Forums Latest Members
  1. Omega>Rolex Jan 17, 2017

Hi guys, just bought an Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.0022. I have no doubt as to its authenticity, but do have some questions regarding the hands and/or dial. Was it custom-made by Omega to meet customer expectations, modified, repaired, or nothing at all?

Some info that might help:

**Manufactured circa ~1970.
    **Is the "wind-up" automatic movement type.
    **17 jewels
    **I have serial number, but not sure if it's wise to post publicly (will share with a moderator or Omega staff).

I have also posted a few pictures. If anyone can provide input that would be great! If I were to resell it, what kind of price can I expect?

Thanks in advance!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. watchlovr Jan 17, 2017

Oh dear, I don't like that at all.

3. Omega>Rolex Jan 17, 2017

Anything helpful would be great;)

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

So your the one that out bid me. There is a longish thread on this already.

Someone built this up from parts from a few different watches. Omega did not make this watch in the configuration, but it is all Omega parts. (Caveat lower)

Watches like this are referred to as frankenwatches.

Parts breakdown

Dial is a service part from 1980. It was on a limited edition 18k white gold, but was available as a factory swap for regular Speedmasters.

The case dates to post 1988 based on caseback.

The hands are a mixture from 3 models... broad arrow hour and minute plus one subdial, the Orange is from the racing dial speedmaster. One stock sub dial hand.

The movement is a Frankenstein... serial dates to 1972 but it's built from at least 2 watches hence the mixture of bronze and copper on the movement. The serial number was posted in the auction via the google drive images. There might be "non Omega" parts in the movement as the movement is actually made by Lemania and a few different watchmakers used the movement. They are identical though except for finish. The copper piece and baseplate might not be Omega.

I was going to buy it and put the dark grey Italian hands on it. There is a full set on eBay for about $380.

Since the seller does not take returns if you don't want it anymore pm me.

Edited Jan 17, 2017
    oddboy likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2017

Edited Jan 17, 2017
    Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

The final bid price if looked at as price as parts is not bad when you take the bracelet into consideration. The issue is the state of the movement. It just went past what I would pay for parts with what I planned to do with it with a full service and new hands balanced vs risk on that movement.

If you paid more then final bid contact me via pm I've got some information for you.

Granted reselling the watch is a problem down the road as it will never be worth anything to a collector. In the end it's a hot rod with a movement that has stories, which as we know tend not to sell quickly.

Edited Jan 17, 2017
  7. Omega>Rolex Jan 17, 2017

Thanks for all the replies. It definitely helps, but doesn't *quite* answer all my questions.

I knew the hands to have been swapped as that's a given. And the copper/brass combo was most likely from when it was repaired at some point over its 45+ year lifespan. Not a biggie since it's all verified Omega (granted having all the same color would've been preferable but again, not a big deal). It keeps time accurately and anything I mention or will mention on this thread I was aware of. So it's not a surprise or anything.

The dial, someone mentioned it could've been an Omega factory swap. True or not? Even so, the silver dial seems to be more sought after anyhow heh. I prefer it personally.

So it seems the biggest issue are the hands, yeah? I've seen official kits as some have mentioned for not THAT much considering. Which would you recommend?

If I do decide to replace the hands in the future (not a priority atm), I may as well replace the glass with a new one. This one has a couple long thin scratches. Probably the "discrepancy" also mentioned in the other thread, though it's the glare of a window. I'll see if I can get a better closeup of the glass so that we can see the dial better in different angles.

Should I decide to sell, what's a good selling price? eBay doesn't always have the best prices and their fees are horrendous. So it would be through PayPal or some other reliable payment method. Returns on eBay are meaningless anyway. I buy stuff on there all the time and only really open cases when something is either fake and/or broken. Some bidders think they're shopping at a multi-billion company like Walmart and could careless about what happens to the seller (I buy and I sell so know what it's like).

Anywho, a little off-topic there.. The only reason I talk about selling is *if* I find something I like better..but I may have to look for a looong time. You don't see too many silver dial Moon watches around, even IF it's a "frankenwatch" as some call it haha!

And yeah, I do have the video of the mechanism in motion saved. Not sure how to share it, though.

Edited Jan 17, 2017
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2017

The scratches on the crystal will polish out with a bit of poly watch ( or toothpaste if you want to not wait for some poly watch ) it's hesalite not glass

9. Omega>Rolex Jan 17, 2017

Oh even better! Thanks for the tip!!

PS: I knew it wasn't "glass" of course. Just how everyone mentions that the "glass" on their phones or tablets is scratched, even though it's a mix of silicon and various types of plastics. Not sure about the specifics, but I'm sure you understand the analogy.

PSS: I'll post a close-up of the dial. Are there any other pictures or angles anyone wants to see?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

Regarding "what's a good selling price" the answer is the sum of the parts, which isn't a great deal, likely less than what you paid for it. I'd also note this isn't just an old watch that was manufactured in 1970, the case is a 145.0022 not a 145.022 and given the concoction of parts its most likely it was all thrown together out of a pile of spare parts, case included so the movement serial might come back to a Speedmaster, or a Seamaster or a Deville or anything. Someone had all this laying around and figured they could get more money turning it into a watch than selling it as bits.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

That dial could not have left the factory in that case. That movement could never have left the factory, let alone with that dial, hands, or case. All the parts on this watch can be given a basic age range and none of them match.

That dial"might" have left the factory on a watch but the odds are low and it was most likely purchased at a later date. The dial is highly uncommon but not sought after either, and appears to still be available from Omega at the same cost as a regular dial.

With bracelet my value knowing what I know now about availability on the dial is about $1,800. Keep in mind I was the second highest bidder at just over $2,000. To make this watch presentable you need a new hands and not the normal white hands as they will look odd on that dial. So you have to source black or dark grey hands for another limited edition which comes at a price. So assuming no service on the watch your about 450-500 or more swapping out the hands and replacing the crystal with labor costs. As the movement and case are a mismatch it can never be returned to original. A "hot rod" watch which can be returned to original would not sell for much more then 2,800. That is how I did my evaluation for my bid price. You cannot recoup money reselling the hands as they are not a matched set.

The only reason I mentioned return is I spoke with the seller after the auction closed before it was sold and he was given information that the watch was not as advertised.

Edited Jan 17, 2017
  12. bdp Jan 17, 2017

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

14. alohatime Jan 17, 2017

When you say was available as a factory swap. Does this mean that Omega used to swap OEM parts if requested? Do they still do this? Or is this your skilled civilian making these frankenwatches.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

That isn't even a moonwatch dial it's off a Speedmaster Teutonic.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

It could have been swapped later by anyone and this watch was done that way. My understanding is like the other bezels back then ( telemeter/pulsometer etc) you could have ordered the watch that way.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

Yup your right no beveled edge. Shouldn't comment after Taco Tuesday Beers lol.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

You were right on the era it's almost the same as that other Pro dial

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 21, 2017

Here is one made for Mrs Fruit at the Space Factory some while ago P7280010.jpg
    Teutonic flat dial, racing handset.
    I suppose these things are getting too expensive to do now, but this had an all in cost of about $1500 when I did it

jawkdna, nixf6, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 21, 2017

Find it weird that someone buys a watch of eBay and the next day he is asking how much he can sell it for.
    Not once but a second time after the guy he outbid tells him exactly what it was worth.

Sorry @Omega>Rolex it is worth what you paid.

Cad290, uwsearch and Foo2rama like this.