Forums Latest Members

Iwc case problem, how to open ? Help needed ...

1. MacRulez4Ever Sep 17, 2014

Hello I got this vintage square iwc watch but I can't really figure out how to open the back case? Don't want to bend and push to hard without knowing how the case is built.

Any one who know how to to ?

Best regards / J
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Spy You know my name. Sep 17, 2014

Take it to a watchmaker.

P.S. Why do you want to open the back?

3. MacRulez4Ever Sep 17, 2014

I want to check if it need some cleaning and service

4. Spy You know my name. Sep 17, 2014

I, myself, would take it to a watchmaker to have it opened. But if you can try using a razor blade to slide between the case and case back and gently open it that way. I use this to open my stopwatch when showing its movement to people.

46_TE05-091.jpg

5. MacRulez4Ever Sep 17, 2014

The thing is that it cost pretty much to just send it away and get it checked, it had been easier to just open it self and check things out. And the razor blade trick might just work :) i will try later !

Tnx

6. Spy You know my name. Sep 17, 2014

Anytime.

7. ulackfocus Sep 17, 2014

8. Spy You know my name. Sep 17, 2014

Only Dennis. :D

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 17, 2014

The case might be a front loader, meaning that the movement comes out of the front, after the crystal is removed. If that is the case, you will certainly need special tools to take a looksy.

10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 17, 2014

You have WAY too much free time. Great blast from the past.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 17, 2014

How would you know if it needs work? It's not as obvious as you might think to see the condition of a movement...I use a microscope, and timing machine observations to determine the health of a movement - but even then you can't see everything you need to see.

The watch case looks like it's in nice shape - I think if you have to ask how to open it, you should probably just take it to your watchmaker. It might cost some money, but it might save the case from damage.

Cheers, Al

12. MacRulez4Ever Sep 18, 2014

I have a watchmaker that helps me, but he has never opened an iwc case like this before. So I agree I can't see if it needs service etc, but he can and he can do a services if needed. But we have to get the case to open first :)

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 18, 2014

It looks like there is a cut-out adjacent to the lug, where the back meets the case, so I'm wondering if the case is like the Zenith Respirator case.

With the Zenith, you have to slide something very thin into each of the four holes to retract a spring-loaded pin (by pushing down on the chamfered edge of the pin. I presume there was a special tool for this, back in the day but it can by a real PITA. I have never managed more than two pins at the same time and have given up in frustration each time (it may be that the pins on mine are very stiff) but I believe that LouS has succeeded before.

14. MacRulez4Ever Sep 18, 2014

It seems that you are closest to the problem. And I understand that push the four pins at same time seems hard ;) I have to build my self a four pin pucher ! And maybe then I manage to open it hahaha or other wise four human hands may be will do the trick !

Tnx

15. ulackfocus Sep 18, 2014

Taking a peak at the condition of the oil at where and axel meets it's hole jewel is one quick indication. You need at least a 5x loupe. Doesn't guarantee the whole movement is clean and oiled, but it can give you a rough idea.

MacRulez4Ever likes this.
  16. Spy You know my name. Sep 18, 2014

Agreed.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2014

A rough idea indeed. Very rough. The problem with this is that you can only see at most 1/2 of the train jewels without removing the hands, dial, and dismantling the dial side if there is a calendar. If the watch is an automatic, that would have to be removed to see the train side jewels.

Although visual inspection is certainly part of what is done to know if a watch is in good working order, it is far from being definitive. 5X is no where near enough magnification to see what's really going on. I good quality binocular microscope at 50X is what you need.

Trust me, I see watches all the time where the visible jewels look well oiled, then deeper in the movement you find completely dry jewels. Just disassembled an Omega 1120 last night where some were fine, but the jewels for the barrel arbor in particular were completely dry.

This kind of inspection should be treated like using timing results as an indicator of the need for service - if you see dry jewels then yes it indicates the need for service, but the absence of dry jewels does not mean the watch is okay. If the timing is way off on a watch, it indicates the need for service, but good timing does not mean all is well inside.

Cheers, Al

dta20502 likes this.