Forums Latest Members

JAEGER LE COULTRE FUTUREMATIC WATCH (ON EBAY)

1. KARNAK Aug 4, 2013

Not sure if this is the correct area to put this, Mods please change if required.
    Selling on EBAY is the following watch.

JAEGER LE COULTRE FUTUREMATIC WRIST WATCH ITEM NBR 161077665611, presently 10 bids on it, highest bid £363 with 3 days and 5 hrs to go and looks like it will still keep going.

Advice please from any JLC experts on the merits of this watch, the watch looks in pretty good condition considering it out of the 1950's. A friend of mine is interested in it but I read up on it and it was not good, apparently parts are out of this world that is if you can even get them. They are extremely hard to maintain and it should not be worn continuously and if you overwind it--Good Night Sweethart!!. I have tried to convince him to steer clear of it as all I can forsee is trouble/expense.
    I would appreciate all comments from experts on the forum as to the merits of acquiring this watch, crazy or not;
    Regards.
    Many thanks,
    KARMAK.

2. NT931 Aug 4, 2013

Hi karnak, coincidentally, there was a discussion on a recent thread on the Futurematic and repair considerations, with some important points raised.

For the JLC experts, what is the correct font for the word 'Futurematic'? I see some in italics (like this one), some in normal print.

3. KARNAK Aug 4, 2013

Hi NT93.
    Thank you for the information I will check it out.
    KARNAK

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Couple of points on the posts above:

1. It is virtually impossible to "overwind" a Futurematic movement. There is a built-in protection to keep the mainspring from getting too tight. There's a little pin that pops out and catches the rotor when there is sufficient tension.

2. There are at least 4 fonts that I know of for the word Futurematic on original dials. Plain, script (like the example above), arrow F and none at all (JLC version only). Random examples from the web.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I own one of each of the twin sub-dial and porthole designs. Both are excellent timekeepers, but I don't wear them often for fear of breakage. You can read the linked post regarding my thoughts on the expense of fixing these.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. KARNAK Aug 5, 2013

Hi gatorcpa,
    Thank you for your detailed reply and the pictures, I appreciate it, you obviously are very familiar with this type of watch, I have read on other sites that you are the considered expert on these watches.
    Many thanks,
    Regards,
    KARNAK.