Forums Latest Members

IWC Mark XVIII Edition "Tribute to Mark XI"

1. ReturnOfUltraman Feb 22, 2018

2. keepitsimple Feb 22, 2018

Have to agree. It was always a great design, but IWC are really taking the **** with the price. Frankly, I'd prefer a standard movement like the Sellita over an IWC in-house anyway, but only for a much lower price. You could possibly even find an original at fairly close to what they are asking.

Haven't seen one in the flesh. Until recently they were only sold at Harrods in the UK.

The mkii Hawkinge is a much more affordable alternative, but I'm not impressed with the NE15 movement (OK, I have only one watch that uses it, so not quite a valid statistical sample perhaps :unsure:) It aint bad, but in the same sort of price range, not nearly as good as any of the eta's I have.

Worth consideration though if it's only the "look" that you're after. I keep putting it on my list then thinking twice, especially as I'd have to import it, they (over)charge for delivery to here, and then there are taxes to add, so all that puts me off.

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/hawkinge

Edit: as an added bonus, you can also get the Hawkinge without a date, like the originals, and it's a better size (38mm) closer to the originals (I think 36mm) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited Feb 22, 2018
    ReturnOfUltraman likes this.
  3. keepitsimple Feb 22, 2018

...there are websites, (and seemingly whole lives ;)) devoted to the JLC and IWC MkXI originals, the origin of the watch, and all the arcane variations and developments over time

If ever you can't sleep, this is a good read.

Still a great watch design though.

http://www.markeleven.com/

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2018

Subtract 3 grand and the IWC logo and get a Laco or stowa...

Why no onion crown on the IWC????

5. ReturnOfUltraman Feb 22, 2018

But how on earth would I impress all my watch friends WITHOUT overpaying for a simple movement and fancy logo?? :D
    In all honesty, if this was priced more accordingly for what IWC is offering, I'd be happy to drop even $2,500.00 max for it. Still reluctant of the size upgrade, date window, and more importantly the basic movement. I mean.. For that kind of money, possibilities are endless.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. R3D9 Feb 22, 2018

I personally loved this watch from the moment I saw it. In fact, my wife was visiting London at the time it was an exclusive in Harrod’s and I made her go see it and send me a selfie with it on her wrist... there is a bemused salesperson in the background of the picture who apparently didn’t understand why I would make such a request.

For me, I think it’s the nicest implementation of faux-patina-lume that I’ve seen and that’s what really attracted me to it.

I’d agree that the MSRP is ridiculous for the actual quality of what you get, but usually non-limited versions of this watch end up going for much more reasonable prices on the grey market. Not sure what this trades for.

I don’t know... not a rational opinion here from me on this one... I just love the look. This or the Petit Prince version would definitely be something I’d like to pick up at some point.

7. keepitsimple Feb 22, 2018

Well, I've got a Stowa - excellent watches for the price, but they have nothing really like a Mk XI. Ditto Laco (tho' I don't have one).

Mk XI tribute must at least have a squared off hour hand, even though a few of the originals didn't.

Onion crown ? I really don't think so...:eek:

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2018

What the difference? The movements are similar and the hands on the IWC don’t match flieger specs, most likely intentional.

9. keepitsimple Feb 22, 2018

Well....to explain - the MK XI design was specified by the MoD for the RAF. The flieger spec. (the clue is in the language) was for the LUFTWAFFE. There is a difference, including a few unfortunate historical issues between them....I think you are right to assume that not following the flieger spec. was probably intentional :whistling:

The IWC modern tribute is a close copy of the original watch as produced by them (and JLC too) to the MoD's spec..

Its main problems are the date (there shouldn't be one) the size (too big) and as has been pointed out earlier, the price. At a guess, allowing for inflation, the originals were probably in a similar price range, although not sold to the public at that time, but they also had the famous IWC cal 89 movement in them.

If you just want any old pilots watch there are thousands to choose from at all prices, but there are not many modern close replicas of the Mk XI.

Edited Feb 22, 2018
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2018

Thanks for explaining what I know. Except for the UK connection.

My point was quality to movement to feature this IWC is not a particularly good deal.