Forums Latest Members
  1. Einstein84 Mar 10, 2017

Hi guys! Long time lurker here and I've been drooling over all the beautiful watches I keep seeing...

I'm in the market for a leather strap chronograph and I've kinda narrowed it down to 2 designs that I really like, the IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-46 (blue numerals blue strap) and the Omega Speedmaster Chronograph Moonwatch CK2998. Yes that's the limited edition with such a beautiful blue dial!

The IWC has a timeless classic design with a youthful twist and pairs very nicely with a suit for weddings and other formal occasions.

The Omega has one of the best looking modern chronograph dials, imo sleeker than the Daytona, and the contrast between the main dials and 3 inset subdials is just sublime.

Size: I have the 36mm Rolex Day Date which fits perfectly on my rather small 6.75inch wrist so both ~44mm dials might be rather bulky. The DD wears larger than its 36mm size though so maybe that's not so much an issue. Anyone has all 3 and care to share a side by side wrist shot?

Style/Versatility: the IWC has a more "business" look to it compared to the sporty look of the Omega - it might be harder to dress down the IWC than dress up the Omega. What's your experience?

Price: the IWC retails for a bit more than the Omega, though I'm not sure about the discounts that the AD in the US give. The Omega probably won't see a significant discount because it's limited edition, but I might be wrong... they might just end up being roughly the same price. Which would hold its value better?

So I'm torn between these two choices... which would you go for and why???

IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG

Speedmaster81 likes this.
  2. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2017

Both beautiful and classic watches... a few thoughts below...

The Omega case dimension is actually only 39.6mm and the IWC 40.6mm...but I think the Omega will look smaller on the wrist as the IWC has a thinner bezel with a larger visible dial.

The Omega is a LE so it will be slightly more exclusive than the IWC.

From a technical perspective the CK2998 has the in-house sturdy 1861 movement, whilst the IWC has the Valjoux based movement (perhaps now Sellita?) with the rotor wobble which some find disturbing.

I find both watches to be more dressy chronographs...for me the CK-2998 LE is one of the most dressy Speedmasters ever released by Omega.

But try them both on your wrist before you make any decision.

Cheers,

RP

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 10, 2017

Well, I am biased and you are on an Omega forum.

You can pick these up on secondary market for about $5500 USD. Retail in the US is $6500.

upload_2017-3-10_9-9-37.png

upload_2017-3-10_9-11-29.png

sensui and Riviera Paradise like this.
  4. WatchWarlock Mar 10, 2017

I think you came to the "wrong" forum to ask, but yes the CK all the way.

Badwolf and Taddyangle like this.
  5. yinzerniner Mar 10, 2017

Unless your wrist is VERY flat/wide or you have very big hands the IWC will look absurdly large. It has longer lugs and the bezel-less single color main dial wears much larger than the CK2998. I actually like the proportions and aesthetics of the 3714 better, but only for my 7.25" wrist. If I had smaller ones the CK2998 would be the one. Dressing down or up will be easier with the CK2998, but color matching will be tougher since there's more blue to account for.

As for "holding its value" the CK2998 has settled into a used value roughly 15% higher than the 3714 of similar age/condition. It's a limited edition so it probably won't get much lower than that, and the 3714 has been around long enough that its popularity and timeless appeal also secure a consistent figure.

Again this is just my $.02 and the final choice is yours, but better to consider all opinions before making your own. Can't really go wrong either way. Good luck with the search!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  6. meganfox17 Mar 10, 2017

I'm a Girl[emoji68]
    Herr Einstein. In Malaysia only a 5% discount off the retail price is offered for IWC models.
    There is absolutely ZERO DISCOUNT on any Omega LE series
    Herr Einstein. The IWC Pilot Chrono / Non Chrono series are the most sought after, commands higher 2nd hand prices & units fly off the shelf easily. Portuguese / da Vinci models not so.
    The 0nly Omega collection series that are Over-rated ,holds its value elegantly and actually appears to gain value albeit rather slowly over time are the LE Speedmasters. Every Single One of 'Em! Period ! The only fascinating exception so far is the SM300 MC Spectre watch. In Malaysia , you need to understand that every bloody watch collector shamelessly wants to be James Bond 007 ! And the price of a pre owned Spectre with that lollipop second hand ( just like the Chrono hand of the CK2998 LE ) is never sub USD 7800 if you manage to find 0ne. Lucky owners will usually smile, give you the middle finger and politely ask you to F☆☆☆ O## !

Here is an example of a pre owned Blue Panda for Sale in Malaysia. Call him Greedy Ugly or Mad Genius but this Seller is offering his "worn , used " blue panda in the local ebay market at an astonishing premium price US 7865 2017-03-11%2001.45.23.png Herr Einstein. In Malaysia , a brand new unworn IWC Portuguese Chrono 3714-46 retails for ~ USD 5485. I just called up a dealer friend of mine who told me the market price of a 1 year old pre owned exact IWC Portuguese model in excellant condition is ~ USD 3708 . So the resale value of this IWC has depreciated by 32%[emoji136]

Uniqez, Deafboy and Riviera Paradise like this.
  7. mdgrwl Mar 10, 2017

they are both awesome... its best to see them both in person and pick the one that sings to you.

I personally LOVE that IWC and own it in my personal collection.

Einstein84 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  8. KSquared Mar 10, 2017

Longtime lurker here. When faced with a decision between the IWC 3714-45 (I think) -- the one with gold numbers, and a moonwatch, I chose the IWC. So I did this comparison many times. A few comments:

The IWC does wear larger, from some angles. Most notably, looking straight at it (as in telling the time). It comes off as all dial since the bezel matches the dial and is under the crystal. This is why it looks big in most wrist shots. But from farther away, as in your view in a full-length mirror, it looks similar to any other 41mm watch.

Someone above mentioned that the IWC has much longer lugs than a Speedmaster. It does not; they are similar in that regard.

The IWC will dress up better, particularly with the gold numerals. It's not super fancy or delicate, but it is more so than any Speedmaster, IMHO. The IWC will dress down too, but I wouldn't wear it for rugged activities. (I have a Watchco SM300 for that, which helped my decision.) Also, fwiw, the IWC has no lume.

I don't currently have a Speedmaster, so sorry no wrist shots! But I will one day; that's why I'm always lurking here....

9. munichblue Mar 10, 2017

I would, erm..., I went for this. Pictures appeal to the eye...

IMG_1003.JPG

Riviera Paradise and Taddyangle like this.
  10. Shibata Mar 10, 2017

That's a tough choice. If it's going to be an everyday wear I would personally choose the CK2998.

11. Einstein84 Mar 10, 2017

Ah yes it seems I was mistaken with the dial size because both seem significantly larger... I'll definitely have to try them on, if my local Omega AD still has stock for the CK2998.

I didn't know about the wobble issues... think I'll research a bit more to see if that turns out to be a dealbreaker. Thanks for sharing!

12. Einstein84 Mar 10, 2017

That leather texture provides a very nice contrast to the clean dial! I haven't seen too many on the forums though, and I have my doubts about eBay... where else would you suggest? And also thanks for sharing photos!

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. Einstein84 Mar 10, 2017

Indeed I was wondering if I should ask some "neutral" forum to see what people thought... the IWC forum would probably recommend 3714 haha!

14. KSquared Mar 10, 2017

[QUOTE="I didn't know about the wobble issues... think I'll research a bit more to see if that turns out to be a dealbreaker. Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]
    The rotor wobble is a "princess and the pea" thing. You have to be looking for it.

15. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2017

With that SS bracelet the CK2998 does become the no-brainer option for more versatile (dress-up / dress-down) wear:thumbsup:

I would agree when comparing the IWC 3714-45 with gold numerals with a standard Speedy Pro. For this specific comparison, 3714-46 blue numerals vs CK 2998 on the blue leather strap, I consider them to be pretty much "dress" equivalent. Have you tried both on the wrist?

Really? Then I would say that there are a lot of "princesses" in the internet forums:) Joking aside I agree it is not a major issue, but it is worth pointing out and setting expectations...at least we can help avoid that inevitable newbie post so common for a newbie 3714 purchase "funny rotor noise / funny wobble...is there something wrong...blah, blah etc.:rolleyes:"

16. Apollo13 Mar 10, 2017

Definitely CK, I am so sure it will hold your money a lot better than the IWC if you care about those sorts of things.

In terms of the watch itself, the CK IMO is a lot more aesthetically pleasing. I tried on some IWCs of a similar calibre and I truly believe they just don't hug the wrist quite as well as a speedy.

I also feel the speedy is a lot more versatile, suits a larger range of straps/bracelet and for me personally works very well as a smart casual or even business attire watch as well as for a lounge polo type day too.

Hope this helps and good luck!

17. alam Mar 10, 2017

..between those two, I'd go for the IWC; the CK is a bit flamboyant for my own personal taste...

18. meganfox17 Mar 10, 2017

Fan + alam + boy + toy = flamboyant [emoji136]

19. alam Mar 10, 2017

did u say flan? oh yes baby, any time!!!

:p

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.53.25 PM.png
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 10, 2017

I'm an IWC guy, But that his one of my favorite speedy reference. So in this case the speedy, more versatile and robust.

I have a Portuguese chrono ( limited edition Laureus blue dial) and I look over it. I actually like the " woble" and buzz....It somehow keeps making me aware of the mechanics....It's alive.

But I'd still go with the speedy in your case. It's good for every occasion and as I said before: robust

Edited Mar 10, 2017
    Riviera Paradise likes this.