ebay for my Speedmaster. According to the seller it is new old stock (NOS) and never used. First of all it does not look unused, there are tiny "scratches" in the metal spread evenly as you would expect on a watch/bracelet that has been used for some time. Although this is annoying, it is not the major problem. When I close the bracelet lock it doesn't attach properly - this allows the lock to slide and thereby making the bracelet looser and looser on the wrist (see the youtube video below).

My question to you guys is; is this due to "wear and tear" or is the lock defect? Do you think a watch mechanic sort this out by making some adjustment to the lock so that it locks propertly on to the mesh band? Or do you think the lock needs to be replaced (if so this is a problem since it's vintage)?

Your help is much appreciated! :)

2. sulaco Jan 29, 2015

i think what you mean is that the part which is used to adjust the length does not sit tight enough on the bracelet, right?
    I had this problem too, but only on worn bracelets.
    If you have a watchmaker at hand he might be able to help, the lid one the part that applies the pressure to bracelet to set tight is worn out or loose.
    It needs to be bend a bit, but very carefully, because its careful or broken.

blubarb likes this.
  3. sulaco Jan 29, 2015

The lid you opened in your video is not for opening and closing the bracelet its just used for length adjustment. You open the bracelet with the tiny sliding button in middle of the clasp, its hooked into the length adjusting part.
    ;)

blubarb, mr_yossarian and Skv like this.
  4. nicklashark Jan 29, 2015

My god that's embarrassing! ::facepalm2:: :)

I'll discuss this with the seller and maybe a local watchmaker.
    Thank you for a swift response!!

5. TLIGuy Jan 29, 2015

REMAIN CALM AND JB ON my friend. It is an easy fix. You don't even need a shot or a glass of beer to get the nerve to fix what is happening. I had the exact same issue and the fix is quick and simple. At first look, the bracelet can be a bit confusing to open. Honestly, it took me three days to figure it out. Once I did, it quickly became my favorite bracelet to wear.

The lockdown hinge on the top of the outer clasp allows the portion of the bracelet that slides back and forth to slide freely to adjust to the wrist size. On the back side there are 4 indentions that dig into the opening in the mesh and keeps the clasp form sliding once the hinge (for lack of a better word) if flipped down. I assume, like mine, that the indentions on the other side have worn down and no longer grip the mesh well allowing it to slide once you set the clasp where you want it. Is this correct?

On the back side of the class you will see the four indentions. Seen below.

IMG_5805.jpg

Take a small steel finishing nail and put it into the indention. With a small hammer gently tap the nail to make the protrusion of the indention larger on the reverse side. Do this for all four. This will allow the clasp to grip the mesh and your issue will be resolved. My only word of caution is to not hit the nail too hard or the clasp will be set where you have it. I suggest 1-2 taps on each indention and then lock the clasp and see if it still slides.

IMG_5806.jpg

I'm pretty sure this should fix your problem.

M'Bob, Damo, gminnj and 3 others like this.
  6. sulaco Jan 29, 2015

Great idea, i did always approach the problem from the other side. ::facepalm1::
    Thanks

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. nicklashark Jan 30, 2015

@TLIGuy Thank you very much - this worked like a charm! :thumbsup:

I also managed to get a substantial part of what I paid back from the seller...

Thanks again

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. TLIGuy Jan 30, 2015

Glad it worked out for you. Now the only thing left is to see a picture of it on your Speedmaster. Enjoy the bracelet.

9. nicklashark Jan 30, 2015

Will post a nice picture of it - sadly it won't be until mid March since it's in the Omega repair shop...

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 23, 2017

Waaw those pictures by @TLIGuy should be used for a Forstner Komfit and/or JB Champion bracelet tutorial ... but with a warning stating "" Not for sensitive viewers " :thumbsup:

11. Stuie Sep 24, 2017

If you thought fixing the clasp was risky then take a look at the tutorial I made last year on how to shorten a JB Champion bracelet ::screwloose::
    Tutorial also gives quite a bit of info about dimensions, suitable wrist sizes etc for those interested in getting one.
    The story goes that NASA chosen them over the Omega bracelet as they would break if snagged (preventing an astronaut from becoming trapped etc), I can only assume the horn end would release from the spring bar as the links on these bracelets are tough little buggers ! :thumbsup:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/diy-how-to-shorten-a-jb-champion-mesh-strap-–-nasa-strap.35682/

Edited Sep 25, 2017
    blubarb likes this.
  12. blubarb Sep 25, 2017

Nope, just about everyone who first gets a JBC falls into this trap - I recall being so embarrassed I nearly gave up my collection. :rolleyes: I bet more than a few Apollo et al astronauts did exactly the same! ;)

13. Jasebird Nov 2, 2019

Thank you guys for putting up these tutorials… Just received my first champion bracelet and couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to make it work LOL… Party on

14. Jasebird Nov 2, 2019

SpeedyPhill likes this.