Forums Latest Members

James Auctioneers London - bad experience

1. Norfolk Oct 30, 2015

This is an online auction outfit based in England. I have had a very bad experience with them after buying something and being sent something different to that illustrated. I will be seeking legal redress. Wondered if anyone else on here has had dealings with them?

2. WatchVaultNYC Oct 30, 2015

Maybe you should tell us your story?

devnull and Geo! like this.
  3. abrod520 Oct 30, 2015

I know it's pithy and stupid but: ::popcorn:: :D

nightowl likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 30, 2015

Well they cannot keep a website up to date

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 30, 2015

Waiting for the full story please. :whistling::whistling:

6. Norfolk Nov 3, 2015

Sorry for delay - baby duties!

I won an online auction for a model car, several hundred pounds in price. The photo in the listing showed a mint example, as new, staight from the box. I recieved one which could only be described as heavily playworn, broken, scratched, missing parts like mirrors, wipers, dented roof, old glue holding in a broken screen. A child had clearly had some fun - as if my baby had got her hands on it!

I took some photos, screen grabs of the auction listing, emailed them immediately on receipt and expected the auction house to say," Oh yes, sorry, we sent the wrong model". Instead I got "It must have got broken in transit, you bid on a model and that is what you have, read our terms and conditions etc". I have a feedback over 4000 on Ebay and have been collecting models and watches for 15 years and I have never had an experience like this. They were rude, dismissive, agressive, unhelpful and implied I was lying and that the model was damaged in transit and I had not taken additional insurance out.

Several emails and letters later I am now going down the legal route. It is not about the money but the principle of the thing - this company were just so bad in dealing with a genuine issue and clearly had either sent out the wrong model, listed the wrong model. or what is worse, been deliberately deceptive in sending out a worthless item and passing it off in a listing as a perfect example.

I note their site also sells watches so wanted to warn others of my experience and see if anyone else had a similar one. I think you would not be too happy if you bought a watch shown as new and a worn one turned up!

I have referred the company to Trading Standards as their terms and conditions are in clear breach of the Consumer Proection Act 2015. I also reported them to various associations acting for auction houses. Surprisingly they were not a member of any, the last membership lapsing in August 2015. I pointed out their website still showed membership and it was hastily amended a few hours later.

Not a good experience.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 3, 2015

This sounds like a company in financial difficulties to me. So even if you win, your judgment may not be worth the paper it's printed on.

I don't know the law in the UK, but here in the US, corporate debts generally can't be forced to the owners unless willful fraud can be proven. It is a much tougher standard than a civil judgment for misrepresentation.
    gatorcpa