Forums Latest Members

IWC Mark II (RAAF 1957 issue) what do you think of hand re-lume?

1. blubarb Jun 21, 2016

A little time ago I got my IWC Mark 11 (1957 RAAF issue) back from Shaffhaussen after some serious repair was required. They did a fantastic job as you would expect. They replaced the dial and hands which was okay with me as they returned both to me. The old dial is in good condition but the tritium had fallen out of the hands and they were returned as shells. I have cleaned and filled hands with vintage lume colour on many occasions and so decided to add my own paste tinted to match the dial. I did not touch the dial markers. I am very happy with the result and prefer the filled hands than just empty skeleton hands on the dial. I have not attached these to the watch as I might sell the watch one day soon and if I do I will leave that to the new owner to decide. Not sure if I did the right thing or not from the collector's point of view, but I think they should be okay and seem to match well. Should I have left alone? Thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

GregH and watchknut like this.
  2. leetse2 Jun 21, 2016

I think it looks great and you did the right thing. It is probably a more attractive watch to many collectors with the lume filled in.

blubarb likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 21, 2016

Good job.. Some better pics would help.

I also agree generally about refilling hands. It takes a special watch to pull off skeleton hands - whether by design or by age.

Darlinboy and blubarb like this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 21, 2016

Your watch, your choice. Don't take it too seriously.

blubarb likes this.
  5. blubarb Jun 21, 2016

Okay, you are now my official sponsor, NP! "Hi may name is John and I am a WIS..." :rolleyes:

I wish I had this good advice when "the affliction" first appeared many moons ago. When the bank balance looked reasonable and the ex-wives thought "he'll be okay, it's a passing thing, he'll get over it..." :eek::eek:

Has to be my new signature. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Wit up, we don't have signatures on OF do we...Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right...?

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 22, 2016

Crappy photo, but the dial and hands both look good. For me, relumed hands (iff done well) are not a big deal.

If I were buying, I'd want them on the watch vs. the service replacements.

voere and blubarb like this.
  7. blubarb Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, I have to improve my iPhone skills - will consider it in the next financial year

8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 22, 2016

Nice job
    Speaking for myself since the lume was already missing I figure no harm no foul!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 22, 2016

Looks OK from a distance John, and probably close up one would have to allow for the original condition of the hands.

It's a fine line to tread when working with vintage WWWs, but then again, so many of them were re-lumed in instrument workshops by RAAF and RAF Instrument Fitters when they were just considered a tool watch.