Forums Latest Members

SOLD Jaeger LeCoultre JLC Master Geographic

1. gwzymytk Jul 6, 2017

OK, this is going to be painful. In an attempt to raise funds to cover for one of my latest acquisitions (a Seamaster 300 you may have noticed in the WRUW thread a few days back), I am forced to let go one of the watches that I absolutely love but don't get to wear that much lately.

So... For sale, for a limited time only, my Jaeger LeCoultre - JLC - Master Geographic ref. 142.8.92.S - the 38 mm variant with a black dial and see-through back.
    I have acquired this as pre-owned a while back, being one of my first "serious" acquisitions, but it doesn't get the wrist time it deserves. I, however, spend hours contemplating the marvelous mechanism through the sapphire case-back.

01.jpg

Case size: 38 mm excluding crown.
    Height: 10.2 mm
    Lug size: 19 mm

Case: 38 mm excluding crown, making it an awesome classic thin wearer (10.2 mm height). The 19 mm lug size fit the case perfectly, along with the svelte lug design. Never polished while in my possession.
    Has multiple swirls, scratches and some dings that can be seen in pictures. The inside of the lugs have some scratches from clumsy strap changes (not mine!).

Caseback: see-through sapphire crystal is a particularity of this reference (the regular white-dialed 37 mm version has a solid case back). The metal part shows some scratches, dings and swirls. Inscriptions are still crisp, with the exception of the serial which seems more faded than the others (may be the way it's printed, in smaller, more shallow fonts).

Sapphire: flawless from what I can see. JLC doesn't normally apply AR coating on their crystals (exception being the extreme versions of their compressor line, if I recall correctly). The warm way it catches light is very nice in everyday use and makes it rather difficult to photograph properly.

Dial: impeccable black dial. The dark theme does wonders for readability. Applied hour markers/logo and all inscriptions are, of course, flawless.

Hands: in great shape, can't find any flaws upon normal inspection.

Crowns/hidden pusher: original and properly functioning.

Movement: It houses the Jaeger Calibre 929/3 based on the JLC 889/1 to which a power reserve indicator and multi-timezone complication were added.
    Extraordinary 38 jewels in-house movement, adjusted to 6 positions and taken through the 1000 hours master control test. Beautifully decorated and an absolute wonder to look at.
    Wasn't serviced while in my possession, no known service history.
    Cannot guarantee accuracy within any range, I simply never wore this for the whole 40-hours power reserve to check how it runs. All functions, however, work as intended - date changes, 2nd timezone is fully functional etc.

For those not familiar with the extraordinary functionality: it shows the power reserve, date, 2nd time zone (with a quick-setting disk containing some cities representative for various timezones), a daytime/nightime window and has a central seconds hand with hacking function. The 10 o'clock crown adjusts time of small timezone subdial, based on city selection. The hidden pushers sets the date on the dedicated recessed subdial.

Strap/deployment: Original 19/16 mm JLC ostrich strap, used, with wear marks on the inside and a bit of material missing at one end. Original JLC deployment clasp, 16 mm, with signs of wear (swirls and small scratches).

Box/Papers: No, this is how I've got it.
    -----------------------------------------

Price: EUR 4000. EU deal preferred, shipping by TNT included. Bank transfer only. [conditions changed 24.06.19]
    I am a private collector and this watch belongs to my collection; I can not offer any warranty or returns, as per EU regulations.
    -----------------------------------------

Item is located in Craiova, Romania, within the EU. All duties or any other additional taxes are the sole responsibility of the buyer. I will provide step-by-step pictures/scans of the packaging and shipping process but once the package leaves my hands I have no power over it.
    I am a buyer/seller on Ebay under the same username since September 2000 (wow, almost 17 years!) and have 100% positive feedback with over 635 transactions (over 1366 individual transactions!) and many watches shipped to multiple locations (USA, Canada, the UK, the Netherlands etc.). For any other trust-related issues I can provide further credentials or proof of identity.

I also have several references on WUS, both as a seller and as a buyer. I can provide reference for other transactions as well (Omega 2254.50, Heuer Montreal sold to a very reputable dealer etc.). Also sold twice on Breitlingsource and once on UhrForum.de (where I've also purchased some stuff).
    Many successful transactions on OF, one as a buyer and most as a seller (my Longines Chronograph went to Austria, my Blancpain went to France, made several UK buyers happy, accommodated transactions up north etc.).

Smooth and troublefree transaction with gwzymytk!
    great buying experience with gwzymytk
    great transaction with gwzymytk
    gwzymytk - Trusted seller
    gwzymytk is a great seller
    gwzymytk great seller
    gwzymytk is the best seller ever (probably)
    gwzymytk - Great buyer
    I bought a Longines Conquest Watch from gwzymytk and am very happy!
    gwzymytk - very positive experience
    gwzymytk good experience. Great seller. To repeat.
    gwzymytk - A very good buyer

I cannot take any returns for this item unless grossly misrepresented by me in the description and/or pictures. Please observe carefully, read the entire description and ask all questions prior to committing. No warranty.

Thank you OF for hosting my ad!
    All proceedings will go towards watches and watch-related stuff ;)

Pictures - please click on them to enlarge.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

Edited Jun 24, 2019
  2. R3D9 Jul 6, 2017

Wow, that is a beautiful dial. GLWS.

3. gwzymytk Jul 6, 2017

Thank you!
    It deeply saddens me to see this go, and will happily take it off the sales forum if I manage to raise funds by other means to make up for the recent Seamaster acquisition :)

4. gwzymytk Jul 8, 2017

Going up once :)
    To answer some questions that I received via messages:

1. No idea what customs duties are to be paid. Full value will be declared by me and overseas shipping will be handled by TNT here.

2. No idea when a service will be required, or at what cost.

3. Price is slightly negotiable, but don't expect much. Factoring in usual maintenance you are still getting a great deal on an awesome piece, plus you have the certainty of getting it serviced by JLC yourselves.

Edited Jul 8, 2017
    George.A, propervinyl and Larry S like this.
  5. gwzymytk Jul 9, 2017

To the top!

6. gwzymytk Jul 10, 2017

Since people seem a bit reluctant due to servicing costs - I can have it serviced with my watchmaker (who does wonders - I believe at least @George.A can concur) and even apply a light polishing of most of the swirls, at no additional costs.

If this is an option one would prefer, the price is EUR 3650 firm and includes shipping by TNT within the EU, paid by fee-less transfer methods.

R3D9 likes this.
  7. gwzymytk Aug 12, 2017

So, watch is back from service.
    However, bad news for whoever was interested, as I've decided to keep it for now :)
    It's a lot of watch for the money, and frankly I cannot replace it with anything better at the moment.

WITHDRAWN.

Larry S and hamster like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 12, 2017

Classic.. decide to sell, then get it serviced and now that it is your focus, fall in love again. Good move!

Joe_A, 89-0, wx_073 and 4 others like this.
  9. gwzymytk May 15, 2019

In light of a new acquisition I will make one more try to get this sold.
    Wore it a good 10 times in these last two years, so condition hasn’t changed substantially.

If anyone interested, give me a shout. Price is firm and new pictures will be added (condition is the same, but for conformity I'll make fresh ones).

Edited May 15, 2019
    Rasmusbjoernskov likes this.
  10. gwzymytk May 20, 2019

Some members asked about the polish: I've only serviced the watch, not polished it, so condition is roughly the same as it was back then.
    After discussing it with my watchmaker, we both agreed that preserving the original aspect of the watch is for the best.

The watch is a scratch mini-magnet and all scratches are greatly exaggerated in pictures taken under artificial light. It does have a lot of micro-scratches, which it did back in 2017, and the small nicks that can be seen in the first pictures are still there, of course.
    Weather is pretty bad, so I will postpone the new pictures for a bit longer.

Here it is on my cheap eBay bought Chinese vibrograph, dial up, after 20 seconds of testing. This is in no way proof that it will perform like this once on the wrist, in various wearing positions etc. More a proof of authenticity, sort to say.
    2019-05-20 20.25.22.jpg

11. gwzymytk May 23, 2019

Several members interested in the watch.
    I was asked about import taxes - I sincerely have no idea about any taxes imposed by your government.

To simplify things further - I will not ship this watch outside the EU, so taxes won't be an issue :)
    Updated first post. Also not accepting PP any longer, not even from long-standing members etc.

Some attempts from two days ago, in harsh light that kind of over-amplifies scratches. Tried to avoid reflections as much as possible, but it was really hard.
    2019-05-21 16.21.25.jpg
    2019-05-21 16.22.39.jpg
    2019-05-21 16.22.07.jpg
    2019-05-21 16.22.32.jpg
    2019-05-21 16.24.44.jpg

aatruong, Lonestar and George.A like this.
  12. ext1 May 23, 2019

I had a friend who hunted very hard for the silver dial version of this exact model. He was a very picky guy about comfort and size fitting and this watch fit the bill for him. Super nice watch... GLWS!!!

gwzymytk likes this.
  13. gwzymytk May 26, 2019

14. gwzymytk May 30, 2019

Up!

Received two inquiries from US-based members.
    I have looked over TNT's delivery terms, and at least according to their website they appear to be working only with commercial entities here in Romania (for overseas transactions, at least). So I am not sure I can ship with them, me being a private individual.

Also, regarding payments - I have read some horror stories regarding PayPal's recent practices. Not selling anything in the last two years means I had no idea how they operated lately, but I see they are quite keen on punishing the receivers of large sums over Friends and Family transactions, keeping money "hostage" or forcing sellers to declare their account as "commercial".

So, to sum it up - NO PayPal, irrespective of references, and a much-preferred EU-only deal (will have to sort shipping options out, but most likely I won't be able to find anything good/secure enough at this time).

15. gwzymytk Jun 4, 2019

Up again.
    Some pretty firm commitments coming from the States, so I talked to TNT and shipping with them seems feasible.
    Based on previous references and acting in good faith, I can exceptionally offer this watch state-side, at my asking price, paid by bank transfer (TNT shipping included).

16. gwzymytk Jun 10, 2019

Up!

17. gwzymytk Jun 16, 2019

Up!

18. gwzymytk Jun 24, 2019

Price increase to EUR 4000.
    Bet you didn't see that coming :)
    Shipping included, payment by bank transfer only. EU deal preferred, outside shipping only to established buyers.

Thank you all for the interest so far and to OF for hosting this!

Edit July 5th: Packed and shipped; will update the thread later on :)

Edited Jul 5, 2019
    Olliedog312 likes this.