Forums Latest Members

IWC allows you to customize your own watch. A new trend?

1. amanson Mar 19, 2018

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2018

Yes, other brands do this, for example Vacheron has offered their Atelier Cabinotiers service for a number of years now.

This type of service does not usually make it down to the mid-tier brands, but it looks like that may be changing.

Cheers, Al

amanson and citizenrich like this.
  3. watchos Mar 20, 2018

I really love this idea. Had fun configuring a bunch yesterday. The funny thing is that I stuck to very similar options every single time. I guess personal tastes don't vary regardless of how many times you run those. Hence why not so many brands do this? People like what they like. And even if they get a few wrong, the purchase decisions are pretty uniform?

There's always a small something I'd change from the watches brands offer. In this case, I just wanted Arabic numerals on the dial. That wasn't an option.

Perhaps this type of tool helps remove those ifs for potential buyers and increase sales for the industry as a whole from people that hadn't bought a mechanical watch before?

amanson likes this.
  4. heccsat Mar 20, 2018

I like the idea. My only concern would be the resale value. I think it makes it harder to sell if it's customized, but who knows.

amanson, turbo_muc and gdupree like this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 20, 2018

Pretty Cool: Here's mine :)
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 12.55.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 12.55.09 PM.png

6. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2018

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2018

Not the same thing clearly...

"Blaken® is an independent company and is in no way connected with or licensed by Rolex S.A.. "

mayankyadav and Foo2rama like this.
  8. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2018

Thats correct but still you can get your custom made watch. Blaken exists for quite some time and they are probably tolerated by Rolex (they have to be sourced in a way) because they serve a different customer group in a way which Rolex would never do in its conservative approach.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2018

There are plenty of companies out there that customize watches made by others. They are not done by the brand and don't come with brand warranties, and you won't be able to get them serviced by the brand. These companies have been around for a long time, but that's not really what this thread is about...

amanson, mayankyadav and Nobel Prize like this.
  10. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2018

Please correct me if I am wrong but IMO this thread is just about what people make it to be about.

Whilst I appreciate your opinion from my perspective it is not so much of a difference for the customer whether he has the option to configure his watch on the site of a professional third party with a combined brand of the professional third party/manufacturer or at the manufacturer site itself. It is both about the joy of trying out different things in a configurator and receiving a customised piece on the end.

It is just natural that manufacturers itself start doing it if there is a market for it. There will be just some manufacturers like Rolex which will probably not do it somewhen in the future due to their conservative marketing approach.

Might be interesting to see whether the resale values are better for manufacturer custom configured or third (renowned) party configure watches. A good point for discussion I think ;)

amanson likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2018

Well the OP asked what other brands do this, not what other third parties do this...

But het how about those Raptors! They are having a spectacular season, and think they really have a shot at the Championship this year, don't you agree?

Modest_Proposal and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 20, 2018

Raptors very good but still have to get past Lebron (toughest out together with Tom Brady in sports) and then there's the Warriors (if healthy) and the Rockets.

13. Perseus Mar 20, 2018

I think it's pretty cool, and a great way to keep customers from buying gray market or second hand.

14. amanson Mar 20, 2018

I was aware that here are companies that will customize your watches. That is not specific to Rolex. I was just not aware of the brands themselves having a configurator like this.

Interesting that VC does this too. I was not aware of that. It doesn’t look like they have a configurator like IWC.

Interesting thought on resale @turbo_muc. I suppose it may depend on whether the choice made is generally appealing or not. On the other hand, rarity can dictate price over time but I would think less so in this case since it is not an LE (natural or artificial).

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 20, 2018

I'd agree with Al, a brand customizing watches for their clients is different from a third party. On value alone if you have a certified "one of" made by the brand it can become very valuable or at least retain value. If it's third party it may be just as cool but would become a franken.

Edited Mar 20, 2018
    Archer and amanson like this.
  16. ClarendonVintage Mar 20, 2018

I am surprised they literally put Rolex models, signed 'Rolex' as templates for you to design

17. strick9 Mar 21, 2018

I love my modded Seiko divers mostly for the fact its a Seiko and no watches were hurt in this mod

DSC_1007.jpgttuna.jpg
    Mtek, kkt and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 21, 2018

A face only a mother or father can love....

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 21, 2018

My eyes on the other hand ;)

Archer and Nobel Prize like this.
  20. kkt Mar 22, 2018

I kinda like the color scheme. My mom would have liked it for the colors, she never did find a watch she was happy with. (Antique family watch, broke and couldn't find anyone able to repair it, and a fashion quartz that didn't last long before it wasn't keeping time properly)

Foo2rama likes this.