Forums Latest Members

Japan racing special Speedy '04. $4950

1. watchlovr Oct 20, 2016

2. mattonthewater Oct 20, 2016

tough to say if its real or a franken watch. would need to verify it with Omega by the serial. IMO its overpriced as watch only no matter what.

3. CdnWatchDoc Oct 20, 2016

hqmilton is a highly regarded seller, who takes the time to check the authenticity of their pieces. Franken...I think not!
    These models are highly collectable, and the price is not out of keeping with other sources, but you might find a beaten up piece on eBay...not likely to be running at COSC spec. One can likely buy a racing dial cheaper or a Mk II with a racing dial for cheaper, but not the LE Japanese version.

4. mattonthewater Oct 20, 2016

Not saying it is one, but I would verify it myself before even talking money. Everyone knows Jacek in the watch game, especially vintage Rolex folks. He is one of the best in the biz and I myself have bought a few pieces from him. For no box or papers I think the price is high. I myself am on the hunt for one of these but wouldn't be looking at Submariner money without a full set being present. Just my .02

Ree likes this.
  5. Ree Oct 20, 2016

Noticed this one too. Pretty high asking price. But if it's sold then maybe there can be a new price level for 3570.40 ::popcorn::

6. repoman Oct 20, 2016

New price levels seem to be all the rage lately :eek: !! nothing surprises me anymore. In a year in which I thought the entire watch market would slow down and possibly retrench, I could not have been more wrong. Still lots to learn, that's for sure. Does polywatch work on a crystal ball? :D

arcadelt, Darlinboy, George.A and 2 others like this.
  7. oMenRC51 Oct 20, 2016

daddy like

8. omitohud Oct 20, 2016

I'm still learning about all the speedies. What's the reasonable price for these?

I blame it on the autoconnect.

9. arcadelt Oct 21, 2016

They have gone for that money, but generally within Europe where the cost of VAT on importation needs to be factored in. Across the rest of the world, I think this price is a bit high, especially given that it comes without box and papers. I picked up mine with the box and warranty card for a lot less within the last two months. That said, now that I have one, feel free to spend as much as you like, as I'm always happy to see a kick in the resale values.

[​IMG]

tpatta, davy26 and Ree like this.
  10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2016

If that had box and papers it would have another $500 on it easy...

It was not long back a Jap special sold on here for full asking at @ 6500 CHF = $6500 £5300

Two years ago these were sitting about for a few weeks, mine came from Kringkilly and had sat for a week or so and one buyer flaked if i remember correctly.

I was chatting to @repoman last night re values of certain pieces and yes it has gone mad, I think we can put this down to older models that are out of reach to many but a newer reference is available like the 3570.40. The 35th Anniversary is another, last week one sold in the UK privately for £8500!! New that watch was £1600 in 2004. Some people say that if your buying for investment don't buy a watch, I say if your buying as an investment(s) do your research and look at what values were new compared to todays price to buy but remember, not all pieces make money. The Speedmaster 'sector' on the whole is advancing weekly in some cases in terms of values.

Vintage wise - The more original and unmolested a piece is the more its worth. DEFINITELY do your research before jumping in to that territory as thats like a mine field.

arcadelt likes this.
  11. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 21, 2016

I'm also a recent buyer and highly pleased with its reality after a long period wishing for one. When you consider the highly distinctive 'look' of the dial and that this is a relatively recently made watch - with all that implies in terms of condition/serviceability - I think the current price level is reasonable. I know that for some the appeal of a 60s Speedy model is overwhelming, but you're then paying far more than for a 3570.40 and you're likely to have condition/originality/service issues. BTW Harry - glad to see you've now acquired - and I note you've got the better box, so I'm envious!
    18-09-16.jpg

nixf6, GregH, oMenRC51 and 1 other person like this.
  12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2016

If we are sharing pics may as well post mine up...

[​IMG]

nixf6, GregH, Fordex and 3 others like this.
  13. arcadelt Oct 21, 2016

No need for any envy David: you got the better price. Besides, the wooden box is just a few £ away if you want one as I believe they are still available from ADs. Anyway, very happy with my trio, and content to sit now (for a little while at least)!

[​IMG]

Malthus101, GregH and Barada7 like this.
  14. mattonthewater Oct 21, 2016

Jacek actually emailed me, he verified it with Omega and it sold this morning. That's insanity lol

15. oMenRC51 Oct 21, 2016

+1

16. rcs914 Oct 21, 2016

That's pretty high I think - but maybe not for an actual verified one. I guess to me though there is almost NO appeal in having one that is specifically within the serial number range, vs a standard 3570.50 with the correct dial and hands.

17. watchlovr Oct 21, 2016

And sold, someone thought it was ok I guess.

18. abrod520 Oct 21, 2016

It's a cool watch, but I couldn't justify buying any modern limited-edition watch without the full kit.

DLT222 likes this.
  19. arcadelt Oct 21, 2016

I often wonder where this boundary lays: is it 15, 30, 50 years? Some watches lose their full set from the moment they are first bought, while others have the boxes and/or papers for years - at what point does it cross the threshold of acceptability? Surely if a watch is desirable, missing boxes and papers must just be a factor in price negotiations rather than a deal breaker. Moreover, watch accoutrements can be repurchased from authorised and private sources, and their authenticity is not always assured, so they may not really provide surety at all.

20. abrod520 Oct 21, 2016

A regular watch is fine without B&P though I'd say 10 years would be the cutoff. Any watch bought after the rise of Hodinkee should likely have its box & papers.

A limited edition watch however - and especially one, like this, that can be easily replicated with readily available parts on the secondary market - should have its box & papers. The Japan Racing didn't have any special accoutrements like most LEs, so I can certainly understand why nothing might be kept, but I see Speedyorites and Apollo XI 35ths etc often offered without the special kit.