Forums Latest Members

I've never known a seller be so economical with truth

1. Davidt Aug 12, 2019

The seller will be known to many members here as he used to be a member (or maybe he still is?).

Anyway, it's what some would consider a minor detail but he's just achieved a very strong price for his 145.012, in part due to his high on hype, low on actual content descriptions. What really bothered me is the fact the endlinks are aftermarket. He waxes lyrical about this and that throughout his description but when it comes to the bracelet all we get is:

The Strap
    Correct 1039
    The classic "Speedy" Watch strap
    Sprung Link
    Full Size
    Excellent clasp

No mention of the fact that the endlinks which are worth several hundred pounds are not genuine. The worst part is, he generally knows his stuff and he's well aware they aren't genuine, so he's just ommited to mention them.

I don't really feel many collectors buy from him but newbies or people who don't know the minutiae of various references clearly do and the way his listing reads instills undeserved confidence that everything is 100% correct.

I appreciate this may seem like a minor transgression but he does it constantly. Remember the black dial Connie? Rant over.

EDIT: TURNS OUT THE NON ORIGINAL ENDLINKS WERE DISCLOSED BY THE SELLER IN THE PREVIEW OF THE DESCRIPTION, BUT FOR SOME REASON THIS DIDNT SHOW UP IN THE MAIN DESCRIPTION WHICH WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT. THEREFORE, MY CRITICISM ISNT JUSTIFIED IN THIS CASE.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163800804526

IMG_4391.PNG

IMG_4392.PNG

Edited Aug 12, 2019
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 12, 2019

Always sad to see stuff like this. Thanks for keeping him on the radar of ones to be very careful with.

JesterP likes this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 12, 2019

Not good... :thumbsdown:

I think it’s positive to keep sharing this kind of observations, well done :thumbsup:

Mtek likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 12, 2019

Thanks David. Is that such a strong price though? It kind of fits SM101 ‘good’ plus a bit for the bracelet ... seems to be in overall good condition (feel free to tell me I’m mad). When I first saw this listing the OCD in me got sore eyes within about 1 nanosecond of seeing those EL’s.

5. Davidt Aug 12, 2019

It's a lovely watch but I think it's also a strong price. Even with the pound on its arse, it's approaching 11k US (or more like 12k for a comparison).
    Maybe you're right though (at least two people agree as it reached market value in open auction). Hopefully the buyer was well aware that the ELs were aftermarket.

What grinds me is that he clearly knew and even though it's a nice watch and would have achieved a strong price anyway, he waffles on about stuff unrelated to the actual watch, then omits important information in the interested of squeezing out the tiniest bit of extra profit.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 12, 2019

More like overwound...:mad:

Davidt, Vitezi and wsfarrell like this.
  7. Lazy_Lightning Aug 12, 2019

As someone new to vintage Omega, post likes this are very helpful. I would not have spotted that.

8. default Aug 12, 2019

I have purchased from him already and everything was as as expected. he is not better and also not worse than an average ebay seller I my opinion. For this particular sale, I also would have liked to see him mention the aftermarket end links, but at least they are visible in the pictures.

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 12, 2019

I believe there were some threads a year or two ago where he asked for opinions on originality, etc., and then was identified a little later as posting FS ads elsewhere where he omitted the info on the items that were pointed out as not original. Deceit by omission in some peoples' eyes.

10. rcs914 Aug 12, 2019

I guess I would describe those as "aftermarket" rather than "not genuine" since they don't ape the look of originals at all, and there is no number stamped on them. Agreed that it should be pointed out that the endlinks are not original to the bracelet.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 12, 2019

Wasn't he flagged well and truly as a wrongun long ago? I seem to recall something about a dodgy Railmaster or Ranchero. I know he left here under a cloud. One to avoid I would think.

Davidt and Larry S like this.
  12. Walviskroket Aug 12, 2019

If the price is right I don't see anything wrong here... If the price it to high it's a different story

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 12, 2019

It's really about the principle of knowing something is not correct, yet not disclosing it. It says a lot about the seller's moral compass.

14. khanmu Aug 12, 2019

Hmm...whilst the seller seems prone to waffle and hyperbole, in this case he did point out that the end links were replacements and not originals - when you look at the listing, it’s one of the first things in the description (photo attached)... or am I missing something....?

7A9A51FE-705C-435E-B122-5FD95A7E9A0D.png

Edited Aug 12, 2019
  15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 12, 2019

The mob is on the march. Don't get in the way :D
    20292585833_2b5df81809_n.jpg

nonuffinkbloke, gemini4 and Mac5 like this.
  16. Mac5 Aug 12, 2019

Anyone who uses "nuf said" in the description is a red flag for me.

17. Davidt Aug 12, 2019

Good spot. Those notes don't show on mine though and on the main description I was reading it did not say that.

How did you access that part?

I withdraw my initial fire and brimstone if this was disclosed but I spent a good bit of time going through the description and didn't see this anywhere.

Edited Aug 12, 2019
  18. Rochete Aug 12, 2019

I read the listing until "nuf said".

Nathan1967 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 12, 2019

I agree with Mohi that the end links appear to have been adequately disclosed. I do have an issue with the original but incorrect Omega crown being mentioned but not displayed in any pics.

20. khanmu Aug 12, 2019

I just clicked on your link, and it was under the photo on the first screen. It doesn’t appear later on when you go to the detailed description, though this seems to be a fault with Ebay, based on a few other links I clicked...

Davidt likes this.